Do you buy salon hair products from a salon or online?

The reason why I ask is because I think I got jipped. I bought the Marula Oil Shampoo and Conditioner at the salon for 51 bucks. Something told me to go ahead and check other places and I find the same things for 12 dollars less.

Now, the bitch at the salon--and I use that word because she's truly a bitch--said that if it's not being sold directly from a salon, people could make similar bottles and yet sell the same thing with a different chemical make-up. I'm not researching the validity of that claim.

I just wanted to know--though--if people have been in the same situation I am in now.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have researched this and I worked at a salon as well and this is true.(the bad products or really old products) There are also people that go around to Salons and buy all the sale items then sell them for a profit. So not everything that is a cheaper price is a "good deal". I have found that JCPenney's has really good prices for salon products. If you don't have one near, try befriending a stylist and have her buy at whole sale for you. That is what I do for my friends and family :-)

What Guys Said 3

• The girl at the salon doesn't sound like she knows what she is talking about as I'm almost certain that statement she made isn't true. She probably believes it is though. The real reason it cost more at a salon is that salons cost more to operate than just a simple online retail business and therefore need to charge slightly more to make a similar amount of profit, in addition, many salons don't sell as much product as specialty stores such as Sephora or Sally's and have to pay their supplier more in turn which also causes them to charge more. Boring answer I'm sure but that's the reason.

• That's what I was thinking. I highly doubt that people would waste time creating similar bottles and then changing the formula just to make a less profit. These "online stores" that I'm seeing for cheaper aren't salons though some of them are (eBay and Amazon).

• Hey next time you buy ahit from a regular store take a look at what its made out of. Its definitely different. Hahaha

• That's the thing... I rarely go to the regular stores. I have to use non-sulfate shampoos and those are sold only in beauty stores.

I think one was sold in Wal-Mart but it was the same kind I at Sally's... crap. Those two same exact bottles might have been different. UGH.

• People do sell phony stuff online. That is why I will never buy generic medicine online, for example.

But hair products that are a name brand, are usually trustable to buy online.

That salon chick is seriously misinformed.

• i prefer buyin online everythin x-ept food/drinks. they r more trustworthy in my opinion

What Girls Said 3

• I went to cosmetology school and what the lady at the salon told you is very true.
    The stuff they sell is salons and actual cosmetology schools are a little different chemically than stuff in regular store.

• I just went to find the product on other salon websites and they were of similar price. I don't use much anyway when I do my hair, but I can't go dishing out 50 bucks for products especially when I doled out 60 bucks for something similar and I haven't even used 1/2.

• I know what you mean haha.
      just get regular shit from a store and deep condition once a month. the chemicals from regular stuff dries your scalp.

• In my city we have shops for hair stuff and beauty. But yes there are always fake sites an products about. Also like there is fake people an things part of life sadly! I do hope you haven't been ripped off !

• I just go to the beauty supply store