Poll: do you think that artistic nude depictions "objectify" women?

Poll: do you think that artistic nude depictions

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on the image. I feel like most photographers choose models based on their sexuality.

A lot of the pictures are sexually suggestive if you look at their facial expression and body language.
    Then there's also the fact a lot of modeling pictures end up being used to advertise products.

I mostly see most models as glorified strippers who comercialize their sexuality for profit.

The ones you showed don't seem sexualized or objectifying though.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm very much aware of the intentions of nude artists. i think however that what makes an artwork look objectifying is when u can actually see an artist's negative attitude of women in the artwork.
    with the ones you've shown, we can clearly see that the womanly form is appreciated, given softness, innocence, etc.

some artists can be very vulgar in their depictions and will definitely give off a different message. just comes down to style.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, but objectification isn't inherently bad. People have done this since the caveman days. Cave paintings. Old artwork. Sculptures. Male and female. It's a physical representation of beauty and nothing more. It's to be appreciated. That doesn't make women lesser.

• Women are highly objectified nowdays have u ever seen any commercial without a woman in it GOD I saw a Jarl JR ( Hardee's ) tv commercial and it was more like a porn commercial in order to sell anything now u have to put a woman on it , and they put perfect women so the normal women imagine that in order to be beautiful in a man's eye u have to have flay stomach , rounded ass , etc and nothing about morals or kind heart ir personality or anything , our minds is now possessed by the media

• Sorry this is only coming from a guy, but bodies are bodies. When I was growing up, I never looked at an ad with a "sexy lady" or "sexy guy" and thought, "Man, I want this product because of that." Nobody told me it was a big deal, so I don't think twice about it and I compartmentalize. This is just art to me, and I don't think about it any less or more unless someone mentions to me that it has nudity. Artists of the Renaissance seemed to think similarly. Short answer: No, it is not.

• No, they are beautiful.

• I don't know
    I just see it as art

• No he anything it should empower women. The female form in all its shapes is beautiful and to be put into an artistic context just proves that

• no, they are remarked more for the artistic impression

• If it's art and not meant to turn the guys on, I feel it's fine.

• No, because it's not about sex. The female body is fucking EXQUISITE, it really is. Every little part of the female body turns a man on. Porn on the other hand, objectifies women.

• lol what? they are beautiful, that is all. how does that "objectify" them?

• Think they what?
    What da !

• Not really, no. And I wouldn't even call those pics nude, so much as I'd call them "covered."

• One could argue that male nudes are objectifying as well. Personally, I believe it depends on the artist and his/her intention.

• A Playboy spread and a classical nude statue or painting are two whole different ballgames.

What Girls Said 7

• Not always.

These depictions seem more to embrace femininity than to objectify it.

I guess it would be objectifying if it was her taking the "shape" of something. Like a nude or nude silhouette taking the shape of a beer bottle, and erasing her head.
    In art, I don't see objectification but more of appreciation.

• Not at all, I'm fine with nude photos etc as long as it doesn't depict sex or sexuality in a degrading fashion and the model in question consented towards being photographed in the buff while being compensated fairly.

• It celebrates the female figure and her fertility and her role as a mother and her natural health and physique. What is wrong is when she is shown in degrading sexual positions or shown in sexual contact with a man.

• No not really.

• They are tastefully objectified.

• people have been depicting naked people for thousands of years. prime example: the greeks! humans like looking at human bodies it's natural. it only ever objectifying if the nudity is outrightly over sexual.

• some does and some doesn't. same with porn.