Why are bras so much more expensive than panties?

So I was doing a little shopping today and stubbled into a Victoria's Secret store. Curious, I looked at the price tags and noticed that panties were $12.50 while bras where $56.50? Why such a huge disparity?

Most Helpful Girl

• - They usually require more work.
    - Longer life-span.
    - Some bras can make your breasts look better and fuller.

What Girls Said 9

• Because they require a lot more tailoring and parts. Metal clasps, hooks, adjusters, underwire, lace trim, elastic side sections, small bows... they take a lot more work to make.

• Economics: a lot more material (cloth, wire, padding) goes into a bra than a pair of panties and it has a longer life span.

• Hmmm.. First things first.. My curiosity is getting the better of me.. Please do tell us just how you managed to "STUBBLE" into a VS store? smh :)

• sorry, stumbled... i was buying a gift. I went back and they lost the items i put on hold. So cheesed, i still bought two pairs. But will not do that again after that grave mistake.

• Because they are over the shoulder bolder holders. Some even hold tinier looking holders but instead of really holding them, they push them up to give the illusion that there are massive holders there. That's Victoria's secret, shhhh.

• Cause your ass has to already look good for underwear... have you seen what those bras can do? that's the price difference

• i have no idea. its really ridiculous

• More materials and effort go into manufacturing a bra, I guess.

• I don't know, but I don't like it.

• I don't know but the prices at victorias secret are ridiculous. I refuse to pay like 40-50 dollars for a single bra. Meanwhile la senza has same looks for less money. LA SENZA IS BETTER. and im not sure why underwear cost less

• the staff at victoria's secrets are much better and accommodating. I was very nervous and they tried to put me at ease. While la senza staff kind of made me feel like a criminal scoping out every male in the store and using their radios like they were the police or something.. "male in aisle ," "is he her boyfriend?" etc etc.

• ya I guess that way

What Guys Said 10

• I like how you accidentally "stumbled" into a VS and looked at the price tags (once you got past the other parts, lol) The big disparity is because panties are designed to look nice and... And nothing. But bras... those are studies in engineering. Sure, they need to look good. But they have to be engineered to hold up the boobs in a pleasing manner and regardless of the position the wearer is in. they often have under-wires to help support. They also need to separate properly. The closure needs to be strong, but not clumsy looking. Often there are double layers of material that have to look good together, and often there is padding in there. No real surprise that they cost a lot more in general. And that price gets even higher just because of the name brand.

• i love how a guy seems to get i more than the girls on this ask

• I was looking to buy a gift. Trust me I felt very uncomfortable.

• You could have been a cop there on a call for all I care. The way you put it was just too funny to pass up teasing you about it. :-)

• Bras have things like underwires, which are as sharp as a Katana, and special padding in it, whereas panties are just cloth in a certain shape.

• Because customers will pay the price. Price elasticy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

The demand exists because of perceived quality. "cheap bras will ruin your breasts " -legend.

• They do cost more to make than panties but there is also an element of being able to get away with it to which is probably closer to the truth.

• A bra is precision engineering! lol

• There is a lot more going on with a bra... actual measurements, with VS likely full on metal for support and push up, clasps... undies are just the one material

• I suppose more work in manufacture of a bra than panties.

• Because boobs

• They cover the vitals.

• This is way I support Free the TA TA's campaign lol.