What are the rules of wearing a hat for guys/girls?

I'm trying to figure out if there are really any rules to wearing a hat and the only things I can really think of are both genders are supposed to take them off when saying the pledge or singing the anthem, guys take off hats during a funeral, but girls can keep them on, teachers generally ask students to remove hats indoors, and most jobs that are indoor ask that you remove your hat at work unless its part of a uniform. Are there any other rules or are there no rules at all when it comes to hats?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you’re looking for "Etiquette rules", the best place to look is at "Hats Off! Hat Etiquette for Everyone" at “The Emily Post Institute.”

Emily Post wrote a lot of books on etiquette. However, you have to be aware that most "Etiquette rules" are considered old fashioned thinking now a days. Personally, I think every person should have to take Etiquette classes in school, but I know I’m considered old fashioned. So if you insist that others follow these rules, you may find yourself being called old fashioned and ignored.

• I have checked out my fair share of Etiquette rules from my local library. I love it. I love the order it gives, but I look for the ones written for this century to avoid going too far back in time. I try my absolute best to reign it in and try not to tell others who aren't in my world, how to live their lives, but sometimes I'm just like, really, who raised you, wolves... actual wolves? I wish they would bring etiquette classes to the mainstream, but alas, it hasn't happened yet. Thanks for the post about Post.

What Guys Said 1

• The only thing I can think of is a man may doff his hat when greeting someone but that is more a gesture than a rule.

What Girls Said 0