Needing mature advice about the septum piercing and mother?

Basically, it's my 18th birthday soon (months away actually, but too much of a over thinker) and my friends and I are all planning on going to a different city for a few days to hang, drink and so on. I've also decided to get some more piercings there as I like a change of scenery and I've wanted to get a piercing at this particular parlour for over a year now. I'm hoping to get my septum done there as i've wanted it since i was around 8 years old. The problem is, my mother is very anti-body modification and whenever i tried to ask her if i could get that piercing, she would practically scream no from the roof tops. I've tried everything; making a intellectual powerpoint explaining how it's done, why it's safe, the pros and cons and that it can be hidden, I've tried telling her I will pay with my own money and she doesn't have to go with me, i've offered to keep it hidden whenever we are visiting family, etc, but nothing worked. I'm not one of those people to just do stuff against my mother's wish since i do live under her roof, but i can't help but feel like 18 is quite a milestone and i should be able to do something I want for a change. Have any of you got **Mature** advice you could give me about what i should do, or perhaps even say to her or at least share an experience similar to this and what you done? It would mean so much to me. Thank you in advance. - And to mention, i'm from the UK, so the drinking age/adult age is 18.

Most Helpful Guy

• If parents are against something it is very tough- I know 18 is drinking age and over voting age but really you don't get total freedom until you are out of school working or going to university for a year or so - It seems a long time but hold off till 19th or 20th birthday and still be polite but a little more forceful saying it is your life now, your decisions.

Most Helpful Girl

• If she's against it then there's likely nothing you will be able to do or say to change her mind. You don't really "need" her permission though since it's your body and you would be paying with your own money. If you really want it then I would say to just go with it. Sure, she won't be happy about it but ultimately, it's your choice to make, not hers.

You will just need to be prepared for any consequences that may arise from it concerning how she may handle it (since you do still live with her). Like anything else in life, there are pros and cons. You just need to weigh out the possible outcomes and then decide what you want to do.

• That you very much, that's the kind of answer i was hoping for if i'm honest. It's hard having a strict parent, however she needs to start to accept that it's my life and at the end of the day, it's my body and i have to keep comfortable in my flesh, ya know? - Thank you for taking the time to answer.

• Yeah, which is definitely understandable. You're welcome and good luck!

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 0