How do I go from getting home haircuts to a barber?

So I haven't gone to a barber since I was 9. I've always just had a family member give me a haircut since then. But now I'm moving far enough away from my family to not get one from them anymore so I'll probably have to go to a barber for a haircut. The problem is I'm not really sure how to tell them what I want. I've always just said things like "I want this thinned, I want this evened and I want this cut shorter" But I was saying that to someone who knows what the stye I like and that can easily be misunderstood by someone who hasn't frequently cut my hair and they may think I want something else. How do you tell your barber?

Just for reference imagine a blond less handsome version of Tom Welling here and you have me...
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFx5zb_Y6cWvTfd5p1RDbrHfc29ZwWS9haiTKtJjHMmOfzxYdi

Most Helpful Girl

• I show a picture.
    Sometimes if it is mixed , then I print out different pics and explain it to them how I want it.

I may have a pic of a side bangs, and then a different pic of layer cut, etc.

Most Helpful Guy

• Damn bruh bruh
    I suggest you look for the best barber in your area

Don't go to some cheap place either
    Choose a barber with a similar type of hair as you
    He will better know how to cut it

Learn different lengths too, when I get a hair cut I tell my barber I want a 3 on the sides
    Trim the top and leave the front long so I can slick it back

My barber knows me so well he just cuts my hair now lol I say "the usual"

What Girls Said 2

• Give him a picture to reference.

• Go to one.

What Guys Said 2

• just find a picture online with the same hairstyle you like and show the barber. I am utter shit at explaining things like that and that's what I do half the time. It saves time and you get what you want.

• What a lot of people do is bring a pic of style they would like.