Is it normal to be nervous about getting a tattoo?

Im a few weeks from turning 18 and i want to get at least one tattoo. I'm thinking of getting a tiger on my arm but sometimes I have second thoughts. Is that normal?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it's totally normal, but once you get it, you'll be happy with it. Our brains have a way of adjusting us to be happy about circumstances we are in that are beyond our control, so unless it's a complete travesty (which shouldn't happen as long as you've researched your artist), you'll love it.

I would suggest deciding on a design and then hanging it up somewhere that you'll see it every day. After a few months (yeah I know you said weeks but just wait a few months to be safe... enjoy the anticipation), you'll have no doubt whether you want it or not.

• Months? Lol That's a great idea though!

• lol yeah I know that seems like forever, especially since you've already been waiting a while, but you'll have the tattoo your whole life, so putting it off a few months to make absolutely sure it's what you want isn't really that big of a deal

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I was so scared/nervous when I went in to get my first tattoo in June I had turned 18 in March, but now I have the beginning of my chest piece. If you have a high pain tolerance you'll be fine. Also bring a pillow depending on where you are getting the tattoo Im have it done on my chest and will have to be in weird positions and it's really large only 8 hours in and the line art and and tiny bit of shading is done. Also drink lots of water and stay calm the more you move the worse it will be also you may not get a quality peice of work if you move due to moving it can cause jagged lines since the artist needs a steady hand. Also when getting a tattoo make sure you will want this for the rest of your life, think of jobs, family, and other factors when choosing something that will stay on your body forever unless you get laser surgery. Talk to your tattoo artist about the best placement of the piece and the pain that may be associated with the work in that area. I hope this helped.

• Thanks! I'm thinking on my arm but if its a problem in my job I'll just wear long sleeves :)

What Guys Said 9

• yes if you have never been under the needle it can be something that can make you second guess your notion of getting one. it took some time for me to go from the thinking about it stage to the oh why the hell not stage lol lol. but once I set down in the chair the artist was awesome at talking to me and keeping my mind occupied , and that did help me through the whole process. I actually got two done in the one sitting.

• So far I haven't found an artist that makes me comfortable :/

• Lucky! What you get?

• I got the initials of mine and the wifes son that was killed , and an antlered heart with her and my name on it. yea a lot of people have said having a womans name put on you is a bad idea , what if we split up and you meet some one else ; I said them she will see my wifes name on me every day

• If you have doubts, the best would be to wait till you have everything clear in your head. The removal won't be that easy
    Think about first till you are sure.👍
    hope this helped😄👌

• Yes. You're getting inked for the rest of your life, you don't have the luxury to make a mistake. Plus, it can be painful, which also adds to the nervousness.

• Yes, I think that many people feel what you're feeling now before getting a tatoo. You're probably unsure if you wanna get one or not.

• Of course its normal. You are about to make a permanent change to your body. It's gonna be a little nerve racking the first time.

• My main fear is the artist will mess up

• I have been to 2 so far but I don't feel 100% comfortable

• Read reviews. Check out Facebook pages. Message the artists. Find someone you feel comfortable with.

• Yeah totally normal cause they use needle to put it on you

• wouldn't be natural if you weren't a bit nervous

• Stop fucking with people on their questions, asshole

• then, maybe you shouldn't do it.

• Oh no, I'm doing it! :D

• even studies have shown that the decision to get a tattoo is often made in haste, yet it can have a long-term impact on relationships and employment. And tattoos can be costly and painful to remove. Research—as well as the booming business of tattoo removal—shows that a large number of those who get tattoos eventually wish that they hadn’t.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes because remember, tattoos are permanent. You will have this your whole life, on your arm. Even if you say, it will discolour, it will still have mark.

Think about why you want it.

What does the tiger mean to you? Is it cultural reason? Religion? Or just because?

Is it a symbol to you?

What does it represent? A country? A memory?

This is normal, but make sure you really want this, and you are not forced.

I've always hated the idea of nose piercings since I was little, now I want one, just changed my mind.

Think about it.

• As much I agree with your points, I don't agree with the "Tattoos are permanent part." Mainly because they can be removed now but it's more painful and leaves marks.

• Oh sorry I didn't know. I don't know much about tattoos. I was only stating the things I know from my knowledge.

• I chose the tiger because I'm a warrior.

My family doesn't want me to get it lol

• Of course it's normal; I was pretty nervous when getting my first tattoo. I almost wanted to run away screaming but it didn't hurt as bad as I thought. It's just something new

• I don't think its a good idea because its permanent unless you pay to get a removal which can be even more painful then the process of getting the tattoo in the first place.