How is to have a school uniform?

We have to decide to wear an uniform or not, and I don't know how would be better, since I never had one...
So, in your experience, is it better an uniform or not? ^-^

• Uniforms are better
  • Not worth trying
  • Results

Most Helpful Guy

• It gives all people at the school a level playing field. They all look the same. It prevents some from feeling inferior because ( for example ) some kids have designer trainers while others have cheap ones.

It also instills a sense of "corporate identity" especially if you are proud of your school. It will be necessary to be quite strict so all are the same.

A uniform needs to look good. My sister's first school had brown blazers with gold piping round the edges. Very smart! My last school had black blazers and black trousers. Hot in summer, and very boring all year!

• I agree with you that it prevents people from feeling inferior because of their clothing. However I don't think it makes everyone level, since some people look better in some clothing than others. I think it is better when people can dress in clothes that they like and that fit them well. For example, I have a pretty straight figure, which I don't mind at all, but it does mean that I won't look as good in something like a blazer and skirt opossed to a girl who has more curves.

• @coldpieceofpizza That's where I think you are not completely correct. You sound a bit like my sister. Flat chested and slim. She always looked good, and I'm sure you would too!! Don't put yourself down! LOL!

• Thanks for MHG!!

Most Helpful Girl

• Uniforms are way better because you don't have to pick out what to wear the next day. Also, people can't make fun of your clothes because they're all wearing the same thing.

What Guys Said 6

• All schools in Ireland have uniforms the theory being there is no brand competiveness and less well off kids not under financial pressure.

• Yes, it is the same in New Zealand. To try and count down the "Ewww o my gosh she is wearing that" attitude because everyone is wearing the same thing. There are some schools that don't have uniforms in New Zealand but that is probably like 1% of schools if that.

• Don't do it. it kills self expression

• You don't have to wear a new set of clothes every day so yeah it's pretty good in my opinion

• I didn't mind it because it made dressing up everyday very easy

• i think they are hot on girls

• I don't mind it

What Girls Said 9

• I had to wear a school uniform for almost 6 years. It was alright. I like variety, and sadly there isn't much you can do with strict rules. But I made it work haha, with earrings.

It makes everyone look the same, no brand name/designer things were allowed to make it fair for everyone. People did look sharp, too. We had to wear white button up shirts (male and female), and sometimes a navy blazer. Boys wore navy pants, and girls were allowed to or skirts (had to wear knee high white socks with a skirt).

I did ROTC and had to wear my military uniform. I usually wore the full blues (navy blazer, blue button up shirt with navy tab, navy pants, and my rope on my shoulder). I only wore my ribbons and medals during certain events.

For school orchestra, we had band uniforms, or had to wear a long black skirt and white top during away concerts. For my adult orchestra, we had to wear the same for performances.

• They're good because you don't have to think about what you will wear to school, it's less expensive then buying normal clothes on a regular basis, saves time in the morning, everyone is dressed the same so it's not like anyone is left out, teachers can't give you slack about what you're wearing... it's mostly just easier and you don't think about clothes so much.

• It is simpler to get dressed everyday, but you do lose a bit of sense of self because everyone is like one unit of sameness. It becomes weird to see people in their "normal clothes" outside of the uniform because then they "exist" as an individual.

• It's better. You don't have to waste time picking clothes for the day and they're usually quite comfortable so it's fine. Also it's more fun when you see your classmates outside of school because they look really different from what you're used to.

• I like school uniforms. You don't have to spend time deciding what to wear. You save your nice clothes for places other than school. People don't get bullied based on the clothes they wear. The idea of uniforms is classical which I like.
    The uniform I had to wear when I was in school was too casual looking. It included hoodies, sweater jackets, and t shirts with the school logo on them. I wish our uniform looked traditional.

• You lose the ability to express yourself through clothes, and everyone just ends up looking the same :(

• awful specially when women have to wear a skirt or dress, shorts but no pants

it was awful

• I loved having a uniform! I never had to spend time picking out an outfit for the next day!

• I'm against them

Like KDA20 said, it's supposed to stop kids from getting bullied by making it less obvious what kind of an economic background you come from, but you can still tell. And kids definitely still get bullied (just recently the UK, where most schools have uniforms, scored second lowest in Europe for student well being, for example).

The other thing is it's supposedly less expensive for parents to just buy the uniform and then not worry about buying many other clothes, but uniforms tend to be quite expensive and then there's every day clothes on top of that.

Uniforms are a part of the 'hidden curriculum' in schools - ie. socialising kids into capitalist society. They're intended to demonstrate that you 'belong' to the school, and are a homogeneous student body rather than individuals. The uniform distinguishes students from teachers clearly, reinforcing the school's hierarchy. Strict uniform rules are there to be broken. So if a teacher wants to make a point about authority, they can always punish somebody, because it's so common for people's uniform to be 'wrong' in some way. The rules aren't always enforced, they're just there so that teachers can demonstrate their power.

Uniforms are often sexist; with separate uniform rules for girls and boys, which exclude nonbinary individuals.

Another argument is uniforms prepare students for the workplace; but this assumes that all students plan to go on to a specific type of working environment; a white collar, office environment. Which is not the case. Increasingly, also, dress codes for this kind of working environment in the real world are becoming more relaxed anyway. It's outdated to assume that suits, ties, etc. will be a requirement. In addition, schools contradict themselves in saying this as most appear to expect that all students aim to go to university, where there are no dress codes.

Uniforms are often impractical and uncomfortable - for example the school I went to used to force students to wear blazers, and boys to wear shirts with their top buttons fastened, in 30 degree heat. Which is clearly unhealthy and unhygienic.

It's a myth also to assume that without uniforms clothing would be a huge focus and source of worry for students. This is the case for students at schools with uniforms on non uniform days because it's a special occasion, so they feel the need to make an effort and dress up. If non uniform were the norm, what someone was wearing would not be scrutinized like that