What do I wear to thanksgiving?

My daughter and I are going to my boyfriend's moms for Thanksgiving. We've never met her so we want to make a good impression. I'm use to dressing up in really elaborate dresses in the past bc my ex's family was all about the holidays. My current boyfriend is not much one for dressing up but he always ends up wearing something presentable. I just don't want to over dress or under dress seeing as this will be the first impression his mom gets of me plus I don't want to make my boyfriend look under dressed or me not looking good enough so he is embarrassed not that he ever would be. Then again my purple hair won't help my impression lol. Anyway what do I wear and what do I dress my daughter in?

Most Helpful Guy

• It sounds like your boyfriend comes from a family where being presentable is more important than dressing up. I would approach it to look smart everyday casual - Be yourself but make enough of an effort to be presentable. You and your daughter want to feel comfortable and happy in whatever you wear, this will help give a true impression of yourselves. Creating impressions is good but making a false one is awkward because when eventually your true self comes out it is a surprise to people, is it not better to show your true self and build on that impression.

Most Helpful Girl

• Formal casual would be good in my opinion. Maybe like a sweater dress or a nice shirt with a skirt or something. Something nice and fall-y that makes you look presentable but will also keep you warm. How old is your daughter? I would say either a nice dress or a nice sweater with jeans could work.

• I was thinking one of those long sweater type things lol and my leggings and a pair of boots (no heels) then figure something out with my hair but what I don't know. Any ideas?

• Is your hair long or short? I could give you some ideas!

What Guys Said 2

• Better to over-dress than under dress. You probably don't need to go over the top fancy, Thanksgiving is usually a more casual holiday (compared to Christmas, Easter, New Years Eve?, etc.), and it's usually centered around eating, so don't be impractical about it.
    Another option would be to plan your outfit so that it's nice and classy, but easily converted to more casual if you feel way out of place and want to relax more as the day goes on.
    Depending how old your daughter is you could probably bring a change of clothes for her just in case.
    Don't over think it though, I'm sure if it were a suit and tie affair your boyfriend would let you know... Chances are it's gonna be a lot of jeans/khakis and sweaters though for the guys if it's anything like the different Thanksgivings I've been part of... lol

• You're talking to a guy who has ZERO sense of style. I'm in a (nice) plain black tee shirt and jeans 99% of the time.
      What you described sounds perfect though!

• Well, first make sure your daughters hair is purple, that way you'll be a matching set. After that, id say to ask the boyfriend what he thinks is appropriate. If he has no opinion i'd say you dress like you are going out for dinner, nothing fancy but still nice. Or maybe a bikini.

What Girls Said 2

• I would go with a cowl neck sweater dress, with some black leggings and boots for yourself. You want to be casual but still dressed nicely. Something like this with a belt is my favourite: http://i.imgur.com/x7D6FcA.jpg

• Just wear a nice sweater and a nice pair of jeans.

• Wear it up in a nice bun or high ponytail