Are selfies narcissistic?

We live in a day in age where film is no longer a limited resource for taking photos, and people take full advantage of it. My roommate takes lots of selfies in the livingroom mirror. I see people do it everywhere. And most of us are all sick and tired of seeing other people post endless selfies on social media doing stuff like flexing muscles, eating food, binge drinking, and more.

I look back at my photos on my computer and see that I don't have very many photos of myself at all within the last 5 years. Most photos of me are on my family member's phones and stuff like that. My friends and I never take photos together, and I almost never take any selfies. I always viewed it as narcissistic and I don't like that trait in people. It's ironic because my profile avatar is possibly one of 5 selfies I've ever taken of myself.

Are selfies a form of narcissism?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think so, I see it as catching memories. I want to be able to look back and see if I was happy, How I change, and different places/ people I've experienced along the way.. It's more like a digital journal.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think most people who take selfies are narcissists, that would be an hyperbole.
    I just think it's a trend that the majority of people are quite eager to follow it.

What Guys Said 5

• I think you hit nail on head when you said film no longer a limited resource so people take many more pics and with social media people tend to display them. Is it narcissistic probably not just the way of the world - Do what I do if something annoys you , ignore/skip it there are plenty of other things to read/look at.

• pretty much yeah. on a side note i'm tired of the word selfie, one of the dumbest words i've ever heard.

• I guess it depends what its for. if its for like a legit purpose, like an I. D. then nah. its just taking a quick selfie of your face.

• I don't think so. I don't have anyone to take pic (s) of me and I think it's kind of weird anyway.

• I think they definitely are.