Which Windows 10 Start menu looks better/easier to use?

Start Menu 1
Start Menu 2

• Start Menu 1
  • Start Menu 2

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I prefer start menu 1. Large icons to click on and see a snapshot of its content is awesome.

I'm one of those eccentric computer people that wants their wallpaper pic completely unobstructed, so I have a toolbar on the bottom right corner of the taskbar with all my shortcuts, and I hide all my desktop icons.

Anytime someone uses my PC, they get confused because they don't see anything to click. :-P

• Interesting story about the development of the user interface for Windows 95 (back when it was code named 'Chicago').

The inspiration was the workplace shell from os2 with the uncommonly used bits removed.

The approach that a user was supposed to use to open an application was this:

- Right click on the desktop
      - Select 'new' {document type} from the menu
      - open that document with the default application

This way of organizing user tasks is called "document centric" as opposed to "application centric".

It confused the hell out of usability testers. They just sat and stared at the screen not knowing what to do. Eventually Microsoft developers relented and added the task bar with a great big "START" button. That gave the usability testers a place to begin.

You've apparently recreated the experience on your PC.

Kinda funny, really.

• @gray_sailor It is rather hilarious how a younger person like me re-enacted old school Windows! I've always been a "function over flash" person, which is why I bought a Windows tablet instead of another Android. :-P

What Girls Said 6

• Start menu 1 looks better (newer) but it's also pretty jumbly in my opinion.
    I don't like that the boxes are different sizes/colors.

Start menu 2 is familiar, so it automatically looks easier to use to me.

• Start menu 1, that's what we have at school, the only computer I use. 😂
    I got pretty used to it. 💁😂

• For us tech support windows 10 WiFi setup is such a pain in the ass. they won't work on some modems. but I say menu1 looks cool. and I saw Stephen curry so yeah. hahhaha

• The newer one is so unecessary I prefer the classic type of Windows start menu

• menu1 is cute. I like it

• The second one.

What Guys Said 11

• windows 10 is fucking awesome, but it still has its flaws, well that was obvious :P

but I prefer it over my windows 8, the layout is simply fucking awesome.

• oh shit, totally dodged your question lol.

im used to the first one now, so I say 1st. but idm either.

• Since Win 10 is just a 'repaired Win8 , I'm not in a hurry to replace my Win 7: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• I've been using style #2 since my first Windows 95 computer ages ago. I've gotten used to that style and don't feel like switching to another.

• I'm not feeling the Bern on either man

• This is the one I like ;) ... and the one I'm use to.

lizzy. com. au/.../dialup_highlighted. gif

• Menu 1 is some bull. I know how to use a computer, I don't need my options put in a cutesy square box for me. It looks like it's catering to slow and or old people.

• Linux

• i tend to set up all my installations to look as close to XP as possible.

• I don't like the mobile Windows software

• I would vote for Start Menu 2. But, eh, I will stay with Windows 7.

• Second one, that's how I keep mine. Love it.