Girls, Should you still cut your hair if you're trying to grow it out?

I have naturally curly hair. I used to HATE it. I did two rounds of the Japanese straightening treatment years ago, and I really regret it how. Anyway, my hair has grown out and the straight hair from that treatment is the last inch or two on my ends. I have long hair and love having it long. But my ends are disgusting. They don't match the texture of my hair now, they're dry, lots of breakage and split ends. How much should I cut off? But doesn't cutting your hair defeat the purpose of growing it out?

12

Most Helpful Girl

• See, the thing about split ends is... they're ends, that are split. Right?

If you don't cut them off, then, they can -- and by all means will -- continue to split, gradually, up the length of the hair.

It's the same reason you cut frayed ends off of clothing. If you don't, then the frayed ends will catch on things, and pull, and then fray even more than they would if they were cut off.

And that's not even mentioning the simple fact that yr hair looks like crap if it's got a bunch of split ends. lol

What Girls Said 11

• Trim It, Especially the Dead ends" so it can grow out in a Better fashion and Not Look... Disgusting.
    Even though you are Growing 'It out,' merely keep it trimmed so it can Grow Out more beautifully.
    I myself still have some of my own Natural curl, no matter how many times I decide to either keep it Short Or... Long.
    To Continue a good Pattern and Purpose here, dear, it is Best from the Rest to go to a Reputable Salon from now On
    Leave the curls, Get a style that Whirls.
    Good luck. xx

• If those ends are damaged beyond repair you need to trim them away so they don't keep breaking off and splitting new hair growth. If you are on a hair growing journey I recommend YouTube videos regarding hair growing. There are a lot of tips on how to do this optimally. There are girls with seriously long gorgeous amazing hair on there. Go check it out☆

• If you don't cut the straightened ends off, the curly hair is going to start breaking off too. Cut off the most damaged straightened ends off and trim it as it keeps growing.

• Cutting your hair doesn't slow down growth.

I'm sure you're growing your hair out to look pretty. Having nasty unmatched split ends is not pretty.

Your hair will grow out again.

• Cut it, it's actually healthier to trim your hair every 3-4 months when your growing it out to get rid of split ends and things of that nature. I was once told that makes it grow faster.

• Trimming them once in a while will do your hair wonders

• I'm not sure about the cutting part but I was going to suggest using coconut oil. I use it in my hair as conditioner and I also take coconut oil supplements to keep my hair healthy and to it feels like it helps it grow to me at least. For years now like once a year i'll cut my hair for locks of love and I hate it being short so I always want it to grow back as fast as possible and i've noticed how coconut oil helped, so just a suggestion.

• I think you should cut the ends off. Your hair will look much healthier.

• cut it, you'll prefer your hair to be one texture even if it takes a long time to grow out. cut exactly the amount thats permed

• It's actually healthier to trim or cut your hair every 8 weeks. My hair was below my hips and I used to cut it every 8 weeks and it grew super fast. Too bad I cut it super short last week. Plus cutting off split ends helps with growth.

• Cut them off.