Does mainstream media change your perception of beauty?

I used to find girls with large feminine eyes and a bit chubby face attractive. But I kept looking at females models like /watch? v=XalAnLIM73M (youtube link I can't post link) and now I'm highly attracted to lean looking faces, e. g. a round chiselled jaw is very attractive to me whereas before I didn't really care about these "lean" features. I also realized I find myself better looking nowadays than before lol (I have lean looking face), kind of beginning to understand the unexpected attention I get from girls.

Anyone else have the same experience? Can our perception of beauty be changed that much by the media? I used to think perception of beauty is almost entirely determined at birth.

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely!!!
    i.huffpost.com/.../slide_378810_4472422_free.jpg
    A lot of it is also a bit unrealistic, and photoshop is HUGE. a.abcnews.com/.../...secret_kb_141029_16x9_992.jpg
    People these days feel so prioritized to be this perfect image society expects others to be. And although people think media and advertising isn't changing our image of ourselves and perception of beauty, IT IS!
    We grow up with disney princesses having huge eyes and big busts and tiny waists, etc. Then we grow up to look somewhat different and start asking ourselves "Why? Why can't I have a 34 inch bust, 24 inch waist, and 36 inch hips?"

What Girls Said 3

• That's the goal: encourage, convince, or even change perspective. They aren't effective if no one believes it. It's saddening that unconsciously we are being molded to believe which is beautiful, which is not. That's where people's insecurity arises.

Everything changes, the more you are exposed and open, the more your perception changes.

• Exactly, "you are what you eat" applies to the brain even more than the body.

• I think I did in the past.

• Perception changes daily, dude

What Guys Said 2

• I think it can change people's perceptions of beauty, sure. But it hasn't changed mine. I've always liked curvy girls.

• I suppose to a degree your perception can be influenced by what is in the media as it is decided what is mainstream and what isn't. You will find it is very cyclical with different types all the rage at different times.