Women care more about looks than personality and intelligence?

True or false

I feel that women care more about looks than they do everything else because I have notice good women going with less intelligent but better looking men.

• True
  • False

Most Helpful Girl

• looks are very important but i also like dumb guys

Most Helpful Guy

• It's false. I think it's the same as with men. Both are attracted to someone good looking. But once that person opens their mouth, there needs to be something worthwhile come out. Looks attract initially. Personality and a bunch of other things keep that attraction. If there is no connection as a person, it's not going to happen.

Just how important it is depends on the individual. But in virtually all cases with men or women either one, there needs to be more - much much more.

Of course there are exceptions. If you go around looking for it, that's what you are going to see. Good looking, outgoing personalities stand out. But they are not in any way representative.

Envy doesn't get you anywhere. Never has, never will. Envy is something that needs to be amputated, before it consumes you.

What Girls Said 34

• There are 7 billion people in the world. Statistically, there is no way to give a true or false answer to what women prefer. Instead of generalizing it based on the gender, try to approach as a: who the person is and what they prefer.

But if you insist on generalizations, GENERALLY ALL PEOPLE want someone they are attracted to physically and emotionally, as that is how we are socialized and what comes naturally to us. How attractive a person expects you to be (if at all) is based on the individual.

• For a relationship I want it all. Personality, intelligence and looks. Looks matter. It ain't news. How much they matter depends on the individual's preferences though, and not gender. For me, personality matters more. I'm not going to date a hot douchebag. But neither am I going to date an ugly good guy. If I lack attraction for him on a physical level, it wouldn't be fair to date him. I wouldn't be able to have sex with him. So I want a nice middle ground.

Instead of generalizing, look at people as individuals. Not as gray masses that all think alike and share the exact same preferences and views.

• well they share similarities

• Read the book called the "e myth"

• Lumos would you say it all comes down to human reproductive instincts? I think we can generalize that we humans do follow certain predictable things. How a women's body language may be towards a man she likes, women's desire for taller males, guys looking for fertile features on women. Many of these things are evolutionary biology.

• Women care about looks, but they care about intelligence a lot more.
    BECAUSE women care about both, they'll aim to get BOTH. Looks AND brains.
    So yes, hotter guys who may have average IQ will be more wanted then ugly geniuses.

But the fact that we care about intelligence shows when we pick among "average rated guys" who either have all looks and little intelligence, or a lot of intelligence and no looks. Then we always go for the ugly smart guy, instead of the hot idiot.

Just like men want both too.
    They'll rather date an intelligent, well raised lady, than some mouth breathing bimbo. But since guys care more about looks, if they had to pick between an intelligent whale, or a dumb pretty bimbo, they'd always go for the bimbo. We girls would go for the whale. That's all there is to it.

If you have both looks and brains in any "average" capacity, you should be able to get a nice girl worth having. The only reason you're so focused on looks and think that's all women want is because...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qanDVZHliw

• I have a hard time believing this. I'm guessing by "intelligence", you mean something other than actual "g" IQ.

• @Gommers I wrote overall patterns of partner choice. Third factor is similarity. You look for "your own kind". Someone who can understand you, who makes you feel appreciated and whom you appreciate.
      If you're a smart guy, you'll tend to play that card a lot signaling you care about smarts a lot. What do you expect an average girl to do but think: "I have nothing to offer this dude, better get out of here because he's obviously too blinded by my tits to see it himself."

That's where social skill comes in. You learn to let a girl know she's wanted as she is. Women need to feel loved, needed, safe... If you have no social skill to communicate you see that potential in a girl, of course she'll bail.

• I have social skills, I just feel kind of dirty using them. I mean it feels like I'm acting, I'm an extremely up front person with a dry/crude sense of humor so my jokes are filthy but they don't really seem to come off as jokes unless the other person has a humor almost identical to mine. Appreciate the reply, good advice. Peace.

Nice to see that there's a girl in the world that actually has a good understanding of social dynamics and sociology/psychology.

Peace.

• Obviously looks matter, but if you're an asshole most women will leave. If you're ugly you better have an amazing personality or be hilarious or something to make up for it. Basically it's the same for guys and girls. We all want a nice looki partner who is fun to be with

• We've all noticed this being true for guys...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Women - not really... at all.
    Sure if there's a guy who is everything + ugly and a guy who is everything + pretty > the girl will go for the second one...
    Don't pretend you wouldn't.

• Maybe the type of girls you're attracted to are the type to go after looks? Or why else would you only notice those? I would think so.

We are all different.. But in general, irrelevant to gender, we need to all accept that appearance plays a big part in choosing your partners, because there has to be some type of physical attraction for a relationship to work.. It can't just be one thing.

And while some do only date for appearances, the truth is the vast majority doesn't 'solely' date for appearances,,, you just happen to be attracted to shallow girls perhaps.

• Honestly, it's about the same proportion of men and women who don't care about personality or intelligence. For the most part, women and men care about personality and intelligence more than looks (in the long term, as attraction is important but does not create a healthy lasting relationship on its own) but there are a few notable exceptions.

• No. Some women do- definitely!
    But a lot of women look for more substance... OR both...
    It's down to personal preference really...

• I'm not gonna lie, I like people that look good, but I would never consider an airhead to be my partner.

What we gonna talk about? About how hot s/he is? Fuck no... I need someone with brains and who have great personalities, who can make me laugh me who would helpe to help other people. Good hearts over bimbos

• HELL NO! When looking for a long term relationship, I place a lot of importance on intelligence! And sense of humour. But intelligence is No.1.

• I always look at looks first before I decide whether i'm interested in getting to know a guy romantically because I know if i'm not attracted to him it's pointless to even try and i'll only end up wasting both of our times all while giving the guy false hope. Also I think it's fair to do so when those very same guys are only interested in getting to know me for my looks not for who I am. I mean do you honestly expect me to believe you went out of your way to try and get my number when we just met because you like me as a person particularly when you've only complimented me on my appearance.

• For sex + dating = I TOTALLY care about looks with anything else being a bonus
    For platonic chit chat = Looks never matter.

• Looks are important, but so is intelligence. I wouldn't date a guy who doesn't read, or turn me on for that matter...

• Girls like guys who are more attractive than intelligent.
    Women like men who are more intelligent than attractive, looks fade and no intelligence equal boredom.

• both SOME women care about looks, some care about personality, and some even care about both

• I care about both just equally as much

• Equally, but not more.

• Speaking from personal experience that personality is much more importance, intelligence too. Looks don't stay the same forever, their personality does

• You are wrong in so many ways.

• I can't be with a good looking dumb ass. Looks mean nothing and to me, there's nothing better than a great conversationalist with a funny personality.

• if she only want to fuck you yes if she wants something real no

• Well it'd depends on what the girl is looking for. Does she want a relationship or just sex. If it's just sex she will most likely just want looks.

• FALSE! i agree with the other gals

• The funny thing in this poll is 53 guys claim it to be true whilst 66 girls claim it to be false. Anyways no I won't date a dumb guy just because he is good looking. I know one but both my heart and mind says he is a trouble :)

• I don't care about looks at all. All guys I have been crushing over so far, weren't anything I would consider "atractive". It was their personality that attracted me to them. Why do people give so much on lookism? It's stupid in my opinion.

• False in my opinion it should be a balance.

• There is nothing worse than a pretty boy with shit for brains.

• False. Opposite, generally.

• Personality is the most important thing. Looks are important but not as important as personality.

• Wouldn't that depend on each individual woman?

• so then what is your opinion?

• depends on to what extent. Some women won't settle for anything less than holly wood looking men.

• Good luck to them then? Unless they're 'Hollywood looking' (whatever tf that means) women most likely they'll be waiting a while.

• More from Girls
    4

What Guys Said 37

• For short-term yes.
    When it's time to buy a house and raise kids then intelligence and personality start to matter.

Being attractive and fun will get you offers for no-strings attached sex.

Being smart and reliable will get you offers for marriage, but you won't be the guy she's excited to sleep with. The guys they hook up with are the ones they lust after.

• I don't think so necessarily, but I do think that we all collectively base our dating-related decisions much more on looks than we would generally admit. Can we just throw the "shallow" b. s. out the window? We're all shallow (braces for downvotes). When I became muscular it was NIGHT and DAY the difference in attention I got from women. It's really crazy to think about. I'm not trying to be prideful but, based on my exp. and observation women are much more looks-focused than they would general admit.

And for guys, well, I think it's common knowledge we are looks-focused so there's not too much debate there.

But after the first step/stage of attraction or dating, the deeper attributes (personality, chemistry, intelligence blah blah blah) play a large role too of course.

• Oh come on, they obviously care about initial physical attraction first, and then personality/intelligence.

I'm always a bit appalled that males are surprised. That's how males work too. Is she physically attractive? Yes. Is she a cool person to be around? Yeah. Does she like you back? Yeah.

Check list done. In that order.

• For the first time in ages, I've actually sided with women on these sorts of debates.

You'll see conventionally unattractive men with conventionally attractive women quite often but the reverse almost never takes place.

Besides that, no they look at a variety of factors that determines their attraction or interest or lack thereof. The good ones to at least.

• What you are saying can be true, yes, however it's subjective to a woman

• You cannot really group together all women for this. Some women do, some women do not.

• Women do have similarities

• All women do have similarities. People in general have similarities. You are the technical worker. I am the entrepreneur

• That comparison makes no sense, and yes people do have similarities but that does not mean they all are the same. If you believe that, you must believe in stereotypes as well.

• greek gods are women's stop for one night stands and when it comes to relationships, its more of intelligence with well, not too hideous looks. But again, you dont want to be with a woman who has had a history of sleeping around if you care for your own self respect.

• isn't it obvious that the surface is what attracts every living creatures first cuz thats what they see when they furst look at chu. The inner surface comes last.

• They care about them equally. Some care about one more than the other. It depends on the individual.

• Generally speaking - and this goes for both genders - people are drawn in by looks and stay for personality.

• here's what i know... girls do care about looks, but they generally care less than it than men do... so it may be a good idea for guys to count their blessings

• Some do, some don't. But I think if you're an average looking guy with a good head on your shoulders you can find a great girl.

• I think both genders care about looks a lot. It's not always one more than the other.

• Women care about social power and influence above everything else, second is money, third is looks, intelligence is a bonus feature, like an 8th cup holder in her suv.

• Women want the total package. Looks, charisma, intelligence, physique, and so forth. You can argue if that is a good or bad thing, but it is what it is.

• I say false, personality should be prevailing

• Neither. They go for confident men.

• Women in general? Women aren't all the same, best way you find out is if you spend time with one.

• They care about both, in almost equal quantities.

• They care more about your wallet.

• False they don't care that much about looks

• Maybe, can't really say. And there's nothing wrong with that.

• Confidence and life sucess (like a stable job) seem to be more important factors and looks second.

• You can't generalize all girls into two groups.

• False because good personality falls under intelligence.

• I feel like that is definitely true, because there are plenty of intelligent guys that are howeverg

• Whoops sorry bout that...
      *** I feel that is definitely true, because there are plenty of intelligent guys out there that are passed up for their lack of good looks. However, girls are obviously going to want good looks, just like guys do. Girls pay more attention to looks than intelligence, since looks imply intelligence, but that is not the case quite often nowadays...

• Interesting gender divide on this one. Still, women should know how they feel, right?

• Only nine women have voted truthfully so far.

• Why has bank account not been mentioned even once...

• all the false are lies!

• More from Guys
    7