Is it normal for most Americans to have a walk in closet?

Or is that just a ridiculous thing movies and shows tell you is the norm?

• Yes, a walk in closet is the norm.
  • No. Only rich people have those.
  • Middle class people have those, not just the rich folks.

Most Helpful Guy

• Something like
    www.kustomklosets.com/.../Walk-In-Closets.jpg
    is something from an expensive house.

Something like
    st.hzcdn.com/.../traditional-closet.jpg
    or a little bigger is common with master bedrooms in houses or even mid range apartments. If you don't know the term "master bedroom" I meant like the biggest bedroom in the house where parents usually sleep.

I do have a walk in closet.

• Oh, I don't care about the size of the walk-in closet, I was just wondering who would use a room as a closet. o. O

• I think the space is really nice to have. I just looked up the average new home built here is 2,600 sq feet or 241 sq meters so there's usually a lot of space. I bet you Americans on average have more clothes and things in general than Europeans. I think there's a lot of consumerism with both cultures but probably more in the US.

• Thanks for mh : )

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• No, a small minority have walk in closets. However they are becoming more common. Newer houses are generally much larger than they were 20-40 years ago. Newer houses generally have more rooms, and the rooms are quite a bit larger. They have larger closets and are more likely to have walk-ins. Walk-ins are far more common for the master bedroom than for the other bedrooms. Master bathrooms have also become more common.

You will mainly see them in middle class and above, but some lower priced houses have them, especially if the closets were added later.

Many older homes don't have closets at all. People just use shelves, dressers, chest of drawers, etc.

Apartments rarely have walk-ins.

• many master bedrooms in middle through upper class homes have walk-in closets. even a lot of apartments now will have them

• Yes. It's standard in larger square footage homes. But the HUUUGEEE walk-in closets you see on TV are in mansions only.

• not all americans nope.

• It's certainly not uncommon -but many 'walk in closets' are tiny, you stretch your arms out and you can touch all four walls.

• It depends on the house size, but generally larger houses that cost an above average price have them. My grandparents have them and they live in a very expensive area, but not rich just above average. Me on the other hand I can't even fit in my closet LOL

• I've been looking at houses and I make about $50,000 a year. They have walk in closet but they are just built.

• Not sure who tends to have them, but I wouldn't know what to do with the space, I don't need any more clothing than what it takes to get through the week.

Maybe some steel toe boots and a camo hunting getup.

• Republicans need a bigger space when coming out these days.

• I have a walk in closet and my parents room has one also. They aren't huge though.

What Girls Said 5

• What's a walk in closet? -Sad American with a normal closet

Just kidding, it depends. I don't have a walk-in closet, but my parents do. I'd like one, but I doubt I'd have enough clothes to fill it. I mean, it's not that rare. Now that I think about it, I'm the only one in my house without one, and we are NOT rich. I feel slighted.

• Yep I think it is

• I live in an apartment and ours is big enough that we made a play room for our daughter in hers?
    I think they're normal honestly. lolol

• It seems weird to me to have a whole room dedicated to clothes. But if you have so many stuff or if you live in a big enough house.. But then again, if you have a spare room in your house, you can store everyone's clothes that are out of season, eg if it's summer, you store all winter clothes.

• I'm surprised by the poll. I just have a normal small closet and I constantly switch from winter to summer clothing and the other way around to make it not too full.

• Yeah, I do that too... In Europe that's normal. But I had an incing that walk-in closets might be the norm in America.