Would you have a child that looks nothing like you?

Would you ever have a child of a mixed-race that looks nothing like you?

Would you ever raise a single mom's child that looks nothing like you?

I certainly would not have a mixed-race child, because it's more comfortable for me to raise a child that looks like me. But when it comes to raising a child that looks nothing like me- especially when it comes to single moms and their kids- it's a resounding NO!

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh my god, I am a mixed raced child, so therefore I can personally attest that this statement is 100% true. I don't think race mixing should not occur because certain races are inferior to one another, but because it rapes the child's future. It's such a shame to see these idiot parents riding the newest trend of trying to be multicultural because it makes no sense, there is, and will never be any country called Anglo-Japan Anglo-Pakistan, etc.

By race mixing you are spitting in the face of your great race whatever that may be, and of thousands of years of culture to create a hideous freak of science. Why the hell did we even have world war one and two to give different ethnic groups their freedom (ie: Slovakia) if we, and them lose our identities anyways? I remember a joke in King of the Hill were a white guy is making french fries with soy sauce and people laugh at the contradiction, the life of a mixed raced person is no different. Laws should be passed indefinitely to keep people from ever having experience this great and dire tragedy first hand. This is an epidemic that is sweeping the nation and raping our communities, nations etc. It must be stopped and we must all do our part.

Long live homogeneity! May this Prophesied "race of the future" never bear its hideous face.

• I disagree with your points. No races are "inferior" to one another; all cultures have their strengths and weaknesses, but no race is "better" or "worse" than another. This is the cause of racism: ignorance. And what do you mean by "raping the child's future"?

Just because you're mixed race, it does not mean that you're an aberration or a "freak of science" as you say. And World War I and II were not about giving ethnic groups their freedom, it was about alliances fighting for power.

• I used to live in a country in East Africa. I could tell several different groups of people apart, even though they were all African. The Dinka of Sudan look different from other East Africans. So do Ethiopians and Somalis. Even in my country, I knew some people who could tell someone's tribe by looking at them.

So, are they different races? To us, they're all black. But to them, they're just as different from each other as we are from Latin Americans or Native Americans.

Race is arbitrary.

• He's being sarcastic you idiot lol lol wtf

What Girls Said 16

• I hate to say this, because I don't like getting down on anyone, but it's statements like this that really upset me. I am the product of a biracial relationship. My father is black and my mother is white. I don't have very dark skin like my father, nor do I have light skin like my mother. If I had to choose, I'd say I look more like my mother--although some people say I look nothing like her. I don't look like my father, and while those differences never bothered me growing up, I know a lot of biracial/multiracial people who did struggle. It's statements like that, that make it hard for children of mixed races to feel like they belong anywhere.

You have the right to your opinion and the right to choose what qualities that you prefer in a potential partner.

But I just want to offer this food for thought: According to the most recent population data released in '08 (as reported by msn.com): "The most recent data, released May 1, shows the number of Americans of “two or more races” was 4,856,136 as of last July. The headline, though, is growth. Up from 4,711,932 the previous year, the tally indicates a 3 percent gain, which is 10 times the 0.3 percent growth of the white population in the same period and three times the overall U.S. population growth of about 1 percent. It’s about the same as the growth rates of the Hispanic and Asian populations."

10 TIMES the rate of the white population!

Now, I don't know if you are a white person or not. But, at the rate the population is going---soon it won't matter because people of a single race will no longer be the majority. So, you're going to run into a lot of people out there who are mixed.

Now, according to the U.S. census in November of '09: "There are approx. 13.7 million single parents in the U.S. today, who are responsible for raising 21.8 million children. 84% of the custodial parents are MOTHERS."

These numbers are only continuing to grow. So, again, the likelihood that you will meet someone in the future that has a child---pretty high.

So, before you decide to close yourself off to the possibility of dating someone who has a child, just remember that life has a wicked sense of humor and the more that you put off that you don't want something, the more likely it's going to happen to you.

• I am a mixed race child, as are my children.

I've always found racism sad. I wonder how people like that were raised, the type of abuse they suffered, and though they never will feel empathy towards me, I feel compassion towards them.

How terrible your life must be to actively hate. Though most feel it's ignorance that perpetuates racism, I found, in my experience it is mostly propelled by fear. If it isn't race - it's gender or religion, or status. Doesn't matter - people who are profoundly unhappy have to find an outlet or they self destruct.

Though my skin is a different color, and there are those out there who will hold it against me - I am untethered by hatred. I am more free than you will ever be.

I don't think that you hate "colored" people, I think you hate yourself. And that, my friend is the saddest thing ever.

• I am black and I've only been attracted to white men my whole life so I've always expected my children to be mixed but even mixed kids look like their parents. I even consider adoption. my best friend is black and adopted by white people and you know what? they wanted her not for her looks but for the love they could give her. THATS WHAT HAVING CHILDREN IS ABOUT! not creating genetic copies of yourself! grow up and stop being so narcissistic!

• What you are saying to me sounds completely alien to me. I'm half Japanese half Caucasian, my dad is full Japanese and my mom has blonde hair and blue eyes. Even though I have dark eyes and hair, everyone has always said I look like my mom. You forget that mixed race means mixed; offspring get traits of both parents. Your kids are not clones of yourself. Children grow up learning the mannerisms and expressions, facial and habitual, of their parents so it's not like they won't look ANYTHING like you. If you think an appearance is really just a summary of vague colors and not a unique point in a gradient you are obviously very dismissive and unobservant of people. That said, appearance really shouldn't have anything to do with respecting and loving someone who is a member of the family. If that's not your romantic preference, that's up to you, but an adult to child, familial relationship should be based on personality. Besides, you shouldn't breed just to make pureblooded children for the sake of them being pureblooded. You should have children because you love your significant other and you both believe you can raise a respectable person imbued with your morals that you can be proud of. Your ability to parent shouldn't have anything to do with race.

• well my mom's asian and my daddy's white so I look a little like both but I can see why it would be weird to have a kid that didn't look like you but it happens.

it's quite hurtful if my dad thought that because I look a bit asian that he wouldn't want me. that would mean he's racist and just odd.

• stick with you OWN race, get someone your OWN race to have your baby and then you can see all your features in your baby... but if your with a woman who has a mixed race baby and you really love her then you would probably take care of the baby, right? but just stay with your race you'll be safe... and all the racism boo hoo crap, it happends all around the world get over it, and who cares if the children grow up this way its the parents that raised them that's the way they parented... but no I would raise the baby, I want to be able to see myself in my child.

• That may be your opinion, but I believe everyone is a mix of something if you look high enough in the family tree. It's hard to believe that even you are 100% of whatever race you are. Just saying.

• I hope by some freak accident you get someone of another race pregnant and the baby comes out lookin just like you..

• As a biracial child I think this is sad. I know racism is hurtful because I've been the victim on several different occasions and I know that its something that will probably never go away, but how can you call yourself a good person if you intentionally hurt people by making horrible comments about the color of there skin or there culture. I'm proud of who I am and where I come from. just remember discrimination is what started the holocaust.

• i have a mixed child and my beautiful daughter looks like me? you should just find a woman with no kids if its that big of a problem.

• Whether the child looks like you or not, it never will look like you; especially when it gets old. Why would it? It has none of your genes. If anyone thinks so when getting in a situation like this in the first place, is a moron.

• i think love for a kid is love. period.

• No I would want to have my own baby.

• i hate the fact that in this day and age that people are still racist you don't sound mature enough to be raise any child. and believe me no single mother would allow such an idiot to be part of her child's life. GROW UP

• Racism is going to happen anyway. Why don't you grow up?

• I KNOW RACISM IS GOING TO HAPPEN..it would be very stupid to think otherwise...doesn't mean it's right, and it pricks like you who pass racisim on to their children. Children do not know right from wrong until they are taught it... it's adults that teach them that being a different colour is wrong. Nobody is born full of hate

• So well said

• ? If the child is not yours in the first place what does it matter if they look like you? You're still raising someone else's child. Unless you care what others think and you're worried you might get funny reactions for taking care of a child of another race.

Personally I don't see myself having a child with someone out of my race in the first place to even have a mixed child. Well, I would date a mixed guy, provided he was mixed with my ethnicity so technically I might have a mixed race child..to me that doesn't matter, but I don't think I would have a kid with a guy that didn't have any percentage of my race at all. It's not raising a child that is an issue, it's dating out of my race all together that I probably wouldn't do.

• you made up your mind...so what's the question?

are you just gathering opinions or advice?

What Guys Said 6

• I would never ever pass judgement on a child for any reason. What strikes me though is your second question about raising a single mom's child to begin with. If you date someone then you are not responsible for any of their baggage. If you are committed to someone then you support them with their baggage but in my opinion when it comes to child rearing only being married obligates you to raise a single mom's child whatever their race. So my point is the child should never be discriminated at nor disrespected by anyone that enters their lives but single moms looking for a provider and an assistant to child rearing need look at child day cares and their exes and the grand parents, NOT the men they are dating. It sounds inconsiderate I know but the child deserves more than a mom who would pass them onto their bf. What also strikes me is the thought that a child's race somehow is an issue to begin with for you. I think it is clear you are not attracted to men outside your race and thus this should not even be a thought of yours but to each her own I guess.

• Mixed race yea why not? It's like playing a raffle you never know what the results will be! Take me for instance I'm a Cuban/Turkish mix, but I look hardly like either of my parents. However I'm also far healthier and energetic then a lot of people. If you've ever taken a class on genetics you would know that all races are actually mutations caused by the environments they were in. White people are white, because of a mutation that happened from them being in cold climates.(It was very un-beneficial for them to have high resistance to sunlight) Dark skin which is high concentrations of melanin(which actually functions as photo-synthesizer of Vitamin D) is only useful for those living in areas where heat and sunlight is in abundance and in the sunbaked living hell of Africa it pays off to have skin that protects you from the sun. However don't peg me as being a mixed-race is awesome advocate as there are negatives to it as well. One thing in particular is that "mutations" is actually evolution, but much like science their are mistakes. More mutations happen from "pure" relationships then interracial ones and as a result mixed-race children "evolve" far less. Also I'm sure many of you will claim that there has been no evolution of humanity, but in actuality there are plenty of examples.(ebola immunity for one). As for marrying a woman with her child, children love me for some odd reason... My uncles daughter completely ignored her father and crawled over to me instead and that's just one example lol I have plenty. So yea I'd imagine me and her son/daughter would get along just fine and as such I would have no problem with it.

• Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who already has a child, so the question doesn't really apply to me. I really wouldn't mind adopting and raising another child though, even if they didn't look like me.

I wouldn't take race into consideration if I entered a relationship with someone, and if she had a problem with me being Chinese, Scottish and Ukrainian, I wouldn't want to be with someone so ignorant anyway. I prefer open minded people.

You would prefer having a child that resembles you, fine. I would too. But I'm also accepting of different races and cultures. The way I see it is that we're all human beings who deserve to be treated equally.

• I would raise another woman's child if I end up marrying her and become a step dad. I might even find myself adopting one day - but not in the near future. But if I adopt, I would adopt a girl who is white like me.

• Absolutely bizarre!

What makes you think that any race is pure? If one is mixed 40-60, or 30-70, what difference does it make? Isn't it trivial to seek out what exact percentage mix someone is? Why do people bother with such stupid things?

• i hear you dude. I wouldn't want a kid that doesn't look like me