I'm neither petite nor cute, how can I make men feel "manly"

I'm medium height and slim, but I read/hear all the time how petite women are preferable because they are easier to pick up, make a man feel more macho, etc.

To make matters worse, my face is slightly too angular. Lots of guys (including on here) say those attributes = hookup material, not dating material.

What can I do to still make guys see me as feminine?

Most Helpful Guy

• well your just insecure and reading some idiot(s) work. and actually listening to magazines, that people are paid for in order to put juicy stories. if you were getting paid, wouldn't you write down nonsense too. the people that's told you that simply had nothing better to say and didn't want to get fired so put this nonsense down. now, to address your question, how can you make a man feel like a man. first of all its not your job. he decides to be the man or not. I understand that you want to get men by attending to their insecurities to better your chances but all you need to do is be yourself, carry yourself confidently and with pride. if he can't come to you then he's a pussy. also, there all always personal preferances, simply because some guys prefer petite women doesny imply that all do. some prefer tall women, beleive me grl. just how there are different women out there with different taste, there are men with different taste, be yourself and a real man will come your way hopefully. goodluck!

What Guys Said 40

• I personally prefer taller gals who are not overweight, to the really short and petite. There's something a bit weird about being with a girl who is very noticibly shorter than I am. Makes me feel like I'm supposed to be her older brother or something.

Maybe you're looking for the wrong guys if you the guys you're interested in need to "feel more macho" just to be in a relationship!

About being dating material...it totally depends upon how you act, not how you look. The only girls who I would assume are not dating material are those who act completely slutty and never have anything intelligent to say.

I can't really say anything about your face since I haven't seen you, but how do you speak? What is not mentioned enough is that males are auditory creatures as well as being visual, so if a guy actually gets a chance to listen to you, that will influence his opinion of you.

A sweet voice will definitely make you seem feminine. Don't worry too much about having the wrong pitch though. Even if you have a lower voice, the key is to have the right amount of inflection and make smooth sounds when you speak. Also be aware that monotones whether their low or high can make you seem dull. Even worse, they can make a guy think you're totally not interested in him. The key is subtlety though. Some guys will get annoyed if you sound overly chirpy or whatever, and there are definitely times when a monotone is appropriate. The key is to be flexible with your voice and use it to your advantage. Remember that impressions are often based not upon what you say, but how you say it.

Also...giggle, smile, flirt. Don't try to completely change the way you would normally behave. If you're shy, act shy. If you're bold, be bold but tone it down just enough for people to see the feminine side of you. Being feminine is completely how you act.

Also, ask yourself how you really want guys to treat you? That will go a long way to figuring out what type of guy is right for you. Ask yourself why you need to make a man feel "manly"? It sounds more like you're looking for a man who can make you feel "feminine". Maybe you're subconsciously looking for a guy that has the same insecurities as you, and that's the problem?

Everyone has these insecurities, but don't let them control you. In my opinion, femininity is subtlety. Stereotypes are not subtle, and therefore not feminine. Nothing is black-and-white. You say your face is angular, which of course doesn't sound feminine, but surely that is an extreme perspective and you are not completely angular, just as the world is not completely round. You need a guy who appreciates subtlety in life, to appreciate you being feminine.

• Read anything by David Deida - all of his work is on the concept of Feminine vs Masculine energies and how to express them. Powerful stuff!

Here's a video of his: link

My final thoughts are this: The feminine energy is inviting, receptive, trusting, and organic. Ever changing. Like the weather. Think drama, emotions, the weather, music, and art. These are all feminine expressions. Being Motherly is as well - giving life and taking care of others, etc. The feminine ultimately wants to be FILLED up, even if that means shopping, eating, or getting pregnant.

The masculine desires release, even death (through sports, challenges, etc.) He wants stillness. Completion. Masculine energy is about organizing and completion. Leading and telling others what to do.

The feminine invites never ending conversation, romance, desire, waves of emotions, and the never ending.

This is why you'll find guys hate talking for long on the phone - they want completion - while the girlfriend seeks continued chatter.

So you can either learn how to suppress your masculine traits while dating (but keep them for life skills and for work) so as to invite the masculine from those men you date. OR simply meet an amazing man who's already so masculine that he makes you naturally comfortable and feminine.

~ Robby

• I'm not masculine per se, because I am not competitive, etc. But I am not "cutesy" either. I am also not outgoing or easily trusting...I don't know how to become more feminine..

• Well being more feminine definitely takes more confidence in yourself because it requires you to become "open" and inviting. Feminine women are expressive, outgoing, social, and receptive. This requires you to be vulnerable to the opinions of others... while being shy and closed off keeps you safe - and single. The more confident and social you become, the more naturally attractive you'll be perceived.

P.S. A manager/doctor/lawyer is a masculine expression, a nurse/artist/musician is feminine.

• This is a really good expression of the feminine and the masculine.

• I can very much appreciate your position, however I would like to note that a quality man will see you for who you really are, and see your good qualities and it really won't matter if you fit into the stereotypical "feminie" look or whatnot. I like to look at a woman's strengths rather than her weaknesses. So what if your face is a little on the angular side, it's about who you are as a person that really matters. I have seen some women that were very physically attractive, but were completely ugly to me because of how they acted and conducted themselves, and then I have seen some women that were not as physically attractive but had these wonderfully infectious personalities that I felt VERY attracted to. Please don't sell yourself short because you don't feel you fit into a certain category. There is only one of you, and that makes you unique and beautiful in your own right. Be true to yourself and the reward for that will be someone who loves you for who you are, not what you could be.

• Femininity has a value of its own that is independent of how masculine you make a man feel. I suggest you measure your womanliness in absolute terms and not in relation to how masculine someone else looks by comparison.

If you want men to see you as feminine, one way to achieve this is feminine behavior. I can understand how it might be difficult to have a point of reference to ladylike behavior in a country like the US these days, but a good foundation to build your concept of feminine behavior is the realization that just like you have different standards of behavior for men and women, so, too, do men have.

• Can you name some virtues/values you associate with femininity (non physical) so I can get a better feel for what you mean, please? I was raised to be polite and have good manners, but I'll never be "cute." What else should I aim for?

• Oh, it's a jolly 'oliday with Mary

Mary makes your 'eart so light!

When the day is gray and ordinary

Mary makes the sun shine bright!

Oh, 'appiness is bloomin' all around 'er

The daffodils are smilin' at the dove

When Mary 'olds your 'and you feel so grand

Your 'eart starts beatin' like a big brass band

It's a jolly 'oliday with Mary

No wonder that it's Mary that we love!

Smiling, kind, radiant, compassionate, decisive and excited. She wants what's best for everyone, and receives accordingly.

• Haha nice, I always loved Mary Poppins. :)

• i prefer a woman closer to my height (5'9"), it just works better. It's harder to hug a shorty and in bed when we're screwing I can't kiss her comfortably unless she's at least 5'5". Slim is awesome. I like an angular face with some uniqueness and character to it so it's interesting to look at. Don't worry about making guys see you as feminine, you probably won't need more than a few good men to last a lifetime Your attitude is the main attribute that can make you a great partner. Just stay in reasonable shape, continually improve your mind, and you will attract higher quality partner(s).

• Interesting...

Your going to hear mostly that guys like petite women, over women that are curvy, or "big boned". That only applies to these internet gangstas that think that. Many men (like myself) are killin just to have a girlfriend and looks don't matter anymore.

I cannot tell you how to make guys see you a feminine, but I can tell you that you need to be yourself, and accept yourself for who you are. Be a good friend to people, and don't be fake.

There is nothing wrong with you, your cool.

I hope this helps you out someway.

JTM

• You're perfect just as you are. I know that's hard to believe, especially if you see the petite, round-faced girls around you getting a lot of attention. But trust me, there's a guy out there who will appreciate you for exactly who you are, one who will celebrate your uniqueness.

• I have no idea what an angular face has anything to do with being hookup material vs. dating material. You're either attractive or you're not.

• Feminine = eye shadow, eyeliner, little necklaces or wristbands and "accessories" that lumberjacks don't wear, really stylized hair like you're always ready for either a rock video, prom, or a porno.

Personality-wise, just never say things that equate you with a man. Liking guy stuff is fine of course, but never say "I think/feel like a guy sometimes." I love sports = fine. I wish I was a man = not feminine.

• Lol ... "lumberjack accessories" made me laugh. guess I should leave my pbr hat and hank williams belt buckle at home, huh? :P

• what you said doesn't have anything to do with the man's 21th mentality! that's too old and inapplicable, if he really didn't like you how you look like he wouldn't be in a relationship with you in the first place, the petite thing was created by girls that are too short to bring up their freakin ego, if you're of an average height then thank god, eat healthy, and work out! that's the way god has created you, and we're all supposed to love how our lovers bodies look like, even if it may seem ridiculous at the start that how can we ever think he/she is cute or sexy, after couple of months when thoughts and feelings meet, everything changes and they become the sexiest thing on earth to us.

Trust me, that's the way it works between a man and a woman. Maintain your self confidence, it's even more important than having all the look goodies.

• "...but I read/hear all the time how petite women are preferable..."

No! I'm 5'10" and girls 5'9"-6'1" are dreeeeeamy! I guess slim medium/tall girls come across as having good genes in my mind.

• You really don't want a macho man. They are deeply insecure and need constant attention and nurturing to keep them stable. It isn't worth it.

• Wear girly clothes and colours. Sweeten up your voice and language used.

Respect the guy your with, trust his judgment (might be hard, find someone you can actually trust)

Pay him compliments about his manly characteristics (ie no 'you're so cute!')

• What kind of compliments do guys desire most?

• Thats kissing ass and making yourself seem easy.

• Agreed with Kommer. A 'Wow, you're huge' comment won't go down well unless he actually believes he's huge.

• Don't dress slutty and dress casually or sophisticated like Reese Witherspoon in the movie legally blonde. Don't dress like a tomboy. Don't put too much makeup on. If you don't know if you have too much make up on to the point that you come across as slutty than just ask a few guys. Play hard to get. Hang around women that look classy and sophisticated. When a guy approaches you he just might not think of you as a hookup.

• By respecting them the way you want to be respected.

Believe me. The right one will notice.

Question is, will he be the one in your mind's image?

• It's all about your attitude. If you really want to be the vulnerable girl, which I find isn't always a turn on, then act it. The looks are only a first impression thing. Honestly though I prefer girls with solid personalities.

• Tell him his head is bigger than his arms...like a T REX.

You can dress up like a snookie from Jersey Shore and pray to god that some roid abuser doesn't punch you in the face. lol

But seriously...dress conservatively so you don't send the wrong signals to guys...especially the ones with there tongues out that pant like dogs...

• I think you should just be yourself, no matter what. You sound pretty cute, and I don't think you should be doing anything to change that.

• Make sure you don't have a penis, and you'll be fine.

• One second girls are complaining about how they don't have curves and feel unsatisfactory, now you're saying you feel bad because you're not petite enough. My advice to you is, be happy with yourself.

That may not make you seem more feminine but it will make guys more attracted to you.

Don't listen to what people say or what you read. One person says one thing, another person says the opposite. Take this site, for example.

• You're a woman and in my opinion haven't met the right man. This generation has a more base for sex and looks than heart, soul, and personality. you might hit 29-30 before you find that right person who accepts you as a woman. I would just keep looking because you will find him, as hopeless as it seems sometimes it will happen to you.

Best of luck mate.

• The macho / manly thing is an artificial construct by a backward society that pushes harmful gender roles. Speaking as a man I don't need or want to feel "manly" I just want to feel good about being me. The women I like most are larger and taller than me. I love big women because every detail is larger it's like every thing a woman has only more so just love those women.

Any man who has to prove how tough he is has problems.

• Wear heels?

Just be yourself. You're not going to shrink and there are plenty of guys who go for taller girls. I happen to love taller girls--just be who you are and make no apologies. Confidence and independence goes a long way in attracting guys.

• Im a tall guy 6ft, 4inch. I don't know what "meduim" is but I can tell you its not taller then 6ft! . . I can you that tall dudes don't need that sense of "macho" because we know where we stand on the food chain. so my advice would be to go after tall guys! I've been with a few short girls and I can tell you back pain isn't worth it lol. its simple, tall guys will always see you as Petite.

• strange, I am looking for a tough girl

i myself am weak and I'm a guy.

simply, find a weak guy, and make him know that you don't give a flying f*** about if he is strong or not.

if you accept him for his faults, he will accept you for yours

:-)

• guys are like dogs, they smell ur confidence and ur rules and run after you =)

if you try to please them and do what is best for them, u'll never get what you want. from now on, only talk to people as friends and if somebody was interested in "dating" make sure he knows you enough and knows ur RULES for a relationship. just like "playing hard to get" back in high school, but this is the real mature version of it :D

good luck

• "medium height and slim." You sound very feminine to me...

"face is slightly too angular." I'm not too sure what this means, but it doesn't sound like a bad thing...

• Well that's foolish. You are what you are. Don't ever doubt that you are worth it. Its all on the guys as to how they feel. Be yourself. We all deserve to be with the people we want to be with.

• Skinny, petite women, in my experience, have never been long-term relationship material. They tend to be more into Hollywood trends and fads. That doesn't cover all skinny, petite women mind you, just the vast majority. Yes, those attributes are hook-up material, 90% of the time. They are the dreaded "notch in the belt".

You don't have to be 100 pounds dripping wet to be feminine. Just do "girly" things if you want to be deemed feminine. I don't regularly hoist my woman in the air, that doesn't make her any less feminine.

• your a woman. you naturally make men masculine. you can't help it.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 15

• I like Bvroon's "male" response of not judging the book by it's cover, though he may be one of a few honestly nice guys that have the maturity to look beyond the physical. But let's face it, all of us are visual creatures...first impression can make or break any opinion, from purchasing a new outfit that you see on a mannequin, or deciding if you like someone based upon their body language, eye contact, etc.

I'm a thicker girl and only 5'-4, and though I work out, I feel better and more "feminine" with a man who is taller and broader than myself with some muscles. If I feel like I can easily take a guy in a fight, he's not a good romantic partner for me.. LOL

I've been out with shorter thinner men and it might sound odd, but they don't make me feel safe and sexy. I feel best when I'm with a taller, thicker guy. But that's me.

I create feminity and sensuality on the OUTSIDE with soft clothing that shows off my curves, well manicured nails and well-done LIGHT makeup (don't pile it on or you'll look like a drag queen and it will have the opposite effect), dangly jewelry and sexy shoes. On the INSIDE, I go into a date with some vulnerability but confidence, soft-spokenness, (although I'm an assertive person, I don't dominate conversations, but contribute), ease of laughing and great eye contact.

Sometimes you won't feel sexy, you'll feel (like I do) frumpy, scared, insecure and ugly...we ALL do. You have to sometimes fake it for yourself (not fake who you are) but be the person you know you are beyond the fear...because if you don't FEEL feminine, you will certainly not come off that way. Practice a gentle walk, toss of the hair and standing with your shoulders back...when you encounter men in an open setting, visually address ...nothing softens the assumption of a hard chick than a smile. Good luck. : )

• Hey, some guys love petite women and some men are completely and totally looking for something else. As far as hookup material vs dating material, you keep thinking that and it will be true. You will make it true because it will become your reality. Guys are not just into one type of look. I know guys who specifically like women that are not classically defined as feminine, like body builders or basically tough chicks. Some men really prefer an athletic girl who can do those type of activities with them.

As far as allowing a guy to feel manly or masculine, well that can come in your actions. Overall I just wouldn't worry about this. Just don't fall into the trap we typically do, where we find a guy we want and then want him to like us. Setting our hearts on a guy without having any indication from him that he is interested in us is a big mistake. That's when girls try to figure out how to get that guy. Forget that line of thought. Go out, meet guys and date the one that asks you out and see where it goes.

• Any tips on how to make yourself like the guys who like you rather than liking guys actively?

• I won't tell you to make yourself like guys you don't like. I will tell you to not chase after guys you think are great. If they do not pursue you, you will end up in the situation of coming up for excuses on why they are not calling much or asking you out for dates or overall showing appreciation. Read the book "He's Just not that In to You". If you don't waste time on guys who are not very interested, you will leave yourself open for a guy who is.

• 1) All the makeup tips that people give for highlighting your features and making you look more striking and model-esque, avoid them. Don't wear blusher, wear really soft eyeshadow colours, have your eyebrows shaped into a curve rather than with an arch, apply lipstick/lipbalm/lipgloss to your lips to give them a curve and not look pointy and wide - one way to do this is to avoid putting it on the corners of your lips. Use a little highlighting powder under your cheekbones so that you'll have less of a shadow, accentuate your upper eyelashes with a sweep of liquid eyeliner and a good mascara, that sort of thing.

2) Wear 'feminine' clothing: skirts and heels, soft warm colours, light pastel colours, lots of pink, maybe a few frills and bows. Waisted belts are great too, they highlight your curves. If you're not too happy with your waist, wear it higher up just under your boobs, apparently most women are actually slimmer there than on their waists so it'll make you look thinner there, which also makes your bobs look bigger and your hips look wider, which = feminine. Think Luella Bartley.

3) Learn to carry yourself like a young woman. I say a 'young' woman because childish attributes, when in moderation, can have that same effect. I don't mean drag a teddy bear around with you sucking your thumb, but some things like that way kids look up at you and bat their eyelashes are also what's considered feminine. Find an icon who you think carries herself in the right way, speaks softly, anything like that, and learn to imitate the aspects that you like.

4) Go for bigger guys. If a guy is your height or shorter he might feel somewhat emasculated, but if he's half a foot taller he probably won't.

5) Compliment him. It looks a bit pathetic if you go on and on about how amazing he is, but if you can show a bit of admiration for him then he'll feel good in your presence and therefore more worthy/manly.

6) Having said all of that, it's really only worth much if you want to do it. I used to be a lot less feminine than I am these days and I can't say the change really made me any more or less attractive to guys in general. I just did it because I didn't like being such a graceless tomboy anymore, it didn't feel like who I was. There are guys that say they find me more attractive as I am now, and there are guys who say they found me more attractive then. Don't feel like you have to change yourself to attract guys.

• #3 is the one I have trouble with...the "helpless little female" routine makes me feel well, helpless

• (didn't mean to press send so quickly) haha. Someone mentioned Mary Poppins above - that's a good example I think. She's not helpless, she can do a hell of a lot, but she's definitely feminine. It's in the way she carries herself. When I was younger I used to be one of the lads and I wanted to be more feminine like the girls in animes... so the more I watched them and thought about them the more I found I got more like them anyway. These days, people say I basically am one ha. I still retain my

• Old personality traits - I love to sit around playing videogames. Just that these days I do it with perfectly manicured nails and well-kept hair!

• Not all guys like petite women. Some guys like taller girls they have the long legs that most guys dig. As for your face if you don't think you're attractive nobody will. You have to like the way you look before someone else is going to. Who says girls with those attributes make hookup material not dating material? Seriously you need to check your sources!

All guys are different and they like different things. And its usually the personality that makes the difference between hookup and dating material. So do you have a good personality? If you do then you shouldn't worry about what attributes make good dating material because you got!

Do you like the way you are? You should never change because you think you need to so guys will like you. If you decide you want to change do it for you! So do you want to be more feminine because you really want to or because you think it will make more guys like you? Just think if you do get into being more feminine and that's not the real you what's going to happen when a guy is drawn to you because of that? You start a relatioship with him and later down the road you start acting like your true self...will he still like you? Or did he just like the way you made yourself to snag a date?

• Well, I can't really change my height and I don't have the money to change my face :P I feel like I have some of the same character traits that these guys associate with little cute girls, but need to make it more obvious.

• Kindness, devotion, loyalty, consideration ... for instance, I have a friend who has an angelic face but is very devious and manipulative. most guys naturally "trust" and admire her virtue until they learn otherwise. I'm not as pretty and have angular features ("porn face"), so seem less worthy of guys' warm and fuzzy feelings.

• Those are great! You shouldn't think that your not worthy at all! Having those qualities makes you way more worthy than any girl who is devious and manipulative. It really isn't all about the looks! But again if your looks are bothering you that much just play up the good things about your apperance. Do you have nice eyes? If you do maybe look up how to do your eye make up so it makes your eyes pop and draws all the attention there. Then people won't notice the angles so much.

• It's up to a guy to make himself manly, not the girl.

• Date bigger guys, taller guys, guys who are comfortable in their own skin and most importantly NEVER change for a guy(s). Be yourself, it doesn't matter if you this or that whoever you meet should love you for you. I hope you find someone who loves you a lot.

P.S. dressing more feminine is a good way to look/be more feminine.

• I myself am very tall (5'9") and feel unfeminine at times, just like you. I recently grew fond of girly clothes so I wear those (mainly baby doll shirts) and those make me feel really feminine. Plus my guy is taller than me, which makes me feel feminine, and he's also a husky guy so he can pick me up and he's very manly; men like that can make you feel very feminine; as long as they respect you! :)

• well, sine I'm also a petite woman.. I can tell you that we are the cutest things alive ! lol .. actually lots of guys like petite woman because we look cute and classy at the same time.

i think you're great the way you are, but if you want some changes, you can always wear tight jeans with heels and a nice top that brings out your figure.

all you have to do is look sexy and cute at the same time ! no guy won't fall for a petite woman !

hope I helped !

• I doubt that's going to make her feel better since she rather explicitly said she is NOT petite. : P

• Wow you re just a mean little gurl aren't you!!

What the hell are you doing?? she is asking for advice....what do you mean no guy won't fall for a petite woman!! who cares if the woman is petite or not! if he is going to fall for you just because you re short then I bet you guys match well cause you re extremely stupid!

You re talking about yourself instead. the question wasent about You so if you don't have a good advice, Shut Up!

• A good looking woman is a woman who feels good about her looks! Beauty exudes from within! Confidence is key... Play up your assets! I'm pretty sure you're beautiful the way you are! Feel feminine and trust me, you will BE feminine..

Good luck! =)

• you could change the way you do your hair/makeup to compliment your features you like and go with that...

• i am not petite or skinny and I have bigger features lips,cheeks,eyes,nose etc. Let me tell you this, I be myself cause I don't like the petite help me girl look, I like hunting and fishing,ill shoot a shot gun and gut the deer, ill play video games and drink beer and whiskey with my man and I enjoy the military, and challenges if a girl wants to go for a challenge ill be first at the bat. at my lowest weight I am still a thick girl I have muscle on my bones but yet I look like a woman but not girly.i do my hair nice and pretty,put makeup on sexyly,and show my cleavege, and heck ill throw on some heels if I want even though I am 5'8. Be yourself, if you have a more rough side flaunt it but let the girlyness come out.dont tell me you aren't girly the least bit lol what don't find a kitten cute? I don't get along with girls often because I am less 'girly' but its me and I can't help it. The girly side of me is I like to meet the needs of my boyfriend and cook/clean I love animals and matching my nail polish with my shoes. id rather have a truck than a bmw but that doesn't mean I wouldn't paint it purple? your right you aren't a girl your a woman. Men don't always want a girly girl, maybe they want to play dirty without worrying about upsetting your perfect nails? its about balance hun, drink your whiskey but with am umbrella in it ;) btw my boyfriend dated a 90 lb little girly girl before me and guess what,he realized what he liked when I came along. I apologize for sounding bitchy but it upsets me when I see a woman feeling down about herself because a size 2 pair of jeans won't fit her. give yourself some credit.

• Um, that is why models, who are typically like just shy of 6 ft. So sought after? Don't worry about the category , just love your life & men will feel goodly, just being around you, cause they LIKE YOU.

• depended on him let him help you like opening thing or if some thing is a little heavy let him hepl you with it so he feels needed and brag on him for helping you. think dansel(spelling?) in distress. I have the same issues

• i've never ever heard a guy say that those attributes equal hook up material.

i'm very petite myself and the other day, the guy I'm currently dating told me he usually goes for tall girls because he wants to BREED ATHLETES! I busted out laughing, but the sad part is he is serious. if anything, I'd say that small girls are more often looked at as hook up material.

look at the models. strong features are gorgeous, slim is in, and medium height sounds just about perfect to me.

if you're really concerned about your femininity, I'd say vamp up your look with soft make-up and hair. curls are very girly. dress girly - wear pretty lingerie and a push-up bra never hurt anyone. always smell sweet and girly with perfume/shampoo/lotion/etc. work with what ya got.

• Most of the guys who are so big on little petite girls are probably small in build/stature themselves. Start focusing on tall/muscular/buff/big guys then you won't have that problem and you'll always be smaller than him!

• Usually its a guy's wit and sense of humor that sets him out from the crowd for me ... I'd hate to have to look for tall/big guys as my first qualification!