Is black hair ugly?

I grew up learning that black hair is ugly and straight hair is the pretty best hair to have. ( what people have told me). Even my friends advised me to put on more weave in my hair or wear it more often but I think she was just trying to say she is better looking then me. But anyways my mom won't wash my Hair anymore because she says it brings out my nappy hair more. I know how to comb and put smothness in my hair but how often is black hair suppose to be washed and blow dried? And do you agree with the straight hair is better then kinky hair type thing?

Most Helpful Girl

• no no no don't say that. all hair types are lovely. id actually try to imitate that type of hair someday if i could lol. i think u should continue to wash it regularly though. better for your scalp.

id recommend buying oils. girl those do miracles. it'll help a lot. also, if u plait and bun your hair, that will improve smoothness and length. make sure u get your hair thinned out [if it's thick] as well so help u manage it :)

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think it's the hair that makes you look less attractive to be honest. Obviously, if you don't fix your hair or brush it and it looks a mess, you would just look like you're in a rush. However, I usually look at the face more and black hair does not look ugly. Black hair can look really nice, I don't see why there is a reason for it to be ugly. Go with how you want it to be like. Straight hair or 'kinky hair' is fine as well, I don't think I prefer one over the other... that depends how it looks on certain people.

• No I love black hair on a girl

• there are people who like blonde or people who like red hair. there are all kinds of people out there. for myself i dont care about hair, however i prefer freaky styles, like half cuts or blue hair but i also appreciate normal hairstyles, depends on the person really. as u can see, there isn't such thing as ugly hair

• I think straight hair is more attractive but that is just me. I'm sure there are guys out there that like girls with curly hair.

• I have pure black hair, Jet black. So black that it burns when I stay on the sun for too long. I guess that means I'm ugly then... 😞

• LOL at black people and hair issues. It never ends.

What Girls Said 9

• I straightened my hair for my wedding and when my husband saw it he said it he got sad. The man loves my afro. I don't feel like straight hair is better than kinky hair. I like the versatility of my hair. I only chose to straighten it for my wedding because I did not want to look like I was straight out of the 60's. On a normal bases I wear my hair in an afro. I have the kinkiest textured hair ☺ If you wash black hair and blow dry it too often it will dry out and break. I recommend washing it once a week and only using heat on hour hair once a week. Always use a heat protecting product.

• Black hair is definitely not ugly :) (I'm going from the rest of the question and assume we're talking about black people's hair rather than the colour :P )

• Natural black hair is so diverse and beautiful.

Here are some examples of beautiful black hair.

blackgirllonghair.com/.../2014-01-01-2-300x300.jpg

blackgirllonghair.com/.../IMG_0340-300x300.jpg

newnaturalme.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/photo.jpg

www.curlformers.com/.../...01-vertical-gallery.jpg

thestylenewsnetwork.com/.../...-Natural-Hair-1.jpg

journeytolong.files.wordpress.com/.../...ful-7.jpg

bglhonline.com/.../c7172f5b6927660.jpg

blackgirllonghair.com/.../dye-leo.jpg

I'll stop, I'm getting picture happy. See, there are soo many examples of beautiful black hair.

Depending on how thick your curls are and how much moisture they need you to give, skimp out on shampooing and opt for lots of conditioning love. Shampoo maybe every week or two. I know this may sound gross to some people. But what works for some doesn't work for all. Heck, there are probably loads of natural women out their who shampoo every other day (which hair stylists generally recommend doing) Deep conditions will really help. Do those maybe every 3 weeks to a month. I would not recommend putting too much heat (blow drying/straightening) on anyone's hair. It fries it. However, everything is ok in moderation. I straighten my hair maybe 3-5 times a year. I'm biracial, so I have curly hair that needs lots of love <3

Best

• You mean like ethnic hair?
    Nah. Straight hair is just easier to manage.
    Fighting with my kinky hair is tiring, so I straighten it once a week.
    My other friend just leaves her fro out all the time.

• Black hair is ugly? :( Maybe I should consider dying it then...

• no its beautiful :) i especially like medium length choppy layers and big swoopy side bangs so black emo hair is totally awesome :)

• I love black hair and it's better if it natural black shine but I like brown hair too. And by the way I prefer wavy hair than straight hair it looks more sexy I think

• love black hair, love waves and the natural look of ones hair

• No just learn to take care of it