Is it offensive for an American woman to wear a sari?

I find saris very beautiful and feminine and I really want to buy one and wear one but I don't know of people of the Indian culture would find it offensive or flattering that someone not from their culture admire their sari. My boyfriend of Indian and he let me know that it'd be fine but I don't know if he's just saying that because he is my boyfriend.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, he did tell you he is fine with it. I have also seen many western women wear saris when they are getting married to their Indian husbands. I think Indian people in general will be very appreciative of your interest for their culture. The people who are more likely to be offended are teenage liberal white girls on Tumblr... But screw them.

I think the whole "cultural appropriation" thing is such bullshit anyway. I mean, I'm Scottish and I'm not gonna get all offended and mad if I see a black dude wearing a kilt. :P

Most Helpful Girl

• It's fine. My friend wore a lehenga saree at my sister's wedding.

I don't know If it is the same case with your boyfriend , but in my family we have lot of elderlies /most are men. So she had to make sure she wore it without revealing too much skin.

What Guys Said 7

• Hmmm... unless you are afraid of being stonned... don't worry about it..

lol sorry just joking... no... i mean... i'd appreciate it if a foreigner appreciates kipao... the traditional Chinese dress... same as how Muslims would appreciate it if you accept and appreciate their dress code.

Unless you get weird looks from Indians, dont worry about it.. and if you do... and they say something.. try to strike a conversation to get mutual understanding.. your man should be able to help you

• No, we see saris all the time on older Indian women. It's no shock in urban locations where there are Indians. In red states, there are fewer Indians, so it'd be more rare, but there's no reason to be offended by it.

• if you asked him and he said it's fine, it's fine

• Wear whatever the hell you want. If anyone gets offended tell them to fuck off.

• Wear what you like. As long as both you and your boyfriend like it on you it'll be fine.

• I don't see why it would be. It's clothes. If a male can say he is a female then I don't think your clothes are going to be that big of an issue

• Im indian and have no problem with u wearing a sari. Do what u want

What Girls Said 1

• Not at all! Personally, I would think it's really cool! :)