What is a good age to let your child dye their hair?

My 7 year old really wants hair like her favorite character, Draculaura, from Monster High. I think it's a little too young to let her do anything like that, but I'm considering a couple pink streaks. What do you think?

• Under age 10 is okay
  • Age 10-12
  • Age 13-16
  • Age 16+

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm... Maybe try getting those spray on hair dyes that come off after like one wash? That might just satisfy her for the weekend where she can be Draculaura but won't do any damage to her hair. Or try semi-permanent dyes if you do decide to do it, and definitely make sure you go to a hair dresser to have it dyed so they can do it properly for her and give you advice on maintaining her hair's condition. I personally think a few pink streaks wouldn't be so bad, just don't dye the whole of her hair so young :)

• Yea, I've used the temp sprays and colors you can buy and put on that only stay until you wash, but I would definitely take her to a hair stylist to do it. She has blonde hair, but she was wanting black and pink permanent stripes throughout her whole head.

What Guys Said 3

• I think pink highlights is a good compromise - I wouldn't allow her to dye her hair till she was about 14/15

• I say around age 13, is a good time to dye hair in funky colors. Gotta get that eccentric stuff out of their system before they enter the workforce!

• I think its ok when ever. The issue is the bleaching if they aren't blonds it can be a bit painful, so it depends on the child. As someone with rainbow hair and who notices peoples hair a lot. I have seen people do it from under 10 to being in their grandparents. *Rarely but true*

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think its a big deal... I would just let them!

• I think 7 is way too young. There are hair clips that she could use instead for now. I personally had highlights when I was 13 and dyed my whole head the following year. Once I was a teenager I was allowed to dye it whatever color I wanted as long as I paid for it myself. I don't think that is unreasonable. There is no reason why a child as young as 7 should be dying her hair, at least not with permanent dye.

• maybe try doing some wash out or comb in non permanent ones. once she dyes her hair it'll never go back to being that colour

• I think she should wait till she's a teenager, but in the meantime, synthetic hair clips will be fine.

• any age. as long as its not full of harsh chemicals I don't think it's a big deal

• I first died my hair when I was 11

• Above 16. I did it when I was 15 and I regret it lol

Also, they're some things you can use to dye her hair that won't damage her hair.
    Vegetal paint for example.

• I'm 19 and still haven't dyed my hair

• You can find temporary hair dye, or hair spray that can change colour of your hair. If its for fun and she wants to be creative, why not? But if its like a serious thing, then probably when she's much older.