Does Being Ugly and Shy Make Me Unattractive?

I'm going to be honest, I'm hideous. And before yo say"Oh, no you're not." I am. It's like my genetics fucked me up. To make things worse, I'm really shy. I feel awkward and inferior compared to others, especially prettier girls. So, because of this, I only have a few friends.

Most Helpful Guy

• Being ugly & shy doesn't make you unattractive. It is how you express yourself in public. Don't have inferior complex of any body.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's safe to say that most girls feel "ugly" at 14. I know I did, and sometimes I still feel self conscious at times. But that's normal.

What isn't good is allowing yourself to feel like other girls are prettier, and therefore, more deserving of positive attention. It simply is not true, and man, do I wish I could go back in time and teach my 14 year old self that! For a long time, I was friends with a girl who got allll the looks from guys, and seemed to have girls flocking to be friends with her. I tried everything to make myself into what I thought other people would like. But then it dawned on me... the ONLY thing she had that I didn't, was a heck of a lot of self confidence. She talked about herself in a positive light at all times... and there I was, the shy friend who thought the best way to attract people was through self deprication.

So the first thing you need to do, is to get out of your head the notion that you are ugly. Cause I'm willing to bet that you aren't. Also, I know it's easier said than done, but try your best to carry yourself with more confidence. Never talk yourself down, because in my experience, people are more likely to take advantage of your insecurities than they are to be understanding. Girls and guys alike gravitate toward positivity. So forget about the other girls, and work on loving yourself first. Never be afraid to show anyone your worth. You will save yourself a lot of heartache the sooner you come to that realization!

I hope I've helped. Stay strong :)

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• You're 14, and that's a difficult age. I used to be very shy but that changed a lot as I got older. It's hard because people say "just be confident," but it's easier said than done. You say you are hideous, I'm not sure that's true but I'm not going to argue with you. It's important to remember that looks aren't everything. Some people are pretty but there's not much else there. Focus on developing your hobbies and thinking about what you really like about yourself. With time, you'll be more comfortable talking to others :)

• Being ugly makes a person objectively unattractive, yes.
    And shy - to people who appreciate outgoing attitude - I guess yes too...

But you forget that what some people find ugly others may find beautiful. Also - some people love shy people and think of it as a quality, not a flaw.

• Why would your genetics make you ugly?

I think shy people just have a harder time in general.