Girls, Is less makeup more?

I was getting a makeover today, when the consultant made the comment, "less makeup is more" if it is done right. I have never heard it said this way. Do you agree or disagree? Explain why?

10

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, very true. My mom always taught me since I was young that the best makeup is the kind no one can tell you're wearing. I've never caked it on, but some nights I definitely put a lot of time into it, and all my boyfriends claim that I don't wear much makeup.

The idea of makeup isn't so that people think your makeup looks good, it's so that they think YOU look good and can't quite tell why.

What Girls Said 9

• I have a sister who goes to the makeup store almost everyday and buys $100s worth of makeup and brushes each visit. She cannot apply the makeup correctly, however. She does not look very appealing in my opinion. When she does not have the obvious fake lashes and sharpie eyebrows, she looks MUCH better. Majority of people prefer a more subtle, natural look ie. Eyeliner, mascara, maybe a light foundation, and if you are EXTREMELY careful, some contouring here and there. I have grown in how I apply makeup, I try to make it as unnoticeable as I can, besides the eyeliner. With a steady hand and the right tools, you can look great. You do not need orange foundation, fake eyelashes, drawn on eyebrows, overdrawn lips, and dark eye shadow to be beautiful (my sister has yet to learn this, except she now doesn't have orange foundation [thank the lord]) Not a lot of people notice my makeup because I a) don't apply a million things to my face and b) only use things such as poreless, nonacnegenic foundation in my color, a bit of mascara applied correctly (see YouTube videos on mascara) some black eyeliner (only unnatural thing) some ChapStick with a redish tint, darkish natural eye shadow to be brushed through my everybrows lightly (just to make them fuller) some tad darker powder for contouring/eye shadow, and some light concealer for highlighting. This is the most I have ever used, but the thing is, I do not smear a gallon of each on my face, I just do it bit for bit. I can easily do it all in under 10 minutes if I am in a rush.

• Depends on what you're going for. I personally prefer to go for a lighter makeup look just because I don't like how it looks when there's a lot, but I know some girls like going for louder, more obvious looks. So really it does depend on personal preference.

• Just do natural make up for an every day look , much like the look Kate Upton does for her Bobbi Brown commercial. Do light BB cream to cover spots and blend that well. Light blush , nude or light pink is lip color , basic beige tones of shadow , and line your water line.

• I think less make up is always the way to go unless you're just having fun for a night or so. I just use a powder, mascara and lip gloss, sometimes black eye liner. Too much foundation, bronzer, blush, eye shadow, lipstick, all of that is too much to me sometimes lol

• Yes, less makeup is more. Makeup supposed to accentuate your beauty, not covering it. Thats why you don't need a lot of makeup to show that you're beautiful. When you use too much makeup, it covers your true beauty and change you into someone you're not, thus, you begin to think that you're not pretty without makeup a. k. a you become insecure.

• She probably meant if you mess up and you try to cover up the mess up with more makeup it just looks like a whole messy pile of makeup on your face. It's better to remove the makeup you mess up then re-apply

• I don't really understand what that means

• It's what works for you and what you like. Who cares what other people think

• I agree, makeup can enhance a person's facial features greatly. But it doesn't mean piling concealer and foundation and lots of glittery eyeshadows. You want to show off your best assets without piling too much makeup on your face in order to keep it still you.