How to tell my friends to dress formally without being bossy/rude. Whenever I throw a fancy party they come underdressed. What should I do?

I like to party. I like to host parties and somtimes they are casual, but sometimes they are really formal with fancy decoraions and posh food. I always write in the invitation if "black tie is optional" or needed. However, everytime I throw a fancy party my guests come underdressed, it got to that point where it was my 18th birthday and I had a long gown with crystals and one of my frenemies wore SWEATPANTS! I think it is really disrespectful from them to show up like that. They are trying to humiliate me. Personaly the more I respect the person that is throwing the party, the better I will try to look, especially if that person NOTED how should the guests dress.

The weirdest thing is that those same "friends" of mine dress really formally (rhinestone dresses and high heels or suit and tie) when somebody else is having a formal party. What's that about?

I am having this REALLY important event coming up, I am the host and I will be wearing a long gown.

HOW DO I TELL MY FRIENDS TO DRESS FORMALLY (don't tell me they don't know how and that they don't have that kinda clothes cause I have seen them in it)?

Help pleaseeee

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Forget the email. Drawing is a good idea so do that.

I don't think it's humiliating you but I do agree they should dress better. At parties I usually wear dress and my friends wear what they want... I totally understand what you mean.

What Guys Said 4

• That is a tough one - What I would do is talk to your friends and say that it is an important event for you so could they please dress up.

• Are you sending these invites through email/online?

Go all out and say "attire :White or Black Tie" maybe include an art piece that has a couple in a dress and tux

• Just say them directly
    It won't sound rude at all
    They won't mind and obey you if they respect you and are really your friends
    Swag 💁

• If they really important for you then they can understand you and also appreciate to you, Please describe your condition and they understand that things..., if not then don't force it...

What Girls Said 2

• tell them its part of a sociology experiment, and in this one, you will be supplying the wardrobe for everyone and just get them all their own little black dress... even the guys :) lol

• Go shopping together. Talk about what you're going to wear etc. You can't force them though.