How do people cope with the self consciousness of being unattractive? Does anyone else over 25 still battle this feeling?

It's popular to say nobody is unattractive, but some people actually are. Even at 30 years old, I still feel very self conscious about my looks (it's bad facial features - not body, so working out won't help).

This isn't looking for reassurance that it's all ok, but more of hearing how people actually deal with the long lasting feelings of inadequacy?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 44 and I battle this feeling!
    Worrying too much about looks is exhausting. Is not easy with all the pretty women out there in the world and the complete availability for us to see them. It's like an invasion of pretty women hahaha
    Your features won't change. But the way you look at them and the way you look at yourself in general can change. It takes love, respect and acceptance. It has to be a daily routine.
    Why would you want to punish yourself for not being pretty? Who is to blame?
    Be for yourself, support yourself. It doesn´t matter how many people will tell you you are pretty. If you don't feel it you won't believe it, ever.
    Commit yourself to the daily or even hourly routine of telling yourself (in front of the mirror) how much you love yourself and that imperfectly perfect face of yours. It won't be easy. But you will discover things... It's absolutely worth it, I promise you!
    We are not Charlize Theron, it hurts yeah so what? We enter a monastery then? What if you wouldn't have one eye? Or be disfigured in an accident?
    The sooner we begin to love ourselves, the better. We are not just looks. remember that.

What Guys Said 3

• i really can't fathom how much this applies to my life
    27.media.tumblr.com/...m1mo1wzFiu1qbubzqo1_400.gif

thats how

• As a guy, perhaps there is another area you worry about inadequacy?

• oh yes well there most definitely are!

• unattractive... isn't this very subjective?

• There are all these scientific studies that say no.

• No idea. I just kind of expect nobody to be attracted to me or show interest so I'm not disappointed. I kinda expect to be single for life based on my personality so I don't really pay attention to relationships and looks and stuff. I exercise to look better and feel better but I'm not to concerned with how people see me

What Girls Said 3

• we struggle the same battle. lol. I always feel unattractive because literally no guy has asked me out since junior high school. I tried to work out, make up and dress nicely, but apparently it doesn't work. and I am 23 by the way ~~

• I'm 22 but I feel the same way. I know and you know that saying everyone is beautiful is bs. And it's not even comforting to hear that because well great everyone is beautiful but I want to be special, I want to be more beautiful. I've done the "how do I look" thing on here multiple times because I need to keep checking that I haven't gotten uglier. I know it sounds really messed up but that's how I feel so you and I are in similar boats.

• I hope you can get it worked out. I worry about it more than I should, almost like a compulsion. :|

• You have to accept it.