Should I bother wearing heels if I'm already tall?

I'm going to a dinner gala/fundraiser type of thing on Saturday night with my parents and my husband. It's a formal event so I'll be wearing a nice dress that's just below my knees. However, I'm wondering if I should also wear high heels with that or if I should just stick to flats. The shoes I have look very similar to the ones pictured below, but I don't want to appear imposing or intimidating to all the new people I'm going to meet.

I'm already tall at 6'1" and these shoes add about 4 inches to that, maybe 5. The only people I normally see wearing shoes like this are women who are significantly shorter than me. If I already have the height, is it okay for me to wear these?

I don't dress up like this all the time and I rarely ever wear heels.

Thanks everyone! I wore the heels with no problems or awkwardness at all 😊 👠

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey!! It's me!!

You wear them because they are very dressy and very sexy for your husband's benefit. Don't worry about being tall. Just be proud and get out there.

• Thanks again for your answer! He definitely thinks it's sexy.

• So do I!!

• Thanks for the MHG! Glad he liked them.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes, of course!
    I'm 5'10 so know where you're coming from. I didn't wear heels till around the end of my clubbing days. Hell, I didn't even own a pair till then. Eventually it got to me that in all the group photos, despite being the tallest out of all my friends, I'd always look the worst in terms of legs, looking leaner, etc.. Being tall, we should be the winners at that by default, but all these 5'0 friends were taking the cake.

Wear heels! No reason you should slink into the background just because of some silly social norms. The few times I did wear them, I got only positive attention. 'Glamazon', 'amazing legs', etc.. You don't need to wear them regularly but might as well embrace what you've already got. Short girls look better in heels, tall girls moreso because we've already got that initial height/long leg advantage. :P

• Group photos - I know that feel! I totally agree that legs look thicker without heels on especially next to people who are wearing heels.

What Guys Said 25

• Of course it is okay for you to wear those. I dated a girl that was 6'5'' I am 6'4'' and she was nervous about wearing heels around me. I encouraged it when we were in public everyone was commenting at how we made them feel so short but she looked absolutely amazing. I think you should wear those heels and own how great you'd look at the gala.

• Oh wow, she's tall! I'll try to own it, lol.

• Yeah she was 6'9" or 6'10" in them lol. I felt so short

Anyway you will look beautiful and your husband will not be bothered by you in heels either. You two have a great time. Be confident because people will be looking at how great you look and not just your height :)

• No, he's not bothered by it one bit.

• That'll be another vote for yes then... DO IT!! :) It's not about the height, it's about what they do for your overall look, your legs, the way you carry yourself, heels are life-transforming! Okay that's a slight exaggeration, but seriously, wear them and be proud! Flats and evening wear are not a winning combo, go big or go home I say. :)

• Those are really pretty jimmy choo's. And pretty girls deserve to be in pretty shoes.
    I'm sure you're husband will be stunned by your beauty upon wearing that.= most especially that you rarely do this.

Yes, some people will get intimidated, but you can't chop your legs for them! Just be yourself. I'm sure it will be a surprising sight for them as well.

If you feel good about it and your husband thinks you look good wearing them and he feels comfortable, then there's no other reason to not wear them.

Have fun!

• Yeah, wear them, because a dress needs heels, I don't think a formal dress and flats work together, a causal dress works with flats, but a formal one? I don't think so.

Also, you are tall anyway, with or without the heels people are gonna notice your height, but since your are wearing a dress, it doesn't matter if you are 5 feet or 6 feet.

You know, look at Maria Sharapova, she is one inch taller than you and she wears heels lol
    www.celebheights.com/pr1/maria-sharapova.jpg

But are you gonna be comfortable while wearing them? I mean physically comfortable?

• If we constantly had to think about what other people feel or think we would not be able to do anything. Just wear your high heels if you like them.

• Tall women who are confident enough to wear heels are the sexiest, most awesome creatures on the planet. Please don't let other people's insecurities discourage you.

• I try not to! Sometimes I just think "what's the point" since I already have the height and leg length that is improved by wearing heels. I had a moment like that when I posed the question.

• Heels are here to make you look sexier, not taller. Your height is irrelevant.

• Heels make you stand funny so your hips pop and chest good god... why do I know this.
    They essentially make your bits pop more k?
    So if ya wanna.

Heels ain't JUST about the height.
    It's a sex symbol.

• True, haha. You know this because you're a guy who probably checks out women in heels, lol.

• SHHHHHhhh
      No I don't!
      I AM A MAN OF GOD!!
      I AM A MAN OF EXTRREEEEEMEEE HUM- *snort
      Okay... yes I do.

• I say sexy it up and wear those heels, girl! Tower over those commoners! :-D

• Personally, I don't like when she's taller than me already. I'm only 5'7" so, unfortunately, I wouldn't date you, but you already have a boyfriend anyway, so, it doesn't matter. I prefer her to be taller than me, only when she wears her heels. So, I'd like her to be under 5'7" but wear relatively tall heels

• I think you're limiting your dating options.

• I don't sugar coat on this site, call me a douche if you want but, I'm telling you my opinion. Unpopular as it may be

• I never called you a douche. Thanks for your opinion, but I wasn't asking if it's okay to be taller than my date.

• It's okay for you to wear whatever you want. If you want the heels, wear them. Honestly, I've never really found heels attractive, to be honest. However, if you feel comfortable in them (or confident, I should say as I'm sure they're painful to wear), then wear them.

• I say wear em... especially if you like them and they look great with your dress!

• Nothing wrong with heels even if you're tall, You should wear what you like. You'll certainly get noticed but "imposing and intimidating" are really about personality and unless you have that kind of personality people really shouldn't have a problem.

• That's true. I'm a little bit shy and sometimes awkward - have made a fool of myself in public before unfortunately - but I can manage.

• Wear what ever you want to wear that makes you feel sexy. If you are single just look for a guy tall enough to date that will allow you to wear any heel you like.

• I don't really know why women wear high heels. I used to think it was to make you look taller, but then I later found out (according to one of my professors) that it was an attractiveness thing. High heels make you look more vulnerable. Anyway, they are not that good for your legs I would recommend avoiding them, just don't wear sneakers.

• You know what, you should.

• To be honest, I definitely wasn't expecting this kind of answer from you based on our previous interactions regarding my height.

• Yea, I literally just went off on another women for her height but I am getting better though

• I am working hard on my bitterness but it still doesn't come off easily

• Go with flats. you are already tall

• Those are some beautiful heels. As long as your husband is fine with you being taller than him you should go for it.

• Wear whatever you want.

• Wear flats. They're more comfortable anyway, surely.

• They are generally more comfortable, but they also look weird with a dress. Like turn the dress black and bam! School uniform. lol. I see this as an opportunity to wear these shoes, but at the same time I'm hesitant.

• Omg dont!

• hmm... I would avoid those so you don't stand out too much unless you want attention of course.

• Nothing wrong in wearing them. But others who are short will give you uncomfortable glances which might make you feel uncomfortable. If you can tolerate them , then I'm sure you will carry them off well.

• Go with heels. You say you rarely do and it seems you want to for this event.

• Do what makes you happy

• Please don't wear this elevator shoes!

What Girls Said 26

• girl, definitely. i would think it so unfair that u shouldn't wear heels because ur tall. just wear em! they were made to be on ur feet :P

flaunt ur height man. dude, the only people who care about this are single men lol, and u have a husband, so i dont c y anybody else matters. =]

• Many times people are all like "Woah" when I walk up to them in heels and sometimes I'm a bit embarrassed, lol. I know I shouldn't be. I just want to look good at a fancy dinner!

• I try not to worry about what people think about me or what I say, in general. But there's always some people who can't see past the height and instead of getting to know me, they make the conversation about that. Ugh.

• excellent! those who are like that aren't genuine anyway so their loss! :)

• A rule of thumb goes "if YOU need to be there, arrive 5 minutes early. If they need YOU to be there, arrive 5 minutes late." The same concept may apply for you: if they need to impress you (vendors), wear whatever makes you feel happy and sexy. If you need to impress them, evaluate your clothing choices.

You can (and I recommend) having the best of both worlds by wearing heels and packing flats in your clutch to slip into as needed. If you feel that flats would detract from a key impression, stow your heels under the table and bring them out for photos, award acceptances, or anything in which you are distant from prolonged or direct client contact.

Either way, I hope you have fun! :)

• That's a great idea! I do have a purse big enough for ballet flats but that still looks appropriate for the evening.

• I know where you are coming from as I'm 6ft. We stand out anyway so you may as well wear what you want and look your best!!
    And who cares if husband is shorter?

• The answer is always wear the heels because they make your ass look good.

• I find tall girls to appear very elegant, sometimes solely due to their height. I think that high heels will suit you and that you should be proud of your height.

I'm not nearly as tall as you. I'm 5'6, but I still get called a giant, lol.

• Heels add more than height--they make your butt and legs look amazing. Plus they make just about anything look formal and sexy. Who cares if you're a little taller than the people around you? You'll look like a model, and who doesn't want that?

• Be proud of your height!

• Sure girl!! Heels are not about making you taller it's more about giving you a certain allure!!! And they give more chicness!

• You don't have to wear high heels under any circumstances, even if you were short! You never have yo wear them to look nice and attractive.

• Wow we are the same height!

If you love the heels wear them. But maybe practice walking in them and such because you're so used to flats. If people are intimidated by you in heels it's their problem. If it makes you uncomfortable bring the flats in case so you can change if you want. Personally I wish I could wear heels but I'm way too clumsy to walk in them. And I always give props to women who can pull them off regardless of their height.

• You don't have to, but they'll be very dressy and make your legs look sexy:)

• Try a pair of shoes with lower heels? I don't know, just DL whatever you're most comfortable with. :)

• Models wear heels, and they are tall. They look sexy as hell. Height is sexy. Wear those heels and strut in that place like a Victoria Secret model.

• Wear what you're comfortable in. You're going to tower over people in flats, so that's not the deciding issue. If you like heels and will feel appropriately dressed in them, then by all means wear them.

• Yes, it's okay. I think you should wear them! It will make your legs look even more attractive! :)

• I'm 6'4" and i've always dreamed of wearing high heels since i 6 years old but i noticed that i was always put down and teased about my height, and the fact that i am talller than average, i don't even bother wearing Hight Heels (yes i did have a chance to wear the high heels) and i loved it but i felt and feel more comfortable when i am flat footed because that already is a connversation starter, and i feel the awesomeness of being oogled because my my height and my husband (who is 5'9'") loves my height and he says it's the perfect height for him and for me

Basically what i am saying that it is not for us to decide but for you decide, also ask yourself if you have flat shoes that go with the dress

• I honestly don't think you should, the majority of men are intimidated by women taller than them and find it awkward to talk to them. Especially with your height, you'll look like a giant compared to everyone.
    Maybe this video will help:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf6IcrtcRY

• I'm not looking to date or flirt anyone, I'm married. Plus my parents are going to be there so that would be awkward. I already know that I'm tall, no need to point it out.

And that guy hates tall women like most guys generally do. Got it.

• Naw you can still wear them. Though high heels seem like feet killers.

• im short and i dont wear them unless there is an occasion or something :P

• Yes if you want to be taller. If you are in a relationship - you probably do not want to be taller than your significant other but that is up to you.

• Own em. If you want to wear them, there's no stopping you. Legs daysssss 😊

• Wear them! Listen, giraffes are one of the most elegant animals. There's no such thing as too tall. Just let everyone stare up at your beauty in awe.

• If you don't mind towering over other people they would be fine. Would those people include your husband?

I personally don't care for heels. My height is beside the point (I'm 5'6"), I find heels very uncomfortable. Actually I'm not a big fan of wearing any kind of shoes, & if I had those with an outfit I'd be carrying them.

• Yes you should if you feel sexy/pretty/nice in them. Don't worry about anyone else. Do-it-for yourself. Heels never look bad. Tall women always look good heels or no heels

• You are so lucky. I wish I was tall. I'm only 5ft6.5 . Well if your really worried about it then go for flats. Its all about being comfortable and you'll probably end up regretting heels at the end of the night because your feet will hurt so much.

• Go for it you'll knock em dead.