How do you feel about 'fat positivity'?

if you dont know what it is its people celebrating their size and beauty looking up to role models like tess holliday
#fatpositive #bodypositive
how do you feel about 'fat positivity'?

• its wrong
  • team fat positive!

Most Helpful Guy

• I understand being comfortable in your own skin. But glorification like those photos... is disturbing.

I'm a chubby guy saying this!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it’s positive and beautiful in a way that people are not denying themselves of self-love and self-appreciation. Yet realistically, if you don’t take care of your body, your body won’t take care of you. Excess body fat can cause legitimate, harmful health problems that may take years off of your life. It’s not just some simple matter of superficiality. I don’t think we should encourage ourselves or others to do things that are not going to improve the quality of our physical, long term health.

What Guys Said 34

• Being in the med field is say it's total bs. Be proud of who u r, yes. But do it healthily. Only one body per customer. Gotta take care of it as best we can.

• How is this healthy? There's a reasonable size that people can be, but that is not healthy.

• I don't really think the size itself is an issue. What worries the shit out of me, and prompted me to lose 30lbs since August 2014, is the future health issues being nurtured at this very moment.

I lost a relative a while ago to a heart attack. Being in her 50's, she was almost the youngest of her generation. She was like this lady depicted, grossly overwieght. This lady might be reasonably fit and healthy now, but the human body is not designed to cope with this long term. In a few years, it will be too late to find an easy route to shed the excess weight. It gets harder with age. I have no doubt her life expectancy is shorter than it should be!!

• Total BS, but required by political correctness. May as well celebrate stupidity. Oh wait, we do that already.

• That's some nasty shit right there/it's wrong LOL i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• Don't care.

If you feel good about yourself, then great.

If you're just pretending to feel good about yourself, then you'd best fix it or you are in for some shit.

By the way I don't mean like, YOU you QA, I mean the hypothetical "fat" person in question.

• I don't think it's okay to celebrate and sugar coat something which is genuinely bad for you.

• I'm all for it, until it becomes unhealthy.

• Let's destroy our bodies from the inside out. Self impose a host of health problems and then celebrate this accomplishment, wow what a fantastic idea!

• Goodness gracious that woman should be exactly half her size.

• The overwhelming majority of people should not be that size. The 'medical issues' trotted out as 'yes, but...' excuses are not applicable.

• Damn. That's so unhealthy. All these women just want men's standards to drop down by having their pictures plastered all over the place while their standards be maintained or increased in men. Because these women who are for fat positivity don't care about men and their pictures. But hey, I'm glad I don't see fat men but I really don't wanna see these women either. Fat positivity will only lead to more fat people accepting their unhealthy lifestyle rather than having hope to start exercising soon and lose weight.

• It's ok to be overweight because I understand not everyone can change it, and some try hard

But to to act like that picture is good and people should be ok with that, I think it's dropping the standard for humans im general

It's not her weight that's the issue, it's the personality that allows her to actually be ok with it thats the issue for me... is she too lazy? Is she not strong enough? If yes I'm not attracted to that type of character

If she was busting her ass and still like that, it's all cool

• I don't really have a problem with it, More power to them?

• I'm against it

• I don't see any sense in glorifying a health problem. It's one thing to have a healthy amount of fat that some people may prefer that dose not effect your health, it's another entirely to be obese to the point were it is hazardous to your own well being. That's never good.

• As long as the excessive body fat isn't bad for their health (and I assume it's rare), I see nothing wrong with it.

• I do think people should stop fat shamming but fat is unattractive this is not an opinion, it's a fact that girl in the pic looks terrible if she lost some weight and got somewhat in shape she would be gorgeous but sadly she is not. I'm all up for people feeling good about themselves but I'm against this "fat is sexy" delusional crap

sexy is healthy either fit or thin

• There are two parts to this: 1. Being happy with who you are and loving yourself is one thing
    2. That being said, you still have to live a healthy lifestyle. Doesn't matter what people in society will say, but question is are you happy living that way (health point of view).

• If you are fat because of some genetic disease like Cushing's then fair game!!!

other wise you are a fool for celebrating something unhealthy kind of like making smoking glamorous
    😯😯😯😯

• She's a BBW and she is proud why should i judge her is the way i see things?

• That's not fat the correct term is obese lol its whatever its their life what asshole cares about somebody elses's weight?

• I wouldn't say it is wrong, you need to feel comfortable in your own skin, but I don't think we should celebrate it either

• thats saying its ok to be unhealthy. thats saying its ok to be content with what you are and view negativity as false positivity instead of trying to strive to be better than you already are. overall i don't agree to this however there are people who unfortunately born with horrible genetics that is hard to change, for those people i feel for

• I feel pity for that girl, she has her mouth open like "can I even breathe". I don't even consider her ugly but that amount of fat is way beyond what people could call healthy.

• It's not okay to bully fat people, m'kay? It's also not okay to encourage fat people, m'kay?

• that she'd be a 9 near 10 if she was at normal weight.

• doesn't bother me. And I'm a fat bastard myself

• I dont know i am too skinny for the think about this...

• That's fucking unhealthy and stupid no matter how you slice it.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 25

• I'm entirely against it.

Fat positivity is the last thing an ever growing obesity epidemic needs.

Western countries are getting fatter by the day with more and more GPs and hospitals filling up with people demanding gastric bypass surgeries because they can't put the damn fork down.

Predisposition to obesity due to thyroid and other medical reasons accounts to a laughable number of cases. An overwhelming majority are fat because they eat shit and don't move enough.

We shouldn't be putting fat people down, but glorifying obesity is a fucking retarded way to tackle bullying.

• I couldn't agree more.

• So embrace your physical features, love every ugly pimple, love every little scar... love you like there is no tomorrow... because no one else gives a damn but you and then those ppls that judge are just insecure and the hate is the reflection... People that live hating or judging on other people are stuck up... they probably think there better but in reality they are the freak... Who the hell made you perfect enough to judge?

• @apple24

None of what you said refuted my statement. Your variables still boil down to people's choices. All you did was list a bunch of excuses, none of which justify obesity.

Love yourself, but don't expect others to have your standards of beauty. Personally to me obesity is repulsive and no amount of bleeding heart feel good campaigns is going to change that.

Also, I can judge whoever the fuck I want, perfection has nothing to do with it. <3

• I have mixed feelings on the subject, if they're just celebrating the acceptance of others and tolerance then i'm all for it. But when they're actually celebrating being "fat" then I feel bad because I know their health is at risk. I have the same feelings with celebrating/glorifying unhealthy "skinny".

I'm also just tired of people being so superficial and with how much appearance is glorified in general, there is more to someone then how they look, it would be nice to see people praised for other things for once.

I think it's good to show a variety of body types/shapes/sizes, I just wish all of those body types were remotely in a healthy weight range for their height, give or take a little under or over would be fine but these extremes are what bother me. I wish health and fitness was promoted more than underweight and overweight people.

• It's body positivity, actually. It's a movement that allows you to love yourself regardless of your size or shape. Body positivity is a healthier attitude than fat shaming because if you love yourself, you are more likely to want to treat yourself well (ergo, be healthy, lose weight, etc) than if you are denigrated.

• it comes under positivity but is is seen as its own thing i know a few people who are involved with he whole #fatpositive thing

• How does that change my comment about fat-shaming being an ineffective weight loss method?

• it doesn't at all, it was merely a reply to your comment of 'It's body positivity, actually.'

• i think it's fine. nothing wrong with it at all. im not all about it and i dont talk about it all the time and i'm not some sort of activist, but i am certaintly not against it. everyone has the right to feel good in their own body.

• Nothing wrong in storing up heath problems for the future? Care to place bets on when the first heart attack will strike? How long before the first angina attack because of clogged arteries? How long before her hips and knees give out? That is why I was gritting my teeth two weeks after surgery to get back to some sort of reasonable 2-3 miles of daily walking!

• is any of that your business though? haha honestly. i don't agree with obese. unhealthy people. don't continue to get fatter and fatter to the point where you can't walk and have health issues. but if you've got a little tub i don't see any problem with it. people need to mind their own business.
      gettin all worked up over something that has nothing to do with you lol damn.

• To me that would be like someone being happy that they have cancer and it was killing them slowly and painfully.

• Why is it always team fat or team skinny?
    Can't we be team learn to love yourself and be happy in your own skin?

• The thing about fat positivity, it seems, is that it automatically means thin negativity.

I'm all for being comfortable in your own skin but if you have to put someone down who looks differently than you then you're doing it wrong.

• It doesn't "automatically" mean that.
      That's like girls celebrating curly hair are "automatically" saying straight hair is ugly, even if they say nothing about it.

You can't put someone down... without... like actually doing it...

• To be body positive is good, but when you are morbidly obese and don't try to lose some weight, that's a bad thing. @.@
    Yeah, if you don't look like a VS model but you are healthy (both weight and body fat %) you should be comfortable in your skin.
    If you are overweight (counted in body fat %), you should lose some weight, for health reasons, not to be considered sexy by society.

• I'm sorry but I'm against this.
    I agree that body shaming is wrong for sure but eating disorders or an unhealthy weight like that shouldn't be promoted because the more it is "accepted", the more people will actually get to that size because they think "who cares" - it's a doom-loop.
    Anorexia or underweight aren't accepted and promoted as "body positive" so I don't see why this should be since both conditions might be equally fatal.

• Tess Holliday is not a role model. No one should be looking up to her. Fat positivity is almost as dangerous as looking like Tess.

• this is unhealthy.. and they should stop doing this shit and try to get better.. who in there right mind should be happy if he or she is sick?

• I feel like it's their life to live and I don't have any right to step in and tell them if whether I think what they're doing with their body is wrong or right. I can see the positivity in being fat positive as it promotes body acceptance in those who are that size. However, I hope that they understand the possible health consequences to their size and having that percentage of body fat.

• This is the glorification and normalization of obesity.

I understand the concept of loving yourself no matter what your body looks like, but this movement is *literally* treating obesity as a positive thing.
    When I was addicted to xanax it was okay for people to say that I'm unhealthy and weak and ruining my life and that addicts need to change...
    But when someone's leading such an unhealthy lifestyle that they're obese, we're supposed to congratulate them?

Fuck no.

• Lol and me nor any other addict ever looked at a current addict as a role model. When they sober up, hell yeah. Until then... what did they do that's so great

• I just can't stop thinking about how bad health she has. She will might die in like 10 to 20 years. Why the hell should we praise that?

• She's a beautiful women, but we shouldn't be encouraging obesity. It's wrong to bully people for being fat as well. Instead of shaming others and causing them to feel bad about their bodies, we should be encouraging people to get healthy. I don't like all of this fat phobia either. They are people just like us who were misguided. We should be helping each other. Just my two cents.

• I think the point isn't to glorify being fat, but for magazines to show a diversity of body types. Although personally i would prefer to see a push for more racial diversity fist, but what can you do.

• As long as it isn't an unhealthy, life threatening weight, be whatever fucking size you want to be. If you love your body the way it is (and it won't kill you) then love it. If you want to gain or lose a few or more pounds then do it, but do it for yourself. Bigger women (AND MEN) can still be beautiful in the way they look without needing big breasts and a tiny waist or nice abs.

• I think it's unhealthy.
    Finding it hard to believe she is 100% healthy.

• every body has beauty and worth, even bigger ones. if you're unhealthy, you should get healthy, for many reasons, but this doesn't always mean get skinny. there is such thing as healthy chubby people. the body in the picture is beautiful, but sadly unhealthy. i promote body positivity and loving yourself if you're bigger, but you should keep in mind that obesity does a number to your health.

• Well it's good to feel positive about how you look, however you look. But in this case, she'll probably die before she is 40 from clogged arteries, which isn't something we should support.

• I support fat, thick and skinny people all around :)

• They are beautiful but if they work to get to a healthy size (they certainly don't need to be skinny to be beautiful) than i think they will be even better!

• Who cares. I don't think that we should glorify obesity, because it's still bad for you, but we should let people be happy as they are. The reason people create campaigns like FatPositive is to combat all of the shaming. If people didn't fat shame (or any type of shame) people, then they wouldn't have to counteract it. People have been fat shaming people for a long time. The FatPositive movement is a way to help fat people come to terms with theirsleves and become happier people. So I think the FatPositive thing has good intentions, which were poorly executed. Along with teaching people to be happy in their own skin, they should also encourage them to try to lead a healthier lifestyle. In the end though, it doesn't effect me. If other people are happy being fat, then good for them. I'm happy as I am, and they're happy as they are, and that's all that matters.

• im on the fence on this one.

• Looks like an excuse to not lose weight
    Everyone has a different body type but that does not mean everyone should be overweight. When someone eats healthy they don't stay overweight, it makes no sense why would someone stay overweight if they excercise and burn more calories then they consume or they maintain their weight
    Some people have health problems but the only reason why they know about their health problems is because they focus on their health but eating badly Is no excuse for having a health problem that affects your weight