So until last year I wasn't even aware skin whitening was a thing?

It sounds like skin whitening products are popular, in India in particular. I'm honestly sorry to hear that these products even exist, that women feel that they need them. Women of all shades are beautiful. I'm left questioning, though - are whites truly to blame for this? Or is it the standards of the cultures where they are more prevalently used which are responsible for putting this pressure on women? Is the pressure to use them in order to be found attractive coming from outside, or within?

• Whites are to blame. Check your privilege.
  • People pressure each other to do this, it isn't external.
  • People actually do this?
I've noticed the way we tend to get scapegoated for everything. I was curious if this would be another example of it, and if so to what extent. I am truly saddened that these products exist, that some feel (or are pressured to feel) that they need to emulate a different race to be perceived as attractive.

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually many of these prejudices begin with or are at least extenuated by profiteering companies. Whatever manufacturer is making these whiteners has probably spent hundreds of thousands if not millions helping to shape the opinions of prospective users in order to create a demand.

The same thing happened to women. Before 1900 there was no such thing as "feminine hygiene" and yet women managed to be appealing to men. Enter Kimberly-Clark, Johnson & Johnson, Proctor & Gamble, etc. and suddenly women are scrubbing, scrapping, deodorizing and perfuming, shaving, bleaching and on and on.

People naturally have some prejudices but the love of money is the root of all evil.

What Girls Said 3

• I know in Africa lots of people buy bleaching creams to go lighter because they think they look better like that :(

• white skin is more attractive in my eyes.

• People pressure each other.

What Guys Said 3

• I think the reason some people do this is because of racism. I wish racism would end permanently. It seems we have more work to do to get rid of racism: black on white, white on black, black on black, white on white, and any other variety of racism that may be out there.

• y somebody should whiten his skin?

• Asian women use tons of skin whitening products.