How on earth did the utilitarian parka become fashionable?

I see girls wearing them all the time, especially around campus. Even celebrities wear them. My question is, aren't these parkas made for like really cold weather? There isn't even any snow! I see them being worn on mild days, all bundled up. Can anyone explain this?How on earth did the utilitarian parka become fashionable?
They are even big in Japan!

Most Helpful Girl

• I like it! Its nice. its to keep you warm!

What Guys Said 20

• Many females lack adequate heating capabilities. When coupled with a male, they will typically rob him of his body heat in a well-rehearsed dance known as "cuddling."

During this intricate act, the female will typically placate or even seduce the male with affection as the energy transfer takes place. The amount of affection is directly related to her heating requirements and the amount of time it takes for her to reach thermostasis. Experienced females can accurately judge the effort needed to keep the male placid so as to ration her own energy and time, so as not move the male to a state of arousal that she may have to fend off. She realizes excessive shutting-down of male advances may limit her access to his energy reserves in the future.

These females you observe likely lack a personal external heat source (male) and also do not see any suitable candidates in their surroundings. Otherwise, their bodies would expend extra energy for heating so as to wear less artificial fur (parkas/coats.) Any female observed to be wearing far less clothing than cold weather dictates can almost assuredly be presumed to have found a suitable heat source and is attempting to lure him into the thermal parasitic relationship.

• The logo. You see that logo on their left arm? It's Canadian goose feather or something. Really expensive. Makes you look rich.

• They are nice winter jackets plus they are very warm

They were originally used for very cold climate expeditions... you can wear a t shirt under it and still be warm in -25 weather

• I like parkas because of their hoodie and their big container pockets. Just practical thus.
    (I hate vests without hoodie and with 11 tiny pockets.)

• a jacket? whats wrong with a jacket?

• When it comes to women and fashion, shake you head and move on. It does not make sense, it's a female thing.

• Lol who knows the most logical explanation is some person saw someone famous or their idol or someone wearing it and her/his friends saw them wearing it and before you know it you got a fad on our hands.

• Well it's essentially just a coat

• They've been going in and out of fashion since the 70s. When I was a kid nobody would be seen dead in one.

• Because who cares its just fashion it doesn't mean anything.

• Because they already sold you all that other shit and they need to sell something else to you so it's what is still in stock so it's what's in... Now shut up and buy what we tell you to by like a good Muppet.

• I have a white one. Best jacket ever owned.

• Why tf do clothes matter to u

• I hate that parka lol... Very silly and postmodern seems to me

• It's still pretty cold here.

• It's not about fashion... It's cold outside.

• certainly looks better than ugg boots. the ugliest fashion trend ever.

• Warm parkas are pretty much a winter necessity here.

Part of the reason CG and it's competitors became so popular for women is that they actually have a more flattering cut than traditional parkas. Women actually still have a semblance of a waist in them.

• It's a "fashion statement"; supposedly all sheep must own one and be in. Kinda like everything from Marc Jacobs (I see girls with handbags from this "designer" every-fucking-where).

Daft, idiotic sheep wear parkas - especially during the summertime (like wtf!!)

• I'm Canadian and as a kid lived close to a university. We always got a kick out of foreign students who, having never experianced snow before, never mind a Canadian winter, would whip out the parkas and balaclavas, gloves and boots in the fall when the weather hits 4c. They have no idea what's coming! 4c and people walk around in a t-shirt. -35 is coming! No Canadian would bother with a parka without snow. That's just silly.

What Girls Said 18

• Where I live it gets pretty cold (canada) and I can see why people wear them. Especially in the winter. Though I would find it way too hot to wear it in places that don't get that cold.

But I agree, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's a known brand now and is popular. People like popular things. There's nothing wrong with liking a popular thing, but it's kinda funny seeing so many people wearing the same thing. But I guess they must like them or else they wouldn't wear them?

But to each their own! I like parkas, but I'm not shelling out that kind of money for a jacket like that. Plus it's real fur trim, which makes me sad. I prefer the fake fur.

• They're expensive, therefore everyone has to have one. It's idiotic, really.

• But lots of things are expensive, right? These things are legit really popular... I don't get it.

• haha... how do they do it? I swear those parkas are made for like negative temperatures...

• They're made for Arctic and Antarctic explorers (if you have the real deal).

• I would wear it in very cold weather. It looks functional and warm

• I don't like them too. Half the women I see outside are wearing an olive coloured parka!

static.sourceboards.com/.../rds3ljkbaneolv.jpg

• That one is made for warmer weather, the ones I'm taking about are the super warm down filled ones...

• no. they aren't big in japan. i don't see anyone wearing that here in tokyo.
    this type of military coat with or without fur trim was somewhat popular in 08/09

• I think they're cute

• Those are Canada Goose very expensive. Why it's a fashion statement I will never know. As for warmth I have a parka made by Tough Duck at 1/4-1/3 the price that is just as warm. I read through the comments it seems only 1 other picked up on the moniker Canada Goose.

• I don't think they look bad. And where I am, winters are so bad and cold. I don't see anything wrong with them.

• It's just cool, Style is weird like that.

• Heya!
    Yeah... Canada Goose i really popular now. I didn't need it when i lived up north but now i see everyone wearing one. I guess it's a fashion trend. It is meant for cold weather though.

• yeah! but do you see people wearing those parkas even when it's not cold? how do they do it?

• HELL yeah they do. I look at them kinda weird. But i don't know if they are genuinely cold or just trying to show off (i think most are) those things are like 500-900$$. And i live in a part of the province where it's quite warm in Fall/Winter and all you need is a rain jacket nothing more then that.
      :)

• I live in Denmark so I've worn them in the winter because it's cold as fuck here, I don't think they're pretty or anything they're just comfortable (Not Canada Goose though that shit is all about animal abuse)

• the real question is why not? by the way i am the type to be cold really easily so those would be great for me but i hate them coz they're too big

• why is it ugly?

• How did leggings as pants and camel toes become fashionable?

• Its comfy

• its a coat? ... these coats are ugly anyway, I don't know why anyone would even wear them.

• Just another stupid fashion trend...

• I only wore those when I lived up north, during blizzards and such.