Does wearing fake nails make your real nails weaker?

Updates:
I can't make mine grow long. They are constantly breaking and chipping, and I'm considering fake ones.

0|0
6|2

Most Helpful Guy

• I've heard that they do but i have not experienced it myself. my nails are still fine.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it does. Only get fake nails done for REALLY special occasions if your real nails look like crap. My nails were super crappy looking as it got closer to homecoming so my mom let me get fake nails done just for the occasion, but again, they do really damage them. If you do get them, when they're removed, get gel nails done so it can help rebuild your nails' strength.

0|0
    0|0
    • is there a difference between fake nails and gel nails?

• Show All
    • Actually I don't know anything about gel nails.. How do you put them on? How long do they last? How do you take them out? How is it that they strengthen your nails?

• You can buy a gel nails kit from Walmart. You don't have to remove them. Gel nails are just a stronger version of nail polish. The chemicals just help.

What Guys Said 1

• no... my nails r still strong n long 8)

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• Yes it does. I used to wear fake nails all the time and finally when I had stopped and decided to grow my real nails out, I realized how bad they were from the various fake nails I used to wear. My nails were chipped. Flimsy. Very easily broken. Now, being a year since I have worn fake nails, my nails are actually coming back into it.

0|0
    0|0
    • mine are already weak, I'm considering fake nails to cover them. I guess it's a bad idea

• There is certain nail polish that will harden your nails.

• Yes, it does!

0|0
    0|0
  • If you don't give them a break, then yes. Constantly wearing acrylic on your nails does weaken them.

0|0
    0|0
    • I can't make mine grow long. They are constantly breaking and chipping, and I'm considering fake ones.

• Show All
    • I eat hippophae but no improvement. I'll get my blood tested. But in the meanwhile my nails look aweful and I'm afraid that if I put fake nails, I'll make them worse

• They will. You're essentially putting a weakener on already weakened nails. They have formulated polish that helps with nail strengthening and growth.

• Yea I started wearing fake nails and not even long after my nails became very weak and brittle so I stopped

You should buy a nail strengthening polish

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, wearing acrylic on your nails can wear them down.

0|0
    0|0