Would you mind your daughter dressing like this?

So lately I've been kind of sick of my look. Usually I dress like a girly girl because my mom buys all my clothes. The thing is, I'm a major tomboy. I love doing bike tricks with the guys, playing football, and rock music. It's kind of hard to be a tomboy in a pink skirt. So anyways I've been trying to get a whole new look. So I'm really into the band Paramore and I love Hayley Williams's style. She wears a lot of black, ripped stockings, sneakers or Doc Martens, skirts, printed skinny jeans, and t-shirts. So I was able to cut to alter some old clothes to make them look like hers. I personally love it how my new outfits but I'm not sure how my parents will react. Usually I look like a delicate flower. So what do you think of her look and do you think it's appropriate for a teen girl?

I know there are some pieces that my parents would never let me wear like the fishnet stockings or the sheer crop top, but I can just swap those out with some plain stockings and a t-shirt. So would you be ok with your kid wearing this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont have children nor do I plan too. However, if I did I would want them to dress how they wanted. I would want them to express their individuality. FUCK social norms or living up to someone else's standard

• High five! Fuck social norms! I wish my mom had that same point of view. She's always trying to treat me like a minature her. I don't think she realizes sometimes that I have my own personality and ideas.

• My mom treats me like another her. She forced me to do dance classes, I dress like her, she gets mad when I do my hair how I like it, and she hates when I hang out with the guys. I know she's trying to make sure I grow up well, but she has nothing to worry about. It's like she's paranoid. I'm at the top of my class, I don't do drugs, I'm always home before or at curfew, I've never dated a guy, or even kissed a guy. I just need some way to express myself because I'm suffocating in my mom's shadow.

• Trying to make you into her own image or preventing you from dressing how you want and limiting your ability to socialize is not "making sure you grow up well". It will make you miserable and can even cause depression.

If you have not already done so I would try to sit her down and talk to her when you are both in a neutral mood. Tell you that you are grateful that she cares for you but you would like to have more freedom. If she won't talk to you, try typing a letting and leaving it for her to find while you are at school.

If all else fails you need to consider whats best for you. Whats worst, the consequences or defying her or having to repress your true self? Should you listen to her every word or do your own thing? Only you can decide that.

I have been there. When I was 16 my step mom found some CDs that she dident think was "appropriate" so she threw them away. Good thing she dident know I could download from the internet muahahah.

I know its hard, hang in there!

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest, I totally would let my daughter decide on what style she likes but trust is everything. I plan on having a close relationship with mine. If I feel she's mature and wise I'll be okay with a few edgy outfits as long as she respects herself and isn't doing it for attention from boys. If it's for herself I'll be fine. Ofc I'll worry but that's what moms do. You seem like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Communicate that with them.. they'll be surprised but they'll respect your decisions.

• Thanks! I'm definitely not doing this for the guys. This is just something that I want to do to show the rest of the world the real me. I'm not some super sweet girl who loves floral shirts and pink skirts. I'm rugged and edgy. My mom wants to be just like her. Her hair is always neatly done, she always has on a nice dress or skirt, her jewelry always matches, and she always has bright colored perfectly manicured nails. My hair is an untamable mane. I always want to wear skinny jeans, I have a few stud earrings and two necklaces, and my finger nails are usually chewed off. She's just the spitting image of grace, and I'm just a mess, but I like being that way. I just wish she didn't try to force me to be like her.

• That's great and I'm glad you just want to express yourself. I'm all for individuality! So High five, that style is awesome. Also, I'm positive your mom cares for you a lot so try and break the news to her gently. She might be a bit disappointed at first but she'll get over it because loves you and wants you to be happy. by the way, thanks for MHO ✌

What Guys Said 17

• How old is this "daughter" of mine?

Anyway, those pics aren't bad. If she's a good kid, heck, I might even be proud of her for having good fashion sense. :P

I'd try to talk her out of the tats and piercings though. Then let her do what she wants.

If she's really young that second pic would be pushing the limit.

• 16 and I'm not really into tats and piercings. This question is just about her clothes. I know some of the clothes are kinda pushing it, but I'm not gonna copy her exactly.

• Yea, the clothes are fine at that age. I really don't care much what clothes people wear. Whatever they want.

I was a rebel who fought to get rid of the dress codes in school back in the day. I sure as heck don't want to see it go back.

• No I wouldn't. But I'm over protective though.

• I see nothing wrong with the way she dresses and if i had a daughter your age
    it would be no problem but would like to have a talk with her, not to get involved
    with street drugs./ underage drinking/ having unprotected or take sex risk with guys
    that is all i would ask cause lot times when one starts dressing different they may
    give parents the wrong impression that they are living a wilder lifestyle other than
    that i see no problem , You know when teens leave home any parent with a heart
    would worry that their teen is at safety at all times when their out and about with
    friends anything this day and age can happen.

• I see where you're coming from, but my mom literally has no reason to worry. I don't do drugs, drink, fight, stay out late, have sex, or anything else parents typically worry about.

• Yeah trust me i think you should be allowed to have your own way of dressing
      and that is unique way and that is great your a good girl that brings you long way
      in life i do support you

• I don't see any problem with a young girl dressing anyway she wants - If she was my daughter the only time I would interfere is if she was under 18 and wanted to dress like a stripper/hooker/pornstar.

• No. Well, except for the 4th outfit. That is a no-go.

As long as she doesn't wear things too form-fitting or revealing, I'm fine with whatever style she dresses in. Just as long as she knows not to dress in certain ways for certain occassions (Ex: Not wearing gothic clothes to church or a wedding).

• You lady have a wonderful fashion sense. And no, I would not mind. Her life, her rules.

• Lol I would be like what the hell? Why are you so emo, you haven't had a hard life at all? Here I will take you to a ranch and we will get some work done because you clearly have too much time on your hands

• It's not emo and it has nothing to do with having a hard life. I just like how it looks. I hate being forced into pink skirts and floral shirts.

• It's not some type of fad. I'm a black girl from "the hood". Nobody dresses like this here. I don't want to dress like that for attention or popularity. I'm not just following the crowd. I'm literally walking in the opposite direction of the crowd. Nobody dresses like this around here, I get laughed at for listening to the type of music I listen to, and I only have two friends. I'm basically a total reject. This isn't some fad, it's me trying to be me.

• Well then if you are trying to define yourself then good, I have no problem with such matters. But something as trivial as clothing isn't going to help you define yourself.

• I would tell her my opinion and my advice and then she decide to do what she want i won't force her but I liked the dress in the third pic actually

• Hayley Williams is so damn hot

But I wouldn't mind that style.

• I wouldn't mind, it's her lifestyle anyway.

• I see nothing wrong with that style. I have seen way worse that will ever be

• Not if it were MY daughter, no

• No it's kinda cool

But depends show old she is

• 16. by the way I don't also mean the tats and piercings. Just the clothes.

• Yes it's cool and I like it

But it would depends, if my daughter seems like she's a little rebellious and these kinda clothes are a projection of that, then no... but if dressing this way is just an expression of style and has no reflection on her character that's negative, then it's cool

• It's definitely just an expression of style.

• oh, hell no.

• no hell no no I do not let her

• Why not?

• If you don't want your daughter to become a sexual object then teach her to respect herself and expect respect from others. It doesn't matter what she wears. If she allows people to treat her like a sexual object, then she'l be treated like one.

• lol you know nothing

• Not in my house!

• I wouldn't care

What Girls Said 7

• I wore some of that and still do, I think it's very cute style. I would let my daughter wear it only if she were to trade out some pieces like you said for yourself

• Yes as it is not inappropriate. Gosh it's no even ugly or unfeminine. Plus most teenager girls in my country wear similar outfits.

• the pictures you put up i find them perfectly fine
    as long as they are not wearing a plunging neckline with no bras then that is fine

• That's totally fine. Its a cool look if you can pull it off.

• No, it's too reveling and sluty

• It depends on my kid's age. If she was older than 15, I'd allow her to dress however she'd want. But I'd still offer her my piece of advice. If I thought something would look horrendous on her, I'd tell her. But the decision would be hers and only hers.

• yes i would