Why do Westerners like being tan while Asians prefer being pale?

and do guys prefer tan or white skin?

• White
  • Tan

Most Helpful Girl

• In the west being tan shows that you have time to lay around in the sun or you can afford to go out to an area where you can get sun.

In the east being more pale means you're closer to being western (yay colonialism) and that you have a better indoor job. So it's all cultural.

The best thing to do is just live your life how YOU want to and don't worry about what other people think or may or may not like.

• Indeed: during centuries a tanned skin was associated with people working outside, in the sun: field labor, masons etc.
      That changed when living conditions got better, people could take vacations, enjoy being outside, take vacations in the sun: then being tanned became associated with wealth.

What Guys Said 6

• Well I'm Western but I'm black so skin color is irrelevant for me. However I'm stationed in Korean and according to a few that I've talked to, pale skin here is seen as more feminine. Women will do anything they can to stay as pale as possible. They all carry umbrellas with them rain or shine and put on sunblock before they go out. However darker skin is viewed as more masculine, the males don't really care about their skin color at all here.

• It also has to do with the whole "You always want what you don't have" mentality. White girls and Asian girls always want curlier hair and black girls want straighter hair. Skinny girls want to be curvier while curvy girls want to be skinnier.

• I agree with what you said. Another reason why pale skin is considered more attractive is that it is associated with nobility. Poor people used to work on farms and were exposed to the sun, thus being more tan, whereas rich people, who mostly stayed inside, were pale.

• Well yea but those were past views. Fat and pale people were seen as upperclass because they didn't do any work. In the present though it's the total opposite in the West.

• different cultures yo

• It might just be a case of wanting the "exotic" - Whatever is not the usual for them.

• Tan isn't even good for you.

• I am naturally tanned. But people in my country prefer to have pale skin. Yes colonial effect.

I find white people mad for tanning their skin.
    Mean while Fair skin cream companies are having good times in south asia.

• Neighbors grass is always greener.

What Girls Said 7

• In Asian culture tan poor people are tan and rich people are white. The rich don't have to spend hours working in the sun and laboring so they'd have white skin. So it showed social status.
    Also colonial powers had white skin and began to sort of take over. So looking closer to that power set up your social standing. But this is true of most ethnicities.
    It depends for western civilizations. You used to want to e paled because that once again showed your wealth. Now you want to be tan because it gives this sun kissed bay watch feel that we imagine rich people get on their luxurious vacations. So still wealth.

Honestly white western cultures are really the only ones I know of that want to be tan. Basically everyone else want to be pale.

• The culture. =)

• I prefer being white...

• Pale skin equals being a noble (since they didn't work outside) and Tan skin equals being poor or a laborer.

• Different cultures, norms, and beauty standards.

• I want to be tanned but the problem here is I can't get a tan no matter how long I stand under the sun :/

• I am a natural tan, and I don't really have much preference in skin color.