Is hair removal permanent?

I've Googled it and stuff... but I don't get a straight forward answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hair grows in cycles, only about a quarter or so of follicles are active at any one time. So any removal process that claims to be permanent can only act on the follicles that are active, which would leave at least 3 more treatments. But like most biological processes, it's not a perfect cycle, so some will lay dormant longer than others, which is why you'll rarely get 'perfect' permanent results, though some do get fairly close. And the body tries to heal the damage it gets, which also can result in small amounts of regrowth.

Waxing is not permanent at all, but is cheap, widely available, and requires minimal training for good results. Most people gain a tolerance to the pain in time. Most common side effect seems to be ingrown hairs.

Laser is claims permanency, but also requires a skilled (and best to be licensed) operator. The laser automatically searches out contrast (where hair meets skin), and zaps those areas. Costs are moderate and treatments aren't too long, either. There is some risk of discolouration, but mostly this is caused by sun damage after treatment (or sun-weakened skin before treatment).

Electrolysis is generally regarded as the best for permanence, but is also has the highest costs and pain associated with it. It also takes longer because it is a single needle inserted into each follicle individually. There are few risks associated except for lots of pain and a lightness of the pocketbook.

What Guys Said 3

• I went to American laser that claimed it would be permanent.

It wasn't.

Save your money!

• Only laser hair removal is permanent...and even that takes many procedures!

• Simple hair-removal treatments like shaving and various no-hair creams aren't (some of the more potent "Nair" products Will though, the chemicals kill the hair at the root)

Hair-removal surgery, where they remove all the hair follicles (the part that grows the hair), is permanent (citation needed).

Leg (and VG) waxes, where they lay hot wax on your legs and then rip the hair out by the roots is quite effective, but I don't think permanent, lasting perhaps 3 weeks to a month.

Not that I know a lot about hair removal.

What Girls Said 4

• The only permanent one I know of is laser hair removal it does work well. You need about 6 treatments and even then if only removes about 80-90% of the hair. It is pretty expensive and hurts quite a bit when it is being done but I am glad I did it has worked very well and totally gotten rid of the razor burn I would get from shaving.

• What areas and how long did you wait between sessions? thanks!

• I did my underarms and my whole bikini area. You have to wait about 8 weeks between each session.

• laser should be

• I think there is some lazer treatment you can get to remove hair perminantley. You'd have to have the treatment a few times before it becomes completely perminant and it may be quite expensive, but once it is done there will be no need to buy wax or razors ever again, so you could justify it as saving time, effort, and money :D try googleing lazer hair removal x

• I think so depending on which type you get. some treatments make hair grow up finer and less often, but it's still not completely hairless

• There is a kind where it's permanent? What is that called? And thanks :)