Am I gaining muscle?

I've been weight lifting a lot lately (as opposed to just aerobic work) and I noticed some of my clothes fit tighter around my bicep/chest area.

is this because I am gaining muscle or am I just getting fat? I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I figure if I am weight lifting a lot more than I wouldn't be gaining fat in the are I am lifting around.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you have been benching a lot more your chest will grow out kinda noticeably and biceps well if the sleeves are hugging your arms more than your just getting muscle, best way to figure out which is to test you max in things and see if you got better,if so than its muscle, you would especially get bigger muscles if you lifted heavy weights low reps as opposed to tone muscle through low weight lots of reps I doubt your getting fatter but if you like more loose clothing than you might want just tone or get new clothes.

What Girls Said 2

• Is the area your clothes are tight around toned and hard or wiggly and well...ya know fat?

lol you should be able to tell by the structure whether its fat or muscle. If your lifting weights then I'd go ahead and guess that its newly toned biceps and chest.

• if the muscles are becoming more defined it means that you'll be gaining muscle. If its like 'moobs' or something like that, then your getting fat. If your gaining muscle you'll probably lose a little bit of weight by losing the fat, and if you continue to gain muscle you'll probably appear to have gained more weight, because muscle actually weighs more than fat.

What Guys Said 10

• It's quite normal if you work out, that you gain muscle. Some people tend to need to work out hard to gain a little, some gains tonnes of it after the first few workouts.
    But still, as long as you don't blow up your body, it's far better to work out than not to do it!

• Given the different body types, it's quite unlikely you'd be gaining fat in the arm and chest areas, without gaining it in others as well. Hell when I weighed 255 pounds my arms and legs weren't even that huge. I did have quite the pair of moobs though. I would have to say it's most likely muscle.

• You could still be gaining fat in those areas, weight lifting adds muscle, it doesn't do much to lose fat. Very few calories are burned in anaerobic exercise versus aerobic exercise. But doesn't sound like that is the case.

• you can lift weights all you want and still gain fat. it all depends on your diet. if you have been doing aerobics and you cut back it's possible you have gained some fat, but it should be pretty easy to tell whether it's muscle or fat.

• yea that happens to me I got a tighter chest and its because I grew muscle if you take sups you gain more muscle if ur more like me weight 150 like me you might get fat. The way you can tell is you can flex and touch ur arm if you touch it and its hard that's muscle. plus veins pop when you get tension on the muscles so I shows you have muscle. If ur thinking of doing a lot of weightliftting give me a shout I tell you some stuff about it.

• I'm 16 and new to weight lifting, I could really use some advice.

• Well its hard to do get a trainer or workout on your own. My body is alright but you got to eat a lot if you want to gain anything. EAT eat eat is the main idea to gain muscle. That how you pack on muscle. It takes time a minimun of 4 weeks to noice the difference.

• Eat and is a major factor if you get a gain alot. People eat around 4-6 meals a day cause they wanna gain and get bigger. A weight gainer will help you a lot to gain weight and pre workout will help you burn more and get better pumps. It al come done to eating if you want a website. Check it out link .

• Your clothes feel tighter because you are gaining size. What kind? I don't know because I don't know your diet. But base on what you presented, I would have to say you are gaining muscle because you're noticing it only in the chest and arms. Keep it up.

• Its all about your diet , if you want to put on muscle eat protein rich foods if you want to loose weight reduce the carbohydrates. its a simple.

the weight lifting will increase your muscle mass undoubtably but it should be your aim to become more lean and reduce you fat at the same time.

You have gained muscle but havn't lost fat , so your arms and chest have increased in size

• You should be staying around the same weight or losing weight because by lifting you are reducing your body fat percentage in different areas of your body so if hav been gaining weight that means its not the muscle

• you have to eat right too when you lift...otherwise, you won't see as good results.

If you use protein powder and do not lift alot...while taking it, it may cause you to get flabby.

• Muscle. Duh.

• Sorry, I think you're getting fat.