Girls, How often must I flat iron my natural hair?

11

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on when you want to have straight hair.
    Using a flat iron won't make it permanently straight, it only works for most of the day or until you get it wet or damp

• I flat iron my hair once a month, is it a good time length so that it won't damage my hair.

• No don't listen to that. I straightened my hair every day in high school and nothing back ever happens to my hair, not even split ends

• Okay so I guess my regular routine is good then :) Thanks

What Girls Said 10

• In my opinion, it doesn't matter what kind of hair you have as long as its healthy people make the mistake of thinking that straight glossy hair is the only hair that is the most appealing, even though I like straight hair myself. I wouldn't flat iron hair too often as it causes damage. When you flatten it, be sure to always apply a heat protecting so you don't damage your hair in the long run.

• Well. It will never be straight if you have naturally curly hair. So every time you wash it, basically.

Assuming of course that you prefer straight hair to your natural hair.

• No, I love my natural hair. Its just tough to take care of it, with all the tangles and stuff. I straighten my hair so my hair could be easier to cope with. But I would never prefer to change my hair to straight forever.

• A good conditioner should make your hair more manageable. Straightening it is probably doing more damage and making it more unmanageable (heat damage causes breakage and split ends). Try a hair mask and see if it helps you out.

• I actually do use conditioner. I wash my hair with shampoo and dry it out with a blow dryier. I then put this product in called "frizz-ease" It does wonders and its great when it comes to straightening my hair. My hair stays straight for most of the month. I've never had any split ends. That's because I go to a professional most of the time. But that really won't matter. If you do it very very often though, It will cause great damage hence the reason i'm asking this question.

• I've never tried it tho, is it good or will it damaged our hair? I have a natural wavy hair but I've never iron it straight before.

• Its good. It doesn't hurt, well that is unless you put the iron close to your hair roots and you tug a lot on it. So that's why I go to a professional most of the times. But it could damage your hair if you do it too often, that is why I've asked this question.

• Whenever you want to? There's no right amount just whenever you need/want to straighten it.
    When I used to use heat I did it once a week but still had awful heat damage.

• Also now that I'm natural I only do it once every three months at least

• Whenever you want.

• Neverrr. Embrace your curls. They're beautiful.

• Yes, they are beautiful, I agree. But it has way more tangles and I can't cope with that.

• Once a week max. If you do it more than that, you'll start burning your hair and become totally dependable on doing it.
    Besides, don't watch your hair everyday. It makes it way greasier.

• You do not have too. However, I usually do it every 6 months or a year. I am not big on heat... it scares meh.

• It damages you hair.. Which would make it even harder for you to cope with.

• Don't flat iron. Go au naturelle!
    Natural looking hair is way better looking, plus flat irons ruin your hair and give you loads of split ends. Do it for special occasions?