Why do girls sometime dress like they're cold at the top and warm at the bottom?

It is getting a little warmer where I'm at recently and I have seen people dress little differently. Today I saw a girl wearing a leather jacket on the top like ahe was cold and a short skirt at the bottom like she was warm. I see girls dress like this often around the change of the season. Why is this? Are them giving up comfort for fashion?

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty simple, actually.

• "Layering" implies "things we can put on and/or take off whenever". We can't really do that with clothes for the lower body -- when it comes to skirts/leggings/pants/tights, what we have on is what we have on. (Unless we're wearing tear-away pants, like basketball players wear for warmups... lol)
    On the other hand, a jacket is something we can actually toss on, or take off, at a moment's notice.
    That ^^ is the most important reason.

The other two reasons:

• The fashionista reason: Thicker clothes for the lower body look like crap. Really, they do. Sry.
    This is what you are describing as "giving up comfort for fashion". HELL YES we do that <3
    This isn't a problem with the upper body -- there's loads of jackets that are stylish af.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...95c692b39a.jpg

• The practical reason: Human beings don't have as many thermal nociceptors (= cells in the skin that sense cold) in our legs as we do elsewhere on the body.
    I mean, can you really remember feeling a sharp cold-pain in yr LEGS, anytime in the past? Bet you can't, because that isn't really something that happens.
    As long as our feet, hands, head, and upper body are in something warm, we are still chillin', as long as it's not like –40º or some shit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lets just say:

1. Some girls dress for fashion and will feel hot or cold if it makes them look good to do so.

2. Some girls dress for comfort meaning if the weather is hot or cold they will adjust what they wear and fashion comes second.

What Girls Said 8

• That's called fashion. There are also girls who wear sweaters above their shorts. Luckily our legs get cold so fast.

• anythingandeverythingcollege.files.wordpress.com/.../bikini-uggs.jpg
    Agreed. Makes no sense to mix things like miniskirts or bathing suits with furlined boots.

• Oh, this has always puzzled me too. o. O
    Wth? Either you're cold or you're not.

• I do this a lot! It's because the weather is too hot for long pants and a jacket up top, but too cold to just go to shorts/skirt and short sleeve. I could wear jeans and a tshirt, but I think a skirt with a leather jacket (like the girl you saw) is more cute. It's kind of like a phase between long pants long sleeves to shorts and short sleeves

• I don't know what you are talking about, I've still got leggings under my jeans lol

• I think 'cause they wanna mix it up and long sleeves goes with short skirt

• That's called style, or maybe beauty is pain 💁

• If my core is warm, my arms and legs can usually be fine. I don't really notice the cold there as often as I do my stomach and back area. I still dress appropriately, though. I sometimes wear a dress and my leather jacket, I don't feel cold and I feel comfortable.

What Guys Said 1

• Yes I would agree they are giving up comfort for fashion but as you say still doesn't explain the multi layers on top and a short skirt on the bottom. I haven't a clue to be honest about that one.