Girls, Why do people get freaked out if a guy has his belly button pierced?

• Is it ok? And why
    7% (3)
  • No? And why
    46% (19)
  • Don't care it's his body
    47% (19)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

17

Most Helpful Girl

• As much as people believe there are no rules to society and that people can do what they want and no one should care, our society has set upon us some unspoken rules that we mostly tend to follow whether we are aware of them or not especially when it comes to rules related to your gender. It's the reason parents don't buy pink shirts with butterflies for their boys or violent video games for their little girls. The belly button piercing is associated with girls or women. How did this happen... media, magazines, fashion... they all show the style on women and so we associate that piercing with something only women do. If a guy bucks that norm, its uncomfortable. You may not know why, but its because someone has gone outside the norm, outside the box, is changing a tradition or something ingrained in our inner psyche as to what is and isn't acceptable for men to do. It freaks people out and the labels of is he gay or something else will come up because we cannot classify why it is a man, most likely knowing other men don't pierce there, get a belly button piercing. That's the long way of really saying, we aren't as evolved when it comes to gender norms as we all think we are.

What Girls Said 16

• I've never seen a guy with a belly button piercing so it would naturally be a bit unusual for me but I guess whatever floats his bed. It doesn't bother or concern me.

• Like usually I don't use this term and I'm usually no sexist either but that's gay... So yes I would unless he's actually gay.

• It's a bit odd.

Generally, men have hairy stomachs, more muscled, etc etc. Then put a piece of shiny jewellery in there. It's odd. It's like putting a daisy in his hair. He can do it, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit... odd...

• I'm totally fine with it - it was just traditionally a piercing for girls so I guess guys with belly button piercings are the absolute minority hence they are different - most people don't like those who are different, it's sad but it's the truth..

• I've seen one guy w it and he has nice abs, toned body. Looks fine, it doesn't really bother me

• Normally when a guy does something that is predominantly done by women it would convey to most people that the guy is gay or bi. Same goes for guys with tramp stamps (lower back tattoos).

• i wouldn't date a an with a belly button piercing. machismo is mandatory.

• i would not care tbh , it is his body

• It's not often a guy gets his belly button pierced, so I guess it would be different. That's the only reason that I can think of why anyone would.

• It's normal? I like them on guys.

• oh my god! I just freaked out reading this... lol

• i've never seen that but i don't think i’d care

• Double standards..

• I wouldn't care. But I'd find it a turn off personally as it's seen as femenine

• It's hot if he's muscular and have abs to match the piercing;)

• Whoa, I've never seen a guy with his belly button pierced. Haha now I need to look this up! :p