Is there some rule with selling cars?

Is there a rule amongst people who sell cars that you have to jump around and work for at least 4-5 different dealerships in your career? What is it with this profession...every guy I have dealt with has jumped around different places. Is there no longevity at one place anymore?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never worked at a car dealership so I can't answer exactly. However, what I have noticed is that if you work in a small-medium sized business and you want better pay/benefits/etc then your best chance of getting that is moving to another company. I know it sounds weird. You'd think you would be rewarded for loyalty especially in smaller companies where you have a personal relationship with the owner, however that's not what I've found. Perhaps that is the reason for their progression as well.

What Girls Said 1

• My brother works in the car trade and this is quite common, doesn't mean they are in any way dodgy..different dealers offer different rates of commission, better company cars and better working hours and less travelling.

Also a lot of garages are finding it hard to shift second hand cars what with the scrappage deal, and the credit crunch. People are pulling all their savings out the banks and spending them on brand new motors instead, because the interest rates are so bad. Which is another factor why car salesman like my brother jump ship from a secondhand garage to a main dealership.

What Guys Said 1

• economy is bad for sales people