Do men have it easier in the fashion world?

It seems like a man can just wear shorts and a t-shirt, and nobody bats an eye. We don't get judged for looking like a "slob" or not "matching", and we're never called "trashy" by the way we dress.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, men have it far easier in the fashion world.

It's mainly because we don't get judged on our looks near as much as women do. A guy can be a slob and nobody cares. A guy could walk out practically naked and nobody cares. Men have it easier when it comes to be judged in general.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think guys can actually look trashy because the fashion industry doesn't make clothing that would enable them to 'achieve' that look - ever.

And yes - women are always judged more harshly on the sheer basis of their looks. An ugly guy isn't nearly as 'disgusting' as an ugly girl. This is what society teaches us.

• And a fat guy is a "teddy bear", while a fat girl is an "unhealthy slob."

• Which is ironic, since women are biologically more prone to body fat than men. It's much easier for a girl to be fat that a guy. So if anything, it's more pathetic when a guy gets fat.

• It's true. Women gain fat when they hit puberty while men gain muscle mass.

• Speaking for myself, I am happy my boyfriend is attentive to hygiene, grooming & dress. He doesn't wear suits & ties all the time, he does dress casually too. But he wears nice casual clothes. Clean, not tattered, no tasteless words or graphics. He can & does coordinate. Quite well, I must say!

Another thing - He showers & shaves every morning, including weekends. He does not spend Saturdays unbathed, unshaven & in dirty grey sweats. He does get dirty doing things, like playing football, working on the car, etc., but he cleans up afterwards.

But I'd say one's look is one's choice. But try being presentable, guys! Women like it!

• You found yourself a one in a trillion male lol.

• So it seems. Why some other woman hadn't snatched him up already is not clear.

But he's not getting away from me, we're getting married next June! He proposed to me in Cozumel on a dive trip a few months ago!

• If you've got your pants hanging down around your ankles, yes, you're going to be called trashy.

• Yes, yes you guys have it easier when it comes to that.

• I do think so
    The messier and effortless they are the hotter they look.

• Lol I see. Probably why I see so many overweight, messy looking men with beautiful women.

• Speak for yourself. I was just saying I see women dating fat, unhygienic men all the time, and many of these same women are clean and cute.

• I don't know about others but unhygienic is out of question fat is somewhat acceptable only if they intend on getting fit. My boyfriend is kinda fat too lol.

What Guys Said 8

• Depends how you look at it. In general, yes. Fashion is largely aimed towards women, due to both their collective interest in it, and probably to most men being more drawn to looks than women. Women seem to be very competitive with each other in that department too, as evidenced by the old adage of "women don't get dressed up for men, they get dressed up for other women." Meanwhile, us guys who DO put a little effort in, I could give a fuck less what other dudes think of it, haha. Obviously these are sweeping generalizations, but that's all you can operate on with men vs women issues. I think it just kind of has to go without saying that certain individuals will obviously deviate from these concepts.

But I'm a guy who medium-cares about fashion. I wouldn't say I'm a fashionista by any stretch, but looking good is very important to me, I like to wear relatively nice clothes, and above all else, I like to look matched and well put together. I'd say I'm more into it than your average guy, but I'm not above shorts or jeans with a t-shirt. They just have to be relatively nice articles of clothing that work well together and suits my coloring. Like I won't be caught dead in Walmart Velcro cargo shorts with 18 little mini-pockets on each leg and the promotional Southern Comfort t-shirt the shot girl gave me at the bar, haha. But it's not like I only wear tailored Armani suits or wear all those fruity looking outfits that fashion magazines will tell you look good. But no one will ever say I look like a slob.

But to directly answer the question, yes, I think women are more understanding and accepting when it comes to guys. I've known guys that had hot girlfriends that just wore their Under Armour gym clothes all the time, haha, but they were attractive dudes and obviously got along well enough with the girl for her to overlook it. But at the same time, I don't think guys hold women to that standard either... kind of. Attractiveness is very important to us, but I also feel like a lot of guys aren't analyzing it that hard. We just see a girl and we think "hot" or "not." It's not usually like "she's cute, but what is she doing wearing THOSE shoes with THAT top?" It's just little one or two word phrases going off in our mind. "Whoa, cleavage...", "Bare midriff...", "Nice butt..." hahaha. It's all pretty simple. We see something and identify it as hot, but might not be able to explain why, it's more of a sensation than a conscious thought.

• 1. The perception is so because it's an 'accepted' behavior
    2. It's not that people don't notice men whose countenance is trashy
    3. If it were so then the term of 'classy men' wouldn't include their countenance including but not limited to clothes, shaving, manicures etc
    4. The 'matching' part in a man's and a woman's attires are entirely different too :)
    5. A woman can wear from a vast choice of almost anything to work or party or casual areas but a man again has limited choices in which he has to ensure it's prim & proper :)
    6. Not every fat guy is a teddy bear and every large girl unhealthy :)

• No. You can look trashy, maybe people don't say it out loud, but they think it.
    Women have waaaaay more options than men, that makes it easier for them to find something to compliment/match whatever they wanna wear.
    A woman's closet is packed with different bunch of stuff, while men just have a small closet and with a similar style.

If you don't care about fashion then yeah, you can say men have it easier, but if you care about how you dress then no, men don't have it easier.

• When does a guy ever get called a slut or slob for not dressing nice? Or when is a guy ever put on a pedestal due to his "lingerie"? Lol.

• Not that, but dress with a hoodie and some sweats and you'll bee seen as homeless or you don't take care. Or wear something a little more tight or with very bright colors like pink and you'll be called gay.
      So yeah, we're also judged by how we dress.

• Personally I do not think men have the easiest fasion but what I think is that men do not over complicate things and fashion. We keep it clean and simple.

• We do get judged all the time man. If you dress poorly women generally don't look towards you unless you are gunsmoke, you know?

• Hmm... not from my experience. I dress poorly at times and even at my old age, women still check me out.

• HA! thats because women your age dont give a fuck

• I think that's very true.

• You're wrong.
    We're called slobs, bums or losers all the time, just never to our faces.
    The way you dress affects how people see you, regardless of gender.
    Only, it's totally acceptable to call a man a slob, a bum or a loser.

And even male fashion has a strict code of what's considered dressing correctly.
    The width and length of your tie, the width and style of the lapels on your jacket, collar style on your shirt, color and pattern matches, type and color of shoes.
    Mess it up, and you risk ridicule, just as if a woman mix and match poorly.
    Only, it doesn't happen often, because men in general don't give a shit about fashion or their appearance, or the appearance of other men.
    Most wouldn't even notice.

For the average man, dressing for an occasion is slapping on a 10 year old poorly fitting suit bought off the rack.
    But women notice a well dressed man in the blink of an eye.
    And they also notice a poor effort.
    They just don't shout it in your face when you look ridiculous.
    (Though other men might, if you look sharp)

• o girls have more fashion and people says girls are more attractive so