Would African American girls and mixed girls get angry or offended if I start to edge my hair?

I have stubborn and annoying baby hairs that refuse to stay down no matter how much gel or spray I use. I stumbled upon a video of a mixed girl doing an edging/taming of baby hairs with a toothbrush and edge control and I thought that was super neat and logical. It's just the fact I only see mixed or African American girls do it, and I don't want them to accuse me of stealing their culture and whatnot.

Most Helpful Guy

• You have to stop caring what others will think of you. If you want to do it, go right ahead, it's your hair after all.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that a lot of the other opinions are over simplifying the idea of cultural appropriation and how it effects those who are so against it. Black people don't care about the fact that you may be wearing a particularly black hairstyle or African descended clothing or whatever, it is the fact that often times black people do something (like laying their edges or braiding their hair) and it's seen as ghetto or negative, but when a non-black person does it it's amazing and trendsetting and oh so original. No one cares what you do to your hair as an individual, it's the societal hatred of the black image that we black Americans despise. As long as you don't think you're better than black people for doing the style or that you are creating some new and hot thing (which you clearly aren't since you've already said you're getting the idea from the black community) it should be fine and you should feel free to do whatever you want with your hair. At the same time all of the people claiming cultural appropriation is "bullshit" need to check their privilege and consider a different perspective. Happy edge laying :)

What Guys Said 5

• As a black person I will honestly tell you this piece of advice; don't worry about those fear-mongering hateful black people who will accuse you of "cultural appropriation" or whatever. Just do what is best for your hair. :)

• You've dealt with this type of hate by black girls in your life often enough to ask a question about it? That's a shame. :-/

• I hear that, Prof.

• Wise man here people, listen to him.

• Who gives a shit, do what you want, if they say anything tell them to fuck off and get off their high horse with the "stealing our culture" shit. I've heard of black folk getting upset about dreads, uh how the fuck do they think they invented dreads, the damn Vikings and Greeks had it.

• Dreads are so 90s though at school lots of girls had box braids they were all white... very outdated hairstyle

• Who cares if they did its a free country its your hair you can do whatever you want with it.

• wtf is edge hair

• Why would it offend a race for what you do to your hair? It's sad that we have really come to this.

What Girls Said 18

• This is bull💩 yeah I said it! Why would we give a shhh about anybodies hair technique that is edging. This is NOT a culture thing. You always post these race questions man. If it isn't lighting ur skin or etc etc. Do whatever it is u want (except lighting ur skin, u have nice skin don't be a brainwashed society zombie), stealing a culture per-say is way more than tooth brushing ur baby hair's down with jam😑 I honestly feel you are just doing this for attention now, smh. No black girl in the history of black will ever get mad at this fucktarded thing... of all the thing's to be upset about or take a stand against this is not on any black girl's mind right now.

• Actually, I'm not because it's a legitimate question since I've noticed that ONLY the blacks and biracial people do it. Hell, even the YouTube videos were mainly those two races. It just made me wonder if it was a culture thing and I was legitimately looking up videos how to tame my baby hairs because like I mentioned, nothing flattens those suckers, and edging popped up. My sister mentioned it once but warned me it was something cultural. I've never seen a white person or an Asian or a non curly haired Hispanic edge their hair so I was just asking.

• Bruh well whomever... I MEANNN WHOMEVERRR!! said this to u or feel's this way is FUKTARDEDDDD! This has to be some shhh some suburb chick's bully other's on... edge the shhh out of ur hair. This is not a culture thing lol. ur last name isn't Kardashian/Jenner! Now they are appropriater's in full form!

• Most likely since some people are offended by literally everything lol. Do it though, I don't see why they'd care. They have their hair relaxed/straightened & you don't see anyone complaining about that.

• I have no idea what edging hair is, hairstyles don't belong to any culture or any ethnic group... your hair is yours not someone else's if they find it a problem that's their tough cheese...

• You use grease or some sort of oil to lay down your baby hairs by using a tooth brush or something bristled.

• If the edges must be laid by all means lay them

• It a culture thing!

• *to save you time: yes you can* to not save time ~>> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL people took that stupid bish for realsies? she's just an idiot!!! HAIR does NOT make or break a culture. thats like saying no one else can eat tacos or wear moccasins (yeah i see all y'all wearin Sperry's). completely ridiculous.

• I'm for equality, so personally, I say you should have the right to do it and it's stupid that you even feel the need to ask this question. (Not you are stupid by the way, but it's stupid that you felt the need to ask and make sure about it because you were that scared of offending someone.)

• You know what? You do you, let them accuse you. If that's the way to tame your baby hairs then go for it.

• As I understand it... a lot of them would. But I don't see why... O. o
    You do what you want to do.

• are you white? No, then i dont think they will care. Even then ethnic Spanish gyspsies edge their baby hairs when they do flamenco. And I've never meet a mixed person unless they where into the whole afrocentric thing care. I swear Americans are all so very race driven.

• Uhhh why the hell would we care? Do whatever you want with your hair.

• Well if it works go for it, who cares what someone says.

• Lol why would we care?

We don't own your baby hairs.

• im black myself and NO, I wouldn't be mad or offended. it's your hair, don't let popular belief tell you wearing your hair a certain correlates w/ your race.

• I don't care what you do with your hair, I feel the struggle lol

• Why would we be offended? Its YOUR hair. Do what you want with it.

• Do what you need/want to do for your hair girl. I have baby hairs but I shave them off.

• Why the hell would they/anyone care what you do to your hair...

• Because for some odd reason, there's a stigma or claimed thing to everything. It's like how African American folks get mad at other races for dancing to a lot of rap songs or when a non African person puts weave in their hair.

• That shits just stupid, people can do what ever the hell they want.