Girls, is wearing 3 wedding dresses on your wedding day, too over the top?

I would like to wear 3 dresses on my wedding day which is literally going to be an all day and night affair. Some of my friends and my mother think that its either a waste of money (I'm paying for them, no one else) and/or a waste of time to keep changing. I have two venues. The ceremony will be in an ornate church which would be my dress with a cathedral train, lots of lace, very formal, then the reception venue where I would change into a less cumbersome mermaid style, floor length for eating, dancing, interacting with guests, and then the 'get-away-' dress which is short simple white lace dress. Do you think this is "doing too much?" I love my first dress, and picked it specifically with the church in mind, but I don't want to have to wear it all day because its super heavy nor do I want to have to leave the venue in the second dress and then five seconds later change again anyway. Has anyone done the mutliple dress thing?

• Wear whatever you want, it's your day
    42% (25)
  • Maybe scale it back to just 2 dresses
    31% (18)
  • You should really only wear the one dress
    27% (16)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

19

Most Helpful Girl

• It's your day---who cares? Lol. I think I was watching a TV show about a woman who had four dresses that day. Splurge! :D

What Girls Said 18

• If that's how you think it should be and you're paying for all of it who are we to say no? =)

I think it might be a bit much - maybe 2 dresses. Cut out the mermaid dress - completely unnecessary in my opinion. I'd change into the lace dress after the ceremony - sounds so sweet. =)

BUT if you feel you must have all three - then go for it. =)

• thanks for the advice. That's really the debate... is it going to be 2 or is it going to be 3.

• Well, only you can decide. =)
      Good luck!

Sounds like it's going to be a really cool wedding. ^-^

• I personally wouldn't wear more than one dress, but your wedding day is all about you and your partner. If you really want to wear three dresses, then wear three dresses, as long as you're able to afford it. The third sounds like you could find a white lace dress from an upscale store rather than going bridal shopping for it though, to cut back on some costs.

• thanks for your comments. The first dress was the only expensive one. The second I found online at a discount bridal boutique sample sale, and the third, on Modcloth.

• Can you not get your first dress to be something where you can remove the train etc? Or maybe just get a 2 piece and change in to a more wearable skirt? I get ehy you want to do it (I was ready to wear my jeans for my evening do with my corset top because the train was so annoying)...

Where are you going away to after the reception?

• The first dress is the only one thus far bought and paid for and the train is not detachable. After the reception, the hubby and I are hopping on a red eye to a surprise honeymoon location... at least to me. He knows where it is.

• ok well your 3 is justified... its a shame you cannot have it altered though?

The fishtail will be uncomfortable too, you ever worn one all night? no dancing can be done :(

• i've chosen only one dress or even two but its your special day so i think that you should be the only one to decide what you wanna wear

• I think if you like the dresses you should just wear them and actually I think it's a good idea :) I wouldn't wanna stay in the same white dress all day long, especially not for the dancing part

• on the day my sister married her husband she wore two. one for the ceremony that i am sure she could not breath in. the second for the reception, it was short and had straps making it easy for her to dance in. but it is your wedding day and those pictures are forever so do what you want.

• thanks for the comments

• It's your day! Wear 100 dresses if you want :)

• I'd just wear one but you do you, it's your day.

• If I had had the huge wedding I dreamt about as a teenager I would have had my huge lacy mermaid dress for the ceremony and change into a sparkly silver/white dress for the reception. Then again, the idea of the 3rd dress isn't all that bad for leaving rather then staying in a long dress to go back to the hotel.

Have you ever thought of a reception dress where you could take off the bottom part and have a short dress anyways?

• I thought about the tear-a-way dress, but both didn't really like the way the options looked and they were too much for what I wanted to spend on top of the other two dresses.

• Then go for it. :P

• its your day and your money so you can do as you please, but yes wearing 3 dresses is very over the top

• Ha, ha, thanks. I pretty much know its over the top... I don't want to say it, I don't want to say it... but, yeah, YOLO.

• hey, you can say what you like and wear a hundred dresses without giving a toss about anyone else opinion - its your big day so do whatever you heart desires :D

• Ugh, it's your wedding day so do what makes you happy.

• Are you ridiculously rich that you don't know what else to spend your money on OR Where are you buying your dresses? At a Buy 2 get one free store? or what?

Wedding dresses are expensive!!! and really, you can't and you won't wear them ever again.. unless you plan to stay the same size for 25 years and then again for another 25 years... Silver and gold wedding... D:

• instead save that money in a back account for your future children's college money. It's a far much smarter investment. School is expensive.

• BANK* :]

• That's a colossal waste of money in my opinion. Also, I think that multiple wedding dresses diminishes the special feeling of a wedding.

• If you think you can change the dresses really fast, do it.

• There is no rush. There is a small break between the wedding and the reception with plenty of time to change. The only time I might have to hurry is if we are running late for the get-a-way.

• ıt's your day, wear whatever you want :)

• It's fine in my book. :)

• You are the bride, and wedding is your bid day. So wearing as much wedding dresses as you want.

• I consider it way too much and I wouldn't do it. However, it is meant to be your day, so if you really want to, go for it.