Do you think that people who dress up a lot actually have low self-esteem?

Like lots of make up, heels, perfect hajr, fancy clothes...

I don't agree nor disagree by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes. Definitely the case for some people.

Other times, they simply know to take advantage of the effects it has on other people. I get free and discounted shit when I go out, get treated with more respect, get more receptive responses from women...

There are a lot of advantages to being the sharpest looking person in a room.

Most Helpful Girl

• they could have insecurities, but they could also be confident af and wanna flaunt their stuff. or they could just enjoy it because theyre good at it. after all, fashion and makeup is an art.

so it does depend on the person.

• I think it's not necessarily low self-esteem, but they seem to have some skewed priorities. Spending an hour or more on your hair and make-up every day just to impress people is a bit shallow. Making an effort to look nice is one thing--going overboard? A bit self-absorbed. The world has more pressing need than flawless eyeshadow and perfect hair.

• haha :P yeah exactly, can u imagine a girl who gets so comfortable in looking after her appearance that it takes up most of her day? i saw this show where a girl was addicted to tanning salons. she's be in the damn thing 8 HOURS everyday. just tanning!
      exactly, i was just about to say that people could even think of it as 'therapy' @margaritapeach

• You are so right! Hopefully someday they will realize that being obsessed with yourself isn't healthy. :)

What Guys Said 10

• Disagree entirely!!! Self-esteem varies person-by-person and isn't correlated with superficial things like that in my opinion.

• My self esteem is pretty average maybe slightly lower. I insist on always wearing fancy clothes. Maybe you have a point.

• Not necessarily, I think that's actually assuming the more positive option. It's more likely they're just superficial and self obsessed.

• In a way yes. How you dress significantly affects others think of us. Not a lot of people like being judged in a negative way so they try to do whatever they can on the outside to avoid criticism.

Personally, I don't really give a flying fk. All I need is a tattered black metal tanktop, a beach shots and a pair thongs and then im ready to go :P.

• Depends on the amount of effort put into it. Is it just some basic make-up and dressing? No, probably not.

Is it "I need 3 hours in the bathroom and another 2 hours to pick my clothes"? Yes, for sure.

• I think some yes, some no.

• yes and same goes for makeup.

even bruce lee said what you lack on the inside you overdo on the outside.

or soemthing like it.

why very pretty girls ususally have very low self esteem. approval based slaves i tell yah

• There's nothing abnormal about having low self-esteem. It seems to be pretty common.

• yes. for sure.

• make up: yes, hair: maybe, cloths: no.

What Girls Said 13

• No, I don't think so. Some people just like to look good. I mean, not everyone has low self-esteem. Like what? If you dress down, you have low self-esteem because you are trying to hide your body or something. If you dress up then you have low self-esteem because you're trying to compensate for it. Ugh, so stupid, haha.

• The girls with low self esteem are the ones that worry too much of the opinions of others instead of doing what they want to do.

• They might genuinely enjoy picking out their outfits doing their hair and makeup. It might just be an enjoyable past time. Some girls might want to flaunt what they have and make up and hair are a way to do that.

• Hmmmm... depends on the person really.
    Some do, but some just like looking their absolute best every day.

• I don't think so. What's so wrong about not wanting to look like you came out of a dumpster all the time? o. o

• I like to dress nicely because I like feeling good dressing well. Its just how I can express my self
    !!! I get nice compliment s from people all the time... But that does not matter. I like looking nice 24/7... And I don't take hours to get dress or put my makeup on. I normally take 10 mins the most :)

• Oh and I just do a simple makeup like eyeliner and my hair naturaly lol... I got no time for that haha but I do dress nicely

• I kinda of admire them for taking the time to look nice!

• I think so, it's almost like they are afraid of being in their own skin. They constantly have to look good. That just seems so exhausting to me. I'm the type of person that doesn't care what people think of me though.

• tbh am not sure... some do it to show that they follow trend and stuffs like that

• Yes. I have low self-esteem and I do everything in my power to make myself look nice. It's hard no to. When you have this mental issue, you try so hard to make make yourself look good. Most of the time, after I apply my makeup, fix my hair, and look in the mirror. I think that I'm still ugly.

Also, being a black female doesn't help. We have to go through more to look beuatiful. Get weaves/braids and pay extreme prices to get them done.

• The exact opposite when I had really high selfstem I was dressing up so much and spending all my find doing it but now it's getting lower and I'm thinking "well I'm ugly anyway why bother"

• No, I don't think so. It depends on the individual.

• Doesn't have to be that way but I sort of feel like that if you take hours to be that perfect then maybe you aren't so happy with the way you look. Although that doesn't necessarily mean that you have low-self esteem, or maybe it does? From my personal experience, the females who've done this has had low self esteem when it came to looks.