I hate adopting fashion styles (shoes, brands, etc) if they are mainstream, is this a quality in hipsters?

I hate wearing brands that are worn by my age group (college age). Like i see a lot of the same brands and style of shoes and clothes even hairstyles. I always try to be different (but not out of place). does this make me a hipster?

Most Helpful Girl

• You're sounding just like by brother 😒 Yes it's hipster and he hates being called that too because for some reason it's becoming mainstream to be "hipster". But how about just not putting a label to it, how about its just "your" own personal style. Mainstream doesn't have to be bad, it's just what is currently generally liked by the masses.
    Kudos for you though for having your own personal style. Many people don't know how to style themselves so they stick with the safe, popular options.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are being different PURELY for the sake of being different, that is letting others determine how you dress (and thus is perhaps not conformist, but still not great). That could be kind of hipsterish, but mainly you're a hipster if you want everyone to NOTICE that you are "special". If you wear things that you don't even like just to seem "ironic" or weird, then you're a hipster. If you just like the variety, I'd say no.

Just don't wear the hipster uniform: a tribly hat (or jeep wool cap), broad-framed glasses, sad beard, skinny jeans that are too short, "ironic t-shirts", etc. This is a uniform, and is the opposite of unique.

What Girls Said 2

• no we all have our own unique style. i feel like id describe mine as chill yet feminine most days, low key for the most part, casual comftorable, just your normal "working college girl" but i definitely wear way too much black but i don't care because i love black lol

• No. It makes you a snob

• Lol how? I just don't like to be a cookie cutter version of my peers. it is so bland lol. everyone looks the same.

What Guys Said 1

• I suppose a little - I think a lot of the styles are efforts to be individual and move away from the mainstream style.