Why is it socially unacceptable for even attractive, fit men to wear short shorts?

Ok, let me be more clear... I'm wondering about the cultural mechanism behind the fact that short shorts for men are considered those with ~6 inch inseams and the vast majority of mens shorts, in the US at least, are knee length or longer. At the same time, there are a plethora of ladies shorts with 2-3" inseams. I'm not interested in why any individual chooses to wear what he does. Rather I'm wondering about the social paradigm that is at work here.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because showing that much leg/skin is something society says only women do and it's demeaning for a man to imitate a woman.

What Girls Said 3

• Because men are absolutely terrified they might accidentally do a gay, and then have to spend the rest of their lives giving blowjobs in a men's restroom, which is completely absurd, but so is society

• I think its hot

• I don't think it is.

What Guys Said 7

• I dont wear them, cause my legs aren't nice enough, and are extremely hairy lol!

But, on a societal level, it has to do with being afraid of being identified as a homosexual due to your choice of clothing

• There is a user here - I think he is a hiker - He wears short shorts and he has a great pair of legs.

• Because girls are afraid of male sexuality and want restrict it

• If that doesn't answer your question, I don't know what does? :P

media.collegetimes.com/.../shorts-too-short.jpg

• because their balls tend to hang out

• The social paradigm there is called homophobia.

• It's because he'll never have any women interested in them so nobody chooses to wear them.