Natural Hair Problem: PLEASE HELP?

I've always had natural hair (no perms/relaxers) although when fifth grade hit i started falling in love with flat ironing my hair fast forward, I decided to stop flat ironing my hair and just let my hair be curly but it won't act right. I have loose curls (3B hair) and its been a while since my hair has been straighten, in fact majority of my hair is new growth meanwhile the ends are the heat trained hair. When my hair is wet it is a little bit curly. there's some curls here, some straight hair there, and the weirdest thing is some of my new growth is straight meanwhile the heat train part is curly. Please im so tired of doing twist outs/any other wavy hair style. I just want my natural hair texture back but nothing is working- not even protein treatments. I tried the wash and go method and it work for like 30 minutes and as soon as it dried completely my hair straighten out and there were a few curls left and just a bunch of frizz. Can anyone explain why my hair is doing this?

My hair is no longer like this!! I went to my hair stylist and she told me to do the "Max Hydration Method" because my hair seems to be lacking a lot of moisture. So i did that for seven days straight and im starting to get my texture back!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Have you gone to a salon to fix this problem? I know it's kind of expensive, but it might be worth it

What Guys Said 1

• Sounds like heat damage but however you can repair that by onion and garlic trust me thus shit works

• I heard onion and garlic is great for hair growth but does it define/ bring back your curl pattern?

• Regular use helps a lot my brother use to have same problem but he recovering gradually by the treatment

What Girls Said 7

• I think what @BeeNee said is about as legit as you can get. Adding to that, don't be to sure that your new growth is growing in straight. I know exactly where you come from, no perms or relaxers, but I straightened 3 years during high school. And stopped when I graduated. I had hair that straightened out too. I don't know how long ago you stopped flat ironing, but new growth doesn't just happen over night. How hard did you try to straighten your roots in the past? If you did try hard then the roots are just in the same predicament as the rest of the straightened parts.

I personally left my hair in twists for a long time, and then I was comfortable with cutting of the bad length, I did. And I waited 9 months before I did. But if you don't like twists and such, I think weave might be your only option (I don't know anything about weave, never worn).

As far as products, that depends on your hair. First off nothing will revert your hair back, but you can try and use products to conform it: like mousses or gels. (3B i picture not kinky curls).

But as far as getting your old hair back, it will come back, you just got to wait for it to grow out. :\

• 1. Straight and curly hair have never been good bedfellows. Hate to say it, but sometimes, the only option is to cut it and start all over... but...
    2. Go to a professional with experience with natural hair. Let them asses your hair and let them know what your options are.
    3. Before you cut it as a last resort, do some research on some styles or wigs, or weaves or whatever that you can use while your hair is growing back if you hate short hair. Your hair may just need you to stop doing anything to it other than washing/conditioning for it to get back in shape. You can't manipulate and manipulate your hair for years and expect it to just be healthy automatically. It needs to recover like a damaged forest after a fire.

• It can happen that your hair texture changes when you get older. It sounds like you've damaged your hair really badly and the ends became super thin, that's why they curl that much.
    The only thing you can do is just wait it out unfortunately. There's no special hair secret that can make or break your hair.

• Once you've already heat trained (damaged) your hair, that's it, there's no going back. You'll just have to grow out your natural curl pattern.

• How can i grow it out when majority of my hair is new growth and never been touched by a flat ironed?

• Hmm then I guess for some reason your hair texture has changed. I say you should deep condition your hair regularly to keep it moisturised, and your curls should return. When my curls drop I do this to define them.

• I had the same problem happen to me I stopped using the flat iron used moose for a little while to get it kinda curly then I found the deman brush it's the best brush I've ever used in my life! I use that an Shea moisture curl in style milk also if u start curling your hair with a wand your hair will start adopting back to the curls and you will get your curls back :)

• As in a wand you mean a curling iron or flex rods/ perm rods? I have curls but its not really define anymore ans mousse makes my hair straight (i have no idea why) but i shall try the shea moisture product

• Sounds like heat damage

• But my new growth hasn't been flat ironed at all, majority of my hair is made up of new growth!

• are you mixed? im mixed and my hair is maybe 2-3 different textures... im also naturel by the way

• No im black but i do have Cuban in my blood (my great grandfather is afro-cuban) i did realize that in my baby pictures/elementary years my hair was loose curls not really define either but more define that my hair is now.

• too much heat damage, the best option is to cut all the damaged hair off and grow it all over again.

• Again, my new growth has never been touched by a flat iron yet it still straightens out on its on and even the heat trained hair it curls but straightens over a few minutes.