Am I the only one that thinks it's silly seeing people in public with earbuds in and headphones on?

I always see people on their phones at bus stops and have headphones/earbuds on. It seems like pepole switch off the physical word and in my mind I go, "people are in the collective" or "joining the matrix".

Does anyone else think this way?

• Yes, it's silly
  • No, it's normal

Most Helpful Girl

• I doubt you want to talk to random people at the bus stop. Thu probably just don't want to be bothered but aren't like that with friends and family

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's normal. In some cases it may be excessive. Like in my case I always have my ear buds in. Sometimes they're on sometimes they're not. Its good to catch the gossip in the break room at work without getting involved. I've had headphones for as long as I can remember. I had my first walkman at like age 6 or 7. If someone is just doing whatever what does it really matter? Though when interacting with another human I always make sure to pull them both out as I don't want to be rude or seem superficial. Other than that if you like your music Rock the fuck on.

• The observation I guess is that we're removed from reality, always on our phones, or laptops or television, and removed from our surroundings

• True but before that it was books magazines and other distractions. Same premise different form of media. And a lot more of it instantly available and at no to little cost. I see your view though.

• With a book you don't have your YOLOs and FOMOs going on..

What Girls Said 2

• Well it isn't silly but you are also correct. Once those things go in interacting with the outside world goes off. That's why I wear them on planes but I make a point not to walk around a city I'm visiting with them on for that reason. I want to hear the sounds and interact with people.

That combined with the screens, and less and less inter human interaction is certainly very troubling. Kids coming out of college can't make eye contact during interviews they have to be taught how.

• It just seems people are oblivious to the world around them...

• Yeah but in cities like NY where your commute is in foot it makes sense to get a podcast or music in or whatever while you're walking.

• In SF, tech center of the world, that's all people do. Or at dinner and on the phone, checking apps, etc.

• lol whats wrong with that? there just listing to there music.

• once in a while, but it's an isolation thing. "Leave me alone"...

What Guys Said 8

• rhennamorgan.com/.../...ed-Blue_Pill_Lg_OnBlk_.jpg

Some people like the blue pill. I don't mind it either way as long as they leave me alone.

• Sounds like people are being anti-social?

• blue pill it?

• the world we live in :)

• When I go to class in the morning, I am quite tired and frankly want to lay in bed all day and slee in. Alas, I cannot do that because I like to actually pass my uni classses. So, as I go to class, I throw in some earbuds and listen to some music. This music keeps me awake and gives me enough motivation to get me to class and get through it.

Other benefits include having it loud enough where I can ignore all the college table people trying to promote their cause or yell "GIVE BLOOOD!!" in your face.

I'm used to it, and I see it as normal. I understand why people want to disconnect from the world and just get from point A to point B without interruption in their own little world.

• Here and there, sure, but it seems to be the norm now. No one is present in our current world.

• Depends on what they are listening to...

3ir.net/.../Walking-with-music-feels.jpg

• People just seem silly

• We can't separate ourselves is what I am saying :) and some time away from it, whether it's commuting, or what doesn't seem to be true either. How else are we having meaningful, physical connections today?

• I would put it down to a combination of institutionalised isolation (my grandmother used to walk to the neighbouring town to see friends, my mum was allowed to walk to the far side of town, I was allowed to walk as far as the end of the street, and kids these days get visits from social services if they are spotted in the garden unattended.) generic fear, (despite sexual violence and violent crime at an all time low everyone is so aware of the stuff, which I blame on media and government fear-mongering as well as how messed up and death obsessed some popular entertainment is) and the economic/social enviroment (where do you go? The pubs are all too expensive, the social clubs have shut down, the local facilities like cinemas and sports centres have either shut down or become unpleasant places thanks to appealing to the lowest common denominator).
      So a lot of people leave school and never make another real friend. Just acquaintences at work, and people on the net.

• I want to be left alone. Headphones are a pretty clear 'do not disturb' message.

• A lot of people have that 'signage'

• I agree, however some people wear them for work, so if it pays the bills keep it on if not take it off, it'll kill your image in any professional line of work

• Nope, I used to do it too. Kept me occupied while going to class and the walk was more enjoyable.

• I love dancing with my ear buds.

• I use earbuds and sunglasses to block out the spam of very day life.
    Not having to listen to propaganda that is forced into my ears by media outlets or stupid humans. I don't have to worry about someone I don't know trying to talk to me.

I wear sunglasses to avoid people making eye contact and assuming its an invitation to start a convo, and to alter the planned colors of all the ads that are meant to "entice me"... if you fuck with their system, they can't get to you.

• You know there is ads on Pandora right?

• No problem with your answer at all. You zone out the world as you mentioned and don't pay for music unless I am missing something..

• I don't zone out the world, I protect myself from forced interactions and propaganda.
      I don't buy into corp greed. I stream my tv/movies, I download my music for free, I don't pay ridiculous prices for anything that shouldn't cost what it does. A tv/movie star should not make 40 million dollars to act, while a scientist makes a few hundred thousand a year.