Are designer bags an 'investment' ?

Ok so we all know that when we splurge on something that we shouldn't there's usually someone on hand, be it a parent or a sensible man to tell us what a waste of money it is. I've often heard women say that designer bags are an 'investment' as they may increase in value over time.

But how true is this? Do some brands or certain bags from these brands really offer good investment potential?

Or is that just what we will tell our significant others... and lets face it, ourselves, to justify a shiny new handbag with a more expensive price tag.

Most Helpful Guy

• if you want to invest in a daily handbag for yourself (not for resale)... buy a louis vouitton. the quality of materials and craftsmanship is made to withstand daily abuse. they last for 50-60+ years. LV's roots are in luggage, most other designer bags are rooted in attire.

• have you looked on ebay for some older stuff? 50s-70s.

• Good to know about LV, they have my fave designs so that's another point for them if I ever have that much money to splurge :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly think it's a waste to buy things like that for so much money. I mean if you got it like that than by all means, but if your having to save up for it then no don't get it. There's so many cheaper knock offs you could buy that no one will even be able to tell the real from the fake so why spend the extra money for a real one?

What Guys Said 9

• They're an investment in the same way leather jackets are. You use them so much the cost-per-use goes down to nothing. A well made bag with a timeless style can be used for 20+ years.

They're not an investment in terms of buying and selling them on at a higher price. Unless you are lucky enough to snag something like a Hermes Birkin (which you could easily resell at a profit).

• How many women buy a single bag in 20 years?

• @Dandeus Haha not many i'll grant you that. I know my missus still has a bag she got for her graduation which was fairly pricey, she uses it often enough. I suppose you can ask, how many guys stick with a single car for 20 years? (even if it's well maintained and works perfectly)

• do any of those women actually end up selling the bag for an appreciated price or do they just use them til they break or are out of style then trash or give it away... or sell it for a lesser price

i'm sure certain bags are an investment but there is little value long term in buying an item when there are 10s or 100s of thousands of them made.

i think it's more of an excuse to validate the purchase of something that we know is a luxury purpose

• there's a few brands that have a high resell value. you'll get nowhere near msrp though.

• @orphan yeah i imagine some very special bags with limited production can appreciate in value. but i figure the majority of bags women buy will not appreciate in value

• I am sorry but if i saw a charge on my credit card for a bag that is that expensive, there would definitely have to be some explaining to do. Its frivolous spending from my point of view. About 5 years ago my ex managed to get a hold of my card, and she bought an 800 dollar coach bag without permission. I disputed the charge and burned the bag.

• i´ve never heard of a freaking hand bag gaining value as it´s being used...

i´d call something an "investment" if it´s gonna last you a very long time over the cheap shit or if you plan on actually selling it later vor a better or only marginally lower price (if it looks used). if neither of those 2 applies, it´s not an investment.

• no, an investment means they are going to give you return on your money or even profit, a designer bag is just stupid to purchase, designer cloths in general are pointless

• Im not sure where you'd be able to sell used designer bags and if anyone would be willing to pay more for a used one rather than just buy a new one

• my ex had a 3000 dollar channel bag. one of her straps broke and she sent it to france to get it repaired for free.

its a status thing... my recent ex has a bunch but she is very successful. not like most of these hoes trying to fit in by getting her man to get it lol

• Haha nice, free bag repair! Wish I had that for my £30 highstreet handbag, broke its strap yesterday :( Oh well *sigh*.

• 3k and the straps break. lol. pos.

• @orphan yep. its made of these brown and orange plastic rings.

• Or is that just what we will tell our significant others... and lets face it, ourselves, to justify a shiny new handbag with a more expensive price tag.

• I've never heard of any designer bags that increase in value over time!

No "investment" that decreases in value in time should even bear the name investments in books - in my opinion. Not even real estate, unless you plan to flip it

What Girls Said 12

• Lol that sounds like a lame excuse a wife would give her husband after he sees their credit card bill.

I am not that knowledgeable on buying and selling/reselling hand bags, but I don't think so.

• I frequently but Coach and Michael Kors. (maybe you're thinking higher than that idk) but typically I use them for a couple years and can easily sell them for at least 50 to 70% of what I paid. So it's definitely NOT an investment but very easy to resale and I don't feel like I lose money.

• Yeah, but that's good to know though. I was thinking I might splurge on a Radley or something when I have a little extra dosh but I never thought about a Coach. I've been put off the idea of MK though because I see them everywhere now.

• @orphan that's a great idea.

• Yeah good plan. If people see you with an obvious designer then they'll probably just assume all your nock offs are the real thing too :)

• I study fashion. Unless the bag is limited edition, a personal item or autographed, it's not going to gain value. That, and the possibility the designer dies, which would raise for about 30% or so.

• I would think that for the most part, anyone wealthy enough to buy a ridiculously expensive purse would prefer something brand-new, and anyone thrifty enough to try get a designer bag second hand is going to try get a good deal on it. They are rarely, if ever, going to result in a profit.

• If I know I am going to have a certain item for the next ten years and it's expensive and classy looking, then it's an investment. But it really has to be some kind of classic never go out of style thing. LIke for example, I like to keep around different turtlenecks in different colors. I'd always have them.

• Not if they were owned by someone famous or used as a prop in a movie. Otherwise don't bother.

• If you get a good deal on it, and plan on selling it within an year, and it has sufficient market value to sell. You can at least break even.

• yes, choose CHANEL

• They're only a good investment if you never use them.

Just keep them in they're respective protective bags, and hide them away in a dark cupboard/wardrobe or somewhere where the light can't damage them.

• Designer bags = HUGE super wank x 100000000000000000

• I don't think so..

• I've bought cheap bags and they lasted for many years. So I don't really care about expensive bags. I have no interest in spending tons of money on clothes.