How do you think about materialism/consumerism?

Most Helpful Guy

• Its a terrible ideology that has hindered the mental growth of our society. Instead of doing something of value and making the world or there selves better, instead of trying to maximize there own abilities they fight to earn more money then eachother. Then what happens? Buy two three houses a yaht you'll never use. Yeah, that was a life worth living. Did you better the world? No but I definitley screwed over a whole lot of people by exploiting there ignorance to my benefit and taking as much money as I could from them. Yep thats a life well lived. When you look back at history, it was the intellectuals, the artists the dreamers that pushed us further. The few rich people that were rememberd, is because they screwed over so many (robber barons come to mind). How can you even trust a society so comfortable with being buyable, that is where every one seems to have a price, where every one can be bought. So yeah, not a fan. www.ted.com/.../michael_sandel_why_we_shouldn_t_trust_markets_with_our_civic_life

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 7

• I don't see anything wrong with consumerism, I actually support it as it helps the economy. People should spend the money on what they want, and it they wanna buy lots of stuff just because, they're free to do so.
    Materialism is something I don't like too much, cause it puts people's worth on what they posses, and that's not cool, cause having lots of stuff, or expensive stuff doesn't define who you are as a person.

• sad... i feel really sad about people who think this way like... if u buy gifts to someone then it means u love him/her

• I really try to stay as far away as possible from it , I find it polluting spiritually.

• I think it's really boring.

• Help the economy!

• I'd like to stop participating in it.

• Great, its what capitalism is built on.