Why do female tennis players wear skirts?

So I am watching tennis and I got to thinking why do female tennis players wear skirts?

I thought it might be for better mobility but they all wear shorts underneath so it defeats the purpose. In fact I would think adding an extra layer of unecessary clothing would be a hindrance.

Is it a requirement? If so why? Is there some other reason I am not considering?

Can anyone shed light on this?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, but I have a very strong attraction to female tennis players. I think the skirt adds to the sex appeal, but that is obviously not the reason they wear them.

What Guys Said 5

• Same reason why professional male runners wear the super tight pants, it allows you to move and stretch freely, just covered by a skirt to not show other goodies or attract too much attention.

The male tennis shorts are 90% the same, just no skirt, the tights underneath and a short over, and i personally think that the skirt is more comfortable. But it might shake the tennis world too much if guys show up in skirts.

• Really good question! I would have to assume it started way, way back when... female athletes (and females in general) were required to wear a skirt all the time! I assume that over time the skirt style and appearance evolved to what we see today. On another note... you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a guy that doesn't think the look is extremely hot and in a society where sex sells and tennis needs marketing... where did all these smokin' hot players come from lately? Not a coincidence!

• I don't know, but i'm good with it ;)

• It's just tennis etiquette. Same reason in golf, guys have to wear pants but women can wear shorts.

• tradition and no other reason.

• Do they all wear them? Or do some wear shorts?

• some where shorts. there's no rule saying they have to wear skirts but its tradition and most of them like doing it. its like in track women dont have to wear the underwear like spandex they can wear the ones that cover their thighs like dudes do but they dont want to.

What Girls Said 3

• They're comfortable, cute, fashionable and sexy.

• It is tradition and started when it wasn't acceptable for women to wear pants. They're not required to wear skirts anymore but they mostly still do.

• That's a good point!