Why do people assume skirt are only for female?

Most Helpful Girl

• SOME people assume skirts are only for women, others do not! I, for one, don't believe clothes have a gender... to me, they're just clothes. True, there are gender "norms" in society, but everyone should wear whatever makes them happy! If a guy wants to wear a skirt or dress, go for it! If it makes you happy, don't worry what these "people" you mention think.

• I like how you think with skirts being for men and female but I have to disagree with the statement that clothes don't have a gender. it is written in Deuteronomy 22:5 that a man shall not wear anything that pertains to a man nor will a woman put on a man's garments for all who do are an abomination to the Lord there God

• Well, if Deut. 22:5 is to be taken literally, by that logic women are forbidden from wearing pants - as these pertain to a man. Does that mean every woman who wears jeans is a crossdressing? And thereby an abomination? Are pants a male garment only? If so, I am totally screwed, I love my jeans. :)

• pant's won't made back then. Think about t logically, if skirts weren't only for women then (made for both) what makes you think they're only for women now? they aren't only for women

What Girls Said 9

• because gender norms have been attached to that piece of clothing for centuries.

• what makes it so logical though that we have to follow it?

• I'm aware of that, trust me, but you have to remember that going about that the right way that doesn't impose on people is wrong. it will only distance people rather than bring them to Jesus.

• well then i'll just be not as good at it cuz it is written that we must reproof, and correct those who believe falsely. God will help me, i'm positive. plus all i'm doing is telling them. then i'm out. then it's between that person and God

• Sadly they all assume that because that's what everyone is taught even though it is not true. Just as others ha e stated, clothes have no gender. You can't go out into the wild and find a herd of wild clothing to say it's male or female. Sadly everyone seems to think their their ideas and values of how things should be is undeniably important and unmistakably correct that they feel the need to enforce it and anyone who thinks otherwise has gotta have something wrong with them. You know... standard BS stuff.

• I see. as messed up as this is that many say guys can't wear skirts, there are clothes for men and for women. cuz of the design. but there is no design in the skirt that's only for female. if anything it's design for men cuz of the free space between the legs

• because the media!

• Let's face it. Skirts look much better on girls (especially with nice and smooth legs) than guys. Guys are generally just on the hairier side and may not look too appealing under a skirt. Hence, people believe skirts SHOULD be for girls

• there is this wonderful thing called 'long skirt' hence hairy legs are hidden

• Skirts are generally in feminine colors and patterns. Plus skirts aren't considered very manly.

• Because whoever claims that is forced into the small box of sexist, derogatory, gender-biased thinking which unfortunately includes the crude stereotypes such as the one above and should get past such simple minded thinking as soon as they possible can.

• Because only females wear skirts? They are feminine and make the person wearing them look feminine.

• They aren't feminine at all. Ancient warriors wore skirts.

• fine, in all western cultures, a man wearing a skirt would be a transvestite... some ancient or foreign cultures it would be normal, but not here and now

• it's not transvestite. if it were that way all over the world then I would possibly accept it but it isn't. a skirt is is basically just a tube of fabric. why is that just for female? it was made for men and women in it's beginning.

• Cause they are!!!

• now give me an actual reason. your reasoning right here is completely empty

• Because its feminine and shows off our legs

• then there are long skirts which completely covers all of the legs, your statement is invalid. also why do you say skirts are feminine? are they really? or is that what you believe just cuz you were told that? or perhaps you got that from noticing all the skirts women wear and men don't? were you even given a valid reason that gave you he conclusion that skirts are feminine?

• doesn't matter what you are, if you reject Jesus Christ in front of mankind (and privately) in this life, Jesus will reject you in front of the Father and the angels of God. no sinner, no flesh will inherit heaven

• ... This is weird can we stop talking now

What Guys Said 15

• Well actually skirts and dresses are what men wear in some cultures like in the middle east and Africa the men wear dresses instead of pants because of the intense heat or Scottish wear kilts. But in general I don't see it as a male piece of clothing, nor should it ever be considered one, in my opinion.

• Because people will see your ball sacks

• I've answered this answer to man others and i'll do the same for you. long skirts, your argument's invalid

• Because it looks better on females

And skirts don't look that attractive on guys

And it's just uncomfortable and we all know girls get the uncomfortable clothes

• why are skirts uncomfortable? have you ever tried one? I not, then don't say they are. I tried it. vary comfortable

• well for the cold issue, layers. that's what I do. also what do you mean by motor skills?

• You cannot run, sidestep, gallop, play any sport in skirts. They fly everywhere and trip you up. I tripped on it the one time I wore it

• The Scots wear skirts *cough* I mean kilts.

• I don't count those. they're ugly and I also think they are to short. (at the knees or above is to short I say

• Yeah but they also clay mores, and other large weapons and fought bloody battles against the British so I think they are the only men who can be the exception.

• Let's you and me go kill a king my friend.

s3.amazonaws.com/.../1322290794_braveheart.jpg

• i'm not for killing. I would rather all my actions that I do be in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ

• Because testicles.

• It's for men too

• Because they are typically only worn by females or cross dressers?

• it is t cross dressing. but i'll as this why only for women? why is considered feminine?

• (NOT)

• What on earth

• Skirts actually are for females, idiot.

• give me 1 actual factual reason. not an opinion! not just something like "just the way it is" or society" or whoever. I can give you some good reasons. but first let's hear yours sense you seem like you know all about it

• don't say what I was going to say cuz actually I was not gonna say kilts. kilts are ugly to the sight, the fabric isn't good enough (in my opinion, not soft enough) and I hear there quite expensive. you still can't explain why you say skirts are for women only. stop talking like a fool. you were told that for many times cuz it was the norm. either that or it's just what you seen so much so that you took it in as (in your option) as fact (which is complete trubish)

skirts are manly. you can't explain why other parts of the world men wear skirts regularly and they see it a manly 9other then kilts)

• but to be fair kilts are basically skirts too cuz it's a one tube of fabric that hangs down from the waist. tat is the literal definition of skirt. (not assuming it to genders at least. but in all truth, you're lied to. you deceive yourself by saying skirts are only for women.

but that doesn't even really matter in the end. what really matters is that we all repent and put our faith and trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior cuz that's what he is

• Because guys look shit in the skirts and I don't care that scots wears those, they still look crap!

• that's just your opinion

• poop has nothing to do with clothes on men. have logic. nay! better yet, have Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior

• God that's HOT?

• Would u use it

• what do you mean by "would you use it?" I have worn skirts before and let me say, it is a huge relief on my groin, vary comfy and soft, and I don't care how people judge me for saying what I did

• again (I mentioned it to many others but i'll mention it again) LONG SKIRTS

• It would look terrible

• They just are in our culture. Women had trouble breaking gender stereotypes when they started wearing pants as well. Today women have pretty much shattered their gender expectations, while there has been very little progress for men. That is why women can wear anything and it isn't considered cross dressing, but if a guy does it then it is labeled a cross dresser.

Unfortunately feminism has only been concerned with women's issues, so just ignores men's issues. Sometimes they even act like men have no issues. That is why there has been almost no progress for men, and why so many men now refuse to be a part of the movement they once believed in.

In order for men to wear skirts and not be seen as wearing women's clothing a better movement for equality would need to emerge. I don't see that happening though. Most guys are just giving up and retreating to their virtual worlds.

• Actually feminism is not only concerned with female issues. If you define the word "feminism" it is the belief that women and men are equal socially, politically, and economically. Although not all feminists correctly identify with that point of view (which is a radical feminist) that is the general belief. Also when some decide to wear a suit and tie or some other outfit classified as masculine going off of personal experiences I have been called lesbian, transgender or other terms I do not identify myself with. (Of course no offense to those who do) so our fight with clothing stereotypes is long from over. But your other opinions you have stated I have a polite respect for and agree with.

• Most anti feminists I know actually support equality, but we can't support a movement that clearly doesn't have our best interest at heart.

• @bat0209 you don't know what you're talking about. that may be the definition but I researched it and feminist really do not care about men. it's all about special treatment for themselves. look up this thing called heforshe. a true abomination to our one and only God (from the Bible). women want all rights and everything that is to hard to do, they try to get the men to do it for them

• Do you wear thong too under the skirt? ;)

• nope. if I were wearing my skirt... then only the skirt was subtracted, my bottom half would be completely naked. underpants, regular pants, thongs, whatever... under the skirt would defeat the purpose of the skirt. the purpose is for freedom in the groin area. no penis and balls constraint. why do you think so men guys sag?

• Hahahahaah :-P have a nice day man

• thank you, you too