What do you think of colorful hair, piercings, etc?

I have purple hair. I don't care if you think I'm "pathetic" or "stupid" or "childish" or believe I won't go anywhere in life. I'm 16, taking all honors courses this year, and had already started getting invites to colleges and prestigious schools by freshman year, and I wasn't in any clubs or activities to boost my chances. I want to start a career in writing or photography, and I've been a straight A+ student since 6th grade, so it's pretty obvious that I'm not some immature wannabe who isn't going anywhere in life, so don't even start that type of argument. I want to see how much of an affect certain differences have on people's image of others. If you did not know any of the things previously stated about me and saw me walking down the street with bright purple hair, a lip ring, dark eyeliner, and black clothing on, what would be your first thought? Now if you knew all of the previous facts about me, but I looked the same? Would you believe the previous facts more if I were hair dye and piercing free? Or would your opinion remain the same from the beginning?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey, your body - your life. You just have to know that if you dress provocatively, people will make snap judgments about you, and they may not be the judgment you want them to make.

You already know both the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" and that it is bullshit, because people usually do.

• Except that this isn't what I want to hear. I get that people are like that. As you can see, it's obvious that I don't care how I'm viewed, all of my clothing comes from thrift stores and the walmart men's section for Christ sake. I want to see how people view others before background info, after background info, and if it affect their views even after learning their backgrounds. I already knew what you said in this comment.

• It is getting past the superficial judgements that is the hard part. Once you have a good friend, I think most people don't care what their friend looks like.

Most Helpful Girl

• if i saw you walking down the street i would assume most the negative things you said just not so harsh, now knowing the facts I see you differently and successfully. But if you were to apply for a job I think employers would prefer to hire someone with little to know peircings, gothlike clothing, and 'normal' colored hair just for professional appearance reasons even though im sure you are a decent person and obviously am smart and hardworking.

What Guys Said 2

• If you were my daughter, I'd be fairly proud. I wouldn't give a rat's ass about hair color, but I would not approve of facial piercings because, in the real world in which people have to earn a living, any facial piercings will hinder your ability to 1) get a job, 2) keep a job, and 3) get promoted in a job, unless that job is modeling facial piercings. This is because, to the rest of the uptight world - which is the people who have the vast bulk of wealth and control everything - facial piercings are not approved and one reason for that is that it is indicative of not thinking about your future. People in power want people who make intelligent decisions to work for them and a facial piercing is not an intelligent decision for a few reasons...

• Actually, most jobs will still hire you as long as you take the piercings out to work. It'd be really stupid to keep them in for interviews, but no one will stop you for having them in general as long as you aren't parading them around and imposing your own individuality onto the company.

• In theory, that's true. In practice, that's partly true.

If I was uptight and hiring and I sensed that you had a facial piercing (which I will find out because I will have a search done on all of your social media), I might not hire you or even bother giving you an interview. This is the real world now - hirers now check social media of their prospective hires so, even if you don't wear a facial piercing at the interview, if there is a picture of you doing so in social media, I will find it and, to me, it won't be any different than if you had worn it at the interview because, really, I know the truth now and will decide accordingly.

• I like crazy hair colours, piercings and tattoos on girls, and it doesn't make me thing better or worse about here. so the text you wrote doesn't matter at all for me.

What Girls Said 7

• I've always just viewed those people as way edgier and braver than I will ever be. I judge people on personality and I judge their intelligence based on things other than looks. I'm a medical student who frequently goes out in crop tops and has a belly button piercing so I'm not about to judge someone else for how they decide to "design" their appearance.

• That's great, I wish more people had that mentality. A store clerk followed me around the store for half an hour today ad tried hiding when I turned around. People here are incredibly judgmental.

• I always love to see colorful hair and people who express themselves in different ways. The only things that would make me judge someone off of what they wore or how they had their hair would be if they had some kind of offensive phrase printed on their shirt, or if they consistently had poor hygiene. Intelligence, ambition, and creativity have nothing to do with how someone likes their hair or whether or not they have tattoos/piercings. It irks me quite a bit when people make a fuss over these things.

• Same here. Whenever my cousin or I talk about hair colors, piercings, or tattoos, people start arguments based on their view of our intellect, while they still use words incorrectly, make bogus points and refuse to let their incorrect points die, and when they have finally been beaten they bring up our age and associate it with stupidity.

• you're awesome thats what i would think right now i am dying my hair purple i am doing it naturally with conditioner and food coloring hopefully it works if it doesn't, i will save up money and use kool-aid i wear a lot of black clothing and have compiled list of pros and cons
    Pros: you're hot as hell
    cons: you're hot as hell

• I think it is awesome. Looks have no effect on who someone is, how they act etc. I would think you're very interesting, and I would wanna be your friend, in both situations. Same for your next question. Piercings, tats, black clothes and hair dye do NOT matter for who a person is at all.

• i don't care about hair color. I'm a brunette and all my friends had change their hair color already but thats what they want i love them not because of their hair color or piercing. Just don't overdo the piercing its kinda ugh, you see, well... ahh you know what it is.

• They are fine. If you want to try them out, go for it. You are 16 for Christ's sake. It is alright to experience such things. When I was 16 I had purple and pink streaks on my blonde hair. I also got my lip pierced. As for your last question, I wouldn't judge you.

• I'm not a fan of that look on myself, but some people can really pull it off! Some people look really beautiful or handsome like that, but it's just not for me.